Florida to West coast... and back

I just read of your 2007 trip. Real nice and you hit some good airports.

Me too, awesome write-up and gave me some ideas for future trips. Shelter Cove is definitely on my fly-to list now, as are the Carlsbad Caverns.

What books, guides did you use?

My main guides on these trips have been the little brown "Flight Guide" binders, that were split into East, Central, and West volumes. I think they have now changed format to these:

http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/flight-guide-manual-south-west.aspx

I also bought this, which was decent:

http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/pilotsguidetosouthwest.aspx

There was one more book, which I can't find online, that was the best. I'm away right now but will dig it out when I get home and get the title. Overall, I have found the South West to be the best part of the USA for flying, closely followed by the North West; but the whole country is still great! Certainly much less stressful than Africa... :D

Using sectional charts/sky-vector to look for interesting looking places has also worked well!

Me too, awesome write-up and gave me some ideas for future trips. Shelter Cove is definitely on my fly-to list now, as are the Carlsbad Caverns.

Thanks, glad to hear you liked it! Shelter Cove is one of my all time favourite flying destinations.

There's also a 2009 and 2011 USA trip write-up on my site (look in the menus up top), and I'll be putting up the 2012 and 2014 trip info soon (maps are already there to show where we went). Loads more destinations to write about!

Skip Austin ... every airport has fees. If you land at Austin Exec, you'll get toll road fees as well. Even Lakeside is charging now. I'd go to the recommended Hangar Hotel at T82 if over-nighting. If just stopping, hit Llano Tx and Coopers BBQ.

Taylor Texas (T74), is just north of Austin and has some of the cheapest 100LL in the country. I'm pretty sure they have an old police car that they can lend you during business hours if you're hankering for some BBQ, and there is a serviceable Tex-Mexican restaurant right by the airport.

The nearby Austin Executive (KEDC) is a really nice FBO, they have self service gas which isn't too horrible. Call them to be sure, but I don't think they charge much or anything to stay overnight if you buy their gas. You can ride downtown using Uber, or rent a car at KEDC.

I will say in Austin's defense that if like night life then our Sixth Street area would be a great place to spend the evening if you remain overnight.

Back