Fly-in camping advice in PA or NY

aranpura

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ash
We're flying in a rough and meandering way from Dayton, Ohio (KMGY) to New Haven, CT (KHVN), veering either to the north via the Catskill Mountains or to the south via DC / Baltimore. Can anyone provide some advice on a few good recommendations for fly-in camping in Pennsylvania or upstate New York? Actually, it doesn't have to be strictly "fly-in" -- camping in a beautiful place near the airport is great too.

Also, is there a list or website somewhere that compiles information on fly-in camping? I've had a look through the PoA archives and on Google, and haven't really hit on what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help!

-Ash.

Cool website, thanks!

A fellow over on the Purple Board sent me a very helpful message; I'll paste in his advice below, so that it's available in the archive.

-Ash.

------------

Piseco NY (K09). I think it's owned by the county, almost certain they allow camping on the airport. A little away from your target area, in the Adirondacks rather than Catskills.

Aeroflex-Andover NJ (12N). Beauriful airport between two lakes, adjoins a state forest. LINK

Warwick NY (N72). Not sure about this one. They have an active EAA chapter. The airport buts up to a pretty lake and it just looks like a good place to camp.

Freehold NY (1I5). Owned by the Nutmeg Soaring Assn. I'm pretty sure they allow camping, although there's nothing there but the airport itself. Some of the members spend the weekend there in trailers.

Montauk NY (MTP). I believe the owner allows camping, and I think there are showers there too. I know a guy who used to pitch a tent on an unused grass runway there, but he had a special relationship. I think you can also camp in the beach, just over the dunes from the runway.

Skyhaven (Tunkhannock PA) (76N). Campground next to the airport. This airport has a fairly short runway and needs a steep approach.

Wolf Run State park has an airport (Noble County) and is not far from the OP. The campgrounds are very pretty, although there isn't much else at the airport. Then again, if you have your camping gear, what else do you need?

Wolf Run State park has an airport (Noble County) and is not far from the OP. The campgrounds are very pretty, although there isn't much else at the airport. Then again, if you have your camping gear, what else do you need?

Isn't 1/2 the fun getting there??? if it's too close you loose 1/2 the fun. :cornut:

We had definitely planned a stop at Noble County airport, that looked like a good destination. Due to thunderstorms and life constraints, we had to scrap our big New England trip! We did a 3 day camping trip up in Michigan instead. I'll post a PIREP about that separately.

Thanks for everyone's help, we're going to try New England again this fall.

-Ash.

Back