Fly-in advice

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I'm considering doing the SAF fly-in next week; I've never been to one of these before---any advice from the experienced?

I've looked at the special approach and departure procedure notes and whatnot. I'm thinking it would be wise to get some tent-stake style tie-down stakes in case I'm parked on the grass somewhere and still want to tie down. Other advice?

Thanks!

Go with the flow,if you understand the procedures ,you won’t have any difficulty.

Sounds like it's at a Delta so at least there's ATC running traffic vs uncontrolled airplane fly in chaos!

When I think of parking on the grass in New Mexico...if it can even be soft underneath...some people bring boards to put the gear on so it doesn't sink in.

I always make sure I have good tie downs, chalks, nose plugs and jumper cables in case it needs a jump or would have to be left overnight.

I've only done 3 fly-ins so far and at each one a golf cart would meet you and you taxi following them. Once was thru a crowd which was freaky.

Once again, for these uncontrolled fly ins, often the older gang arrives really early and if your a sleep in kinda guy you might be arriving as they are leaving (busy!)

A lot of times CAP is out helping marshal planes which is very handy.

People will touch your plane.

It's easy to get into it and forget about wx. That nice morning flight there might turn into a bumpy gusty xw landing coming home (thus the smart older guys!)

Back