FLY IN (FLY-B-Que) at Wings Field (KLOM)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
OK! You asked for it you got it! Have it and they shall come! Ok enough of the drole tag lines. Jim G and Toby had mentioned in one of my recent posts to have get together. So I am.
It is still in the rough stages but here is what it looks like so far:

Date: Either Saturday May 14 or Sunday May 15
Place/Field: KLOM Wings Field, Just outside Philadelphia (Washington & NY Sectionals)
Time: Afternoonish for now
What it is: Get to meet each other, BBQ thus the term Fly-B-Que is born.
Food: Burgers, Hot Dogs, Soda and Fixins
Extras: Montgomery County Aviation, the FBO @ Wings has kindly agreed to give all Fly-B-Que participants their Wacky Wednesday discount on Fuel even though its a weekend. That's 40 cents off the regular price per gallon (right now 100LL is 2.99 @ Wings so you would pay $2.69 per gallon depending on the price at the time of the Fly-B-Que.
I hope to have some contests and prizes. I don't know how to set up the contests yet but I'm sure with your help we can get some together.
COST: Depends on how many folks sign on.

FWIW Saturday May 14 is the Annual AOPA members / Directors meeting also held every year @ Wings field. I have gone for the past two years and not many folks attend usually only about 10-15 people max.

Note: All are welcome POA boarders, AOPA boarders whom ever.

Is anyone interested in this? Hope so! Lets hear your thoughts and responses Including which date may be better.

Chuck if this Thread clogs up the board my apologies feel free to move it to a special section if you deem necessary.:blueplane:

That sounds fun :) The thing is, since it's a fly in, I'm going to have to rent a Skyhawk, fly over to PTW and pick up Cathy and Sean, then fly back, just to make it official LOL.

Adam,

I like this Fly-B-Que idea. Saturday's best for me. On Sunday I'm in a choral performance and probably can't make it.

Is there an outdoor cookout area there? This sounds great. I'll pack light so I can bring home all my contest prizes. :)

For me, it's a hefty distance at rental prices... Toby, maybe I could fly to L.I. and share a plane with you for the 2nd half of the trip? Your 172 or mine?

--Kath

Toby: There is an area with a few picnic tables just inside the fence from the Airplane parking area and near the car parking area. The FBO is very accommodating and will probably let us use some hangar area or ramp area if we need to as well. They have BBQs in the hanger that we can use or I can drive over my ole Weber. Hopefully we will get a good response to make it all worthwhile.
Katharine it is just under two hours each way direct from KLOM to KBED. I've done Hanscom in about 1.5 hrs but that was in a lance. It would be great if folks would share rides to get here from afar.

:dance:

kath said:
For me, it's a hefty distance at rental prices... Toby, maybe I could fly to L.I. and share a plane with you for the 2nd half of the trip? Your 172 or mine?

--Kath

Sure. You can leave your plane at HWV if you like. If you want, come the night before.

AdamZ said:
Katharine it is just under two hours each way direct from KLOM to KBED.
Yeah, but I fly 152's if I'm solo. And I fly slooooooow.... :)
--Kath

Sounds good, Adam! There are lots of webboard folks in the Philly area, so we should be able to get a good crowd.

Last time I flew out that way it took me 1-1/2 hours to get there and only 45 minutes to get home. :rolleyes:

Lets hope so Toby. I hope folks fly up from the Baltomore & VA area as its only about an hour flying time

Adam either day will work for me but Saturday is better,either way i'll be thereeven if i have to drive from Harrisburg. I've met Toby and a few others and we always have a good time. I'll let some people around here know about it and maybe we can make it a big thing. send me a email with all the info and we'll go from there Dave G.

AdamZ said:
Lets hope so Toby. I hope folks fly up from the Baltomore & VA area as its only about an hour flying time

Yes! Ben, Ron, Ed, Arnold, Len, Gary....who else besides who posted? I know I'm leaving people out. It's going to be a lot of fun meeting more of you. Oh, Chuck, you're in that area. And of course Anthony WAS there until he deserted us.

Shipoke said:
Adam either day will work for me but Saturday is better,either way i'll be thereeven if i have to drive from Harrisburg. I've met Toby and a few others and we always have a good time. I'll let some people around here know about it and maybe we can make it a big thing. send me a email with all the info and we'll go from there Dave G.

Yeah! Missed you last month when I was in Harrisburg, Dave.

Either day works for me although Saturday is slightly better. A whole 15 minutes flight time unless I get headwinds. I'll make sure the tanks are runnin on empty!

Gary

Toby said:
Yes! Ben, Ron, Ed, Arnold, Len, Gary....

I don't have the family schedule for May in front of me but I put the two dates into my Day Timer as tentative.

Len

Sat 5/14 works for me, but it better not rain that day because Commencement is the 15th and I have to put on my cap and gown and march the graduates off the campus.

Ok Folks sounds like Saturday is best for all who have posted so far:

At this point is seems like we have nine boarders and one or two local folks who are not on the board.

Me, Toby, Katherine, Dave G, Joe, Bob Bruneau, Gary, Len and Cap'n Ron. How about it Jim G and Mark Smith its a great flight from smoketown or VAY.

Does anyone have any idea for any contests??

Hmm...like I posted in the other fly-in proposal date - that date doesn't work for me - and Philly is a lot closer than NC...

