Flow Visualization

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Neat video i stumbled across on youtube, video camera mounted on the wingtip with yarn on the wing. you can see the stall start at the root and then come out to the tip. neat-o.

Last edited:
Neat video i stumbled across on youtube, video camera mounted on the wingtip with yarn on the wing. you can see the stall start at the root and then come out to the tip. neat-o.

Cool, there's a video of Matt Michael showing his appreciation for my glider flying skills too!

:rofl:

BTW, the Sporty's private pilot videos have an even better shot of this sort of thing (yarn on the wing during the stall). Very cool.

funny you posted that kent. matt flew an Blanik open canopy while he was in new zealand. with a camera guy in the front seat. apparently the front is very calm, but the back is crazy windy without the canopy.

LOL, if Chris Longus comes out to Utah to fly the L-13 before I move, retire permantley, or winter hits I guess I will get to experience the wind in the back seat while we ridge soar with his head sticking a foot above the front wind screen!

You know what's funny is that after the jumper is out sitting on the wing, he checks his gear. If he found something wrong that would be a pretty scary trip back into the cockpit :)

The yarn reminds me of past discussions of lift differences on the top v. bottom of airfoils. A little more involved than the yarn, it seems like somebody could put some flat piezoelectric sensors on both surfaces and get a good measure of actual pressures.

The yarn reminds me of past discussions of lift differences on the top v. bottom of airfoils. A little more involved than the yarn, it seems like somebody could put some flat piezoelectric sensors on both surfaces and get a good measure of actual pressures.

AFaIK piezo pressure sensors have no DC output, they only measure variations in pressure over a short period of time.

i had a professor in school who was experimenting with what he called a "flush air" data system. basically static ports laid out on the top and bottom of the wing, so essentially the flight condition of the wing was continuously monitored in flight. Very easy to tell where you were operating along the Coefficient of Lift curve.

i had a professor in school who was experimenting with what he called a "flush air" data system. basically static ports laid out on the top and bottom of the wing, so essentially the flight condition of the wing was continuously monitored in flight. Very easy to tell where you were operating along the Coefficient of Lift curve.

How is that different than the Lift Reserve Indicator?

http://www.liftreserve.com/

How is that different than the Lift Reserve Indicator?

http://www.liftreserve.com/

from the website i could only see one crummy picture of the installation, so im not really sure. Prof's system used several pressure sensors on the top and bottom of the wing along the span. This seems to be just one integrated airspeed and AoA sensor mounted under the wing.

Back