Flroida Keys...where to stay, what to do?

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
OK...so the wife will graduate with her MBA this upcoming spring. I was going to take her to Europe or South America or the Bahamas for a graduation present. However I instead bought her a BMW and now we are cutting back on the vacation plans.

So instead we are kicking around the idea of going to the Florida Keys in mid-to-late May.

I was reviewing Airnav and looking at prices and such and OH BOY! :yikes:

The goods news is we also love road trips...so I was thinking of flying from the Atlanta area to Homestead GA Airport (X51), renting a car, and driving down the Keys, which would actually be awesome as we have not done that before. I also love sailboats so this would give us a great opportunity to stop along the way.

So...once we get down there, where do we stay? Marathon? Key West? We also *may* go ahead and get scuba certified while we are there.

Once we get ready to leave we will go back to Homestead and then do a nice flightseeing flight over the Keys before heading home, so we get the best of both worlds, from the air and the ground.

So what can people tell me about the Keys.

Thanks!

Much different experience in the Upper Keys vs Key West. Best to see both.

I preferred to fly into Marathon, especially if you want to fly over the Keys anyway. Best prices and choices for rental cars there.

You can do a Scuba course in four days, and there are many good operators. Makes more sense to learn there where you can actually see something instead of a pool in Atlanta.

A good side trip is to visit the Dry Tortugas National Park 60 miles west of Key West. Get there by ferry or seaplane. If you take the first or last seaplane flight of the day, you'll have the entire park to yourself before or after the ferry leaves. Great snorkeling there and an old Civil War era fort.

Fishing is excellent anywhere.

Jon

You want quiet sleep at night, or wild hot night-time action?

If it was me, I'd fly into Marathon (great airport), rent car there.

Marathon is for relaxing; Key West is for night life and shopping

If you go to KW, make sure to have a meal at Louie's Back Yard, right next to the Southernmost Marker

Concur with Jon about the Dry Tortugas trip -- don't miss this one, but it's a long boat ride which can be pretty rough at times, although the seaplane is pretty expensive.

Thanks everyone! I think we are wanting a bit of "both" worlds, both party and quiet, so it seems a few days here, and few days there, is the plan.

As far as flying...I will look more into it, but damn the ramp prices seem high and the amenities minimal at both Key West and Marathon!

Back