:(

AdamZ said:
Does anyone have any idea for any contests??
You're talking about on the ground, right? Anything but pie-eating. :no:

I reserved the plane for Sat. :)

I dunno - be kinda neat to try a "closest to the touchdown point" contest. ;)

Chuck I thought of a spot landing contest but I'm not sure how you do it or measure it without getting killed. If anyone knows let me know. Friends here have suggested the following:

First to arrive
First Tail dragger to arrive
Frist helo to arrive ( heck lets just send Bob a prize now)
Aircraft with the oldest or youngest pax ( not pilot but pax)
highest combined age per plane ( add pic and pax ages not plane age)
Highest N # (either straight or when you ad them up
A 5-10 question quiz

Either day is fine with me. Sounds like fun!

Greg
182RG

Adam,

If you get the Country Club reserved I might just show up. :)

Seriously, wish I coud make it.

Spot landing contests are not hard to do. You make a line on the runway with lime, a safe distance from the runway threshold. You can lay a tape measurer 10-15' to the side of the runway, starting at the line. A judge views the landing and sights across the tape to where he judges the plane touched down, and records the distance. Landing short of the line is disqualified. You need an "air boss" with a hand-held to keep things safe. There should be a "spotter" with the judge to help keep him safe. You can also group the planes - say 4-5 in the pattern at a time to help keep it sane.

For some contests, you record where both mains are down and stay down. I've also seen where the taildraggers have to have the tailwheel down. Just explain how you will be judging to the entrants so that everyone is on the same page.

Wish I could make it - don't suppose you all could be persuaded to push it back a week? ;-) My wife would kill me if I chose this over our overdue honeymoon. ;)

Greg, GREAT to hear you will make it. We look forward to seeing you. Chuck, I wish I could move the date but the field has a big event set for then next week and they wont be able to accomodate us then . Hey why don't you make KLOM one of the stops on your delayed Honeymoon, If you do I'll make sure we have a bottle of champaigne there for you ( To take home of course):cheerio:

Anthony c'mon I hear frontier is having some killer deals to philly this spring!!

Well, I would, but on the date in question, we'll be debarking from the Yankee Clipper in Grenada and we don't fly back until Sunday. Diverting to your location on that date will be a bit of a challenge...

Greebo said:
Well, I would, but on the date in question, we'll be debarking from the Yankee Clipper in Grenada and we don't fly back until Sunday. Diverting to your location on that date will be a bit of a challenge...

Ahhhh Paradise! Enjoy :yinyang:

AdamZ said:
Chuck I thought of a spot landing contest but I'm not sure how you do it or measure it without getting killed. If anyone knows let me know. Friends here have suggested the following:

First to arrive
First Tail dragger to arrive
Frist helo to arrive ( heck lets just send Bob a prize now)
Aircraft with the oldest or youngest pax ( not pilot but pax)
highest combined age per plane ( add pic and pax ages not plane age)
Highest N # (either straight or when you ad them up
A 5-10 question quiz

I hope there's a spot landing contest too -- I bet I can win that too, Adam (PTS calls for +/- 4 feet, and I can go backwards if I have to!). :dance:

I would love to show up but the only open day would be the 14th. My wife is taking me to the Phillies game for my B-Day on the 15th. Also I would not fly in, it would take me 35 min to get to the plane and only 20 min to drive to wings I know flying is better. If it turns out to be on the 14th I will show up.

Thanks,
Bob

Greebo said:
Hmm...like I posted in the other fly-in proposal date - that date doesn't work for me - and Philly is a lot closer than NC...

:(

Chuck, I think the NC one may be cancelled due to lack of interest. I was just trying to make an option for folks like me where Philly is out of my budget.

Not too far to fly, just too expensive right now - but it sounds like a blast.

Flyboy said:
Chuck, I think the NC one may be cancelled due to lack of interest. I was just trying to make an option for folks like me where Philly is out of my budget.

Not too far to fly, just too expensive right now - but it sounds like a blast.

I didn't respond but it wasn't because I was not interested. I don't know if I will be around at that date.

Ok it looks like we have 10-12 people so far. Hope it keeps growing!

Ron Kinney: Perhaps you could get some flying friends or other boarders from down your way or along the route to share a ride and the costs. Its a great way to make the trip affordable and fun. It looks to be about 3 hrs direct.

I encourage those who want to share a ride that couln't make it othewise to submit a post, who knows ya may make a new friend!

Ben if your out there hope you can come up from MD. Hope Ed Guthrie can make it in from Smoketown.

Also based on the replies the Fly-B-Que will be Saturday May 14. I'll post the time and more specifics by next weeks.

Last edited:
I was off the board yesterday, so did not get in on the first day's action. I will be away from the board for all of next week, as I will be in Colorado and Santa Fe, mountain flying and celebrating my 40th BD in an L-39 (I'll let you all know how many times I threw up when I get back ;) ).

It looks like my family and I are in! I have 143ME scheduled. Let us all know what, if anything, you need us to bring.

Jim G

Great Jim: I look forward to meeting you!! Have a great trip to the southwest we want photos! I will email everyone through the board with specifics. I would appreciate everyone who is coming to email me through the board and confirm the following:

1) If you are Flying or Driving so I can let them know how much ramp space we may need.
2) How many will be coming with you ( so we can plan for food and other stuff as well as calculate the cost.)

In a week or two I will email and Post times and other specifics.

Last edited:
Back