Fly In Camping in the Southeast

Justin Brady

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SONIC
Anybody have any cool recommendations within ~500nm of TN?

Flying a Debonair so nothing super short but grass is fine.

I've never done any Plane Camping, would love to give it a go without flying out twest where it seems all the cool backcountry camping is.

Would prefer just an isolated strip on a river or something over the fly in "resorts".

Which part of TN? It's 400 miles from corner to corner. Which makes that range 1400 miles east to west.

Fair point sir!
Dead center.

That's still a huge area. Stillwater, OK to OSH to Traverse City, MI to State College, PA to Norfolk, VA down the whole coast to Daytona Beach, the entire Gulf Coast to the TX/LA border!!!

That's still a huge area. Stillwater, OK to OSH to Traverse City, MI to State College, PA to Norfolk, VA down the whole coast to Daytona Beach, the entire Gulf Coast to the TX/LA border!!!

Should be easy to make some good recommendations then yeah? :D

If you want isolated and can stretch a little bit further, 6Y3 gets you off the grid.
It's on the list but probably not going to make it this year, looking for something a little closer to home preferably

I've only ever known of two places that allow camping in the SE....well except for during sun n fun, then there's three...but then I don't get out much
I love the idea of doing it though!

CREIGHT - Creighton Island Airstrip (RHI: 10)
This airstrip is ONLY open for RAF scheduled fly-in's (see the RAF calendar) or with permission by the owner. Anyone desiring to fly-in during non-scheduled events MUST obtain permission from the owner and MUST contact the owner 24-hours prior to arrival to obtain a runway report. No landings are authorized outside of scheduled events unless you have spoken with the owner. This is a safety requirement! All pilots must review the airport briefing before operating on this field.

and the other was an airport way down in Florida....Wauchula I believe it was (CHN)

Robert Newlon Field (I41) on the Ohio River in WV. They allow camping and have a great restaurant/bar on the field. Also have bathrooms with showers. Sky diving on the field so some entertainment. It is 2300ft grass strip.

Guntersville/Joe Starns (8A1) used to allow camping on field, and the airport is in a beautiful spot on lake Guntersville along the Tennessee river. Give them a call and see if they still allow camping.

Guntersville/Joe Starns (8A1) used to allow camping on field, and the airport is in a beautiful spot on lake Guntersville along the Tennessee river. Give them a call and see if they still allow camping.
Thanks Bill,
8A1 is a normal quick cross country for me ~70 miles. Love that airport. Have never actually stopped, always touch and go or taxi back. I'll give them a call

Thanks Bill,
8A1 is a normal quick cross country for me ~70 miles. Love that airport. Have never actually stopped, always touch and go or taxi back. I'll give them a call

It’s a beautiful place, but I loved it more when the old runway had one come in right over the lake and land just beyond the edge. The new run away, while allowing service for larger airplanes, isn’t as much fun.

Where was the old runway? Seems pretty much as "right over the lake" as you can get at the moment haha.

I love shooting the RNAV25 approach under the hood and pulling it off a minimums to find myself right over the water on short final.

The end of the taxi way you see here at the edge of the grass is actually the threshold of the old runway

C10896A3-7DE0-4547-895D-441CB8832484.jpeg

That's what I thought, agree that would be cooler!

Dave, I can’t remember, I'd have to call them.

Arcadia Florida set up for camping with good facilities. 2 runways one grass one paved. crew car available. Great airport manager.

Thomasville, GA has a fly-in in a couple of weeks (Oct 14-16 to be exact). Great event. Camping/showers/food on Friday/Sat/Sun. Thomasville is in the SW corner of the state near Tallahassee, FL.

GA87. WONDERFUL venue. Having a flyin 3rd week of Oct, I’m unable unfortunately.

Happened upon this place kinda by accident. While rolling out I see wedding planners in action… wups!

NO PROBLEM. Just SUPER NICE folks and a hidden treasure.

HSP, Ingalls Field Hot Springs VA, allows camping on the mountain top airport (highest public use airport east of the the Miss). Some hiking trails too.

HSP, Ingalls Field Hot Springs VA, allows camping on the mountain top airport (highest public use airport east of the the Miss). Some hiking trails too.

This one looks interesting. Anybody have any details about this one? Looks like a good spot to head for a short weekend kind of getaway. Looks like their website (as listed on Airnav) is DOA.

This one looks interesting. Anybody have any details about this one? Looks like a good spot to head for a short weekend kind of getaway. Looks like their website (as listed on Airnav) is DOA.
I was reading comments on ForeFlight. You may want to give them a call to confirm the details. They do have a Facebook page with some photos etc., but most of the content is a few years out of date. Here's some recent comments from FF:

Attachments

• 3A5B08D9-860D-45D7-A55B-4E476ADE24B3.png
    3A5B08D9-860D-45D7-A55B-4E476ADE24B3.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 21
Back