Fly-in Cabela's, Bass Pros, nice Hotel in the eastern US?

The nice thing about Cabelas is you can look at guns and hunting/fishing equipment also and not feel like a Neanderthal. Mention guns/hunting in REI and be prepared for a bunch of guys/gals in dreadlocks to pee their pants.

Sort of what I meant. At an REI its all about enjoying the great outdoors. At Cabelas its all about killing things in the great outdoors. If that's your bent enjoy, just how it hit your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

Sort of what I meant. At an REI its all about enjoying the great outdoors. At Cabelas its all about killing things in the great outdoors. If that's your bent enjoy, just how it hit your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

:rofl:

Actually, Cabelas is Wal Mart in camo -- lots of cheap, China-made goods, not much high quality outdoor gear.

Sorry, didn't see this thread til now. If plan B takes you through Texas, stop at Alliance Fort Worth (KAFW) on the west side of the DFW metroplex. Great airport, great service, Cabelas is literally across the highway at the south end of the airport, and there's a lot of us POA'ers in the area--could meet you for lunch. I live less than 15 minutes away.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot030.jpg
    ScreenShot030.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 112
Another potential stop along the way up the east coast is W95 - Ocracoke Island Aiport. Get a shuttle ride for lunch or just stretch your legs on the beach. Check it out on Airnav.

I haven't been there but would certainly like to do so some day.

Oliver,

The basics you will need include the "ugly green book" our Airport Facilities Directory, and a number of sectionals for the area you want to cover.

I would recommend you consider joining the AOPA (www.aopa.org) and benefit from their flight planning tools and trip information. Membership allows you print out knee-board plates of airports and all the relevant telephone numbers.

In April, most of us pilots in the North-East head south to Lakeland Florida for Sun-N-Fun (www.Sun-N-Fun.org) event.

If you're going to Maine- and I highly recommend it- a perfectly gorgeous destination, or rather, bunch of destinations-, and you want to spend precious vacation time in outdoor stores, you might want to fly into Auburn or Portland ME, rent a car and drive to Freeport to the LLBean flagship store, which is open 24/7. Both airports are less than 20 miles away.

Thanks again for all your kind replies! :smile:

Joining the AOPA sounds like a good idea - especially as I was already thinking about doing this, without knowing that they provide a flight planning tool.

Sun'n'fun is already on my wish list, however I am a little bit worried about the radio communication - there must be the hell going on in the air and on the ground!?

The hint with the LL flagship store is also highly welcome, as well as the mention of the REI markets.
All I knew for outdoor gear was Cabela's and BassPro, that's why I asked for them. I'm interested in (Bow-)hunting, but never did that, so that I am mainly interested in non-camo outdoor gear.

I'll keep you informed about what we'll actually do, as everything very much depends on the weather and our progress in getting the US pilot's license. As already said, we are German sport pilots, who operate a weight shift plane, which means that we'll have to go through the whole private pilot training.

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited:
Hi Randy,

thanks for your reply!

[...] Beautiful scenery, great walking and hiking, and right in the middle of the park is the Jordan Pond House. [...]

That's exactly why we want to go there. :D However, we haven't heard about the Jordan Pond House yet. We're going to check it out. Thanks for the hint. :smile:

Cheers,

Oliver

Don't overlook Charleston, South Carolina on your way north. It's a perfectly gorgeous historic town, wonderful for walking, many shops, museums, waterfront views, great restaurants, beautiful gardens, especially in April-- it's worth a week all by itself. Any of the three airports will be fine- CHS, JZI, or LRO are all convenient and have rental cars available.

Hello Amelia,

I just had a look at some pictures of Charleston - it looks absolutely marvellous! :smile:
This might even be a nice destination for a solo flight, as it is just 200 nm away from St. Augustine.

Btw.: the European car manufacturer Citroen built at the end of the production period of its model "2CV" a special edition called "Charleston":

2cv-1-sc.jpg

This car was in production from 1948 until 1990, together with a small truck version, more than 5.000.000 of these cars were built!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroën_2CV

Cheers,

Oliver

Back