Florida to Phoenix

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I am planning a 2 week VFR round trip flight from Florida to Phoenix this October in a 1977 Cessna 172 (O360). I don't have any worries till I reach the foothills of the mountains. Are there any suggested routes to take that keep me below mandatory oxygen requirements (although I plan to have onboard oxygen by then). I can read a chart but I was wondering about subtle things or suggestions locals may have.

Follow I-10 through El Paso and you're not going to have to cross any mountains, at least nothing that would require you to have O2.

Follow I-10 through El Paso and you're not going to have to cross any mountains, at least nothing that would require you to have O2.

Agreed.............. And fly in the mornings and be tied down by noon..:yes:

El Paso is the way to go. No real "mountains".

You can fly any time if the day, just keep an eye out for CB activity and watch the density altitude.

Also, bring lots of water...

The only terrain west of ELP on the way to PHX is one single NE-SW ridge line near SSO VOR. It goes to about 8500 IIRC and you can easily go around it - over all - except for that one spot you can easily do the route at 6500 . . .

I miss the flatlands sometimes....

Nowadays if I'm going pretty much anywhere out of PHX (and am IFR), I need to climb to 9-10k _minimum_.

I miss the flatlands sometimes....

Nowadays if I'm going pretty much anywhere out of PHX (and am IFR), I need to climb to 9-10k _minimum_.

The first time we flew to North Carolina, we thought the altimeter was broken. We were flying at 6500 and thought we were going to hit a ridge. But the hills (I used to call them mountains till I was "educated") provided some absolutely fabulous scenery.

Thanks all for the suggestions. The recommendation to carry lots of water is surely a good one. We get dehydrated flying above 5,000 around FL. I learned a long time ago that dehydration causes all sorts of concentration problems.

We may need to plan on 4 or 5 days instead of 3 each way for weather, but that will give us more time to enjoy the local scenery on the way.

Mid-October is usually perfect wx, especially if you wanna do Sedona (30 min), Flag (40), or even Page area (2 hrs) (GCanyon, Lk Powell, Monument Valley). You'll do 6.5 to 9.5, but it's nothing. 10.5 over the canyon, but that's only 2-3k AGL.

Last edited:
That will be a great trip.

Don't sweat the route. :no: The whole trip can be done easily under 12.5.

Water is good because out here, you'll get de-hydrated at ANY altitude.

Plus, it's critical for any "forced landing" survival situation.

Dan

I came across northern Louisiana, north Texas, north of Dallas, to Clovis NM and west to Moriarty. No issues with high terrain, no O2 on board. Easily done at 10.5MSL

The other thought I have is that if you do this in summer you should also not fly a route that exposes you to non-populated places. . . you do not want to have an engine problem in the middle of nowhere and have to set down in the desert - 100 miles from anywhere - getting help into there is not the easiest proposition - and you will need a survival kit for up to a week - thats a lot of very heavy water.

If you look at the sectional there is not much in the way of civilization between I-40 and I-10 . .. towns, roads sure - but also lots of mountainous terrain with little in the way of improvements or communications. . .

Hence my recommendation that once into NM you fly IFR - I Follow Roads - I-10 or I-40 . ..

Non-populated places are a fact of life out in the west. Have a 406 ELT, inReach, etc. and enough water.

I flew from upstate NY to an hour west of Pheonix and I went the Texas route. That state is very long when in a 145 horse tin can.

I keep 10 gallons of water in the plane when flying out west.

I'm glad I asked. I was thinking more in terms of a half dozen 1/2 liter bottles to be refilled at fuel stops. I guess I will rethink that.

When I was delivering Cherokees from Vero Beach to Seattle I frequently chose the southern route, which took me through El Paso, Phoenix, and Needles before I turned north. Never needed oxygen. I was limited to VFR, however, by the insurance company.

Bob Gardner

I'm glad I asked. I was thinking more in terms of a half dozen 1/2 liter bottles to be refilled at fuel stops. I guess I will rethink that.

I assume it will take 7 days for me to be found. 7 gallons for drinking 3 gallons for cooking instant meals.

No reason to scare people about going cross country. With today's technology there is no reason to worry about being found or dying of thirst.

10 gallons of water? Really? 90 pounds of water in a 172?
A week to be found? Seriously?

Carry a tracking PLB like SPOT and enjoy the trip. It would pin point your route to anyone looking, and weighs less than a pound. Certainly be prepared, but some of the advice here is a little over the top. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No reason to scare people about going cross country. With today's technology there is no reason to worry about being found or dying of thirst.

10 gallons of water? Really? 90 pounds of water in a 172?
A week to be found? Seriously?

Carry a tracking PLB like SPOT and enjoy the trip. It would pin point your route to anyone looking, and weighs less than a pound. Certainly be prepared, but some of the advice here is a little over the top. :rolleyes:

I've got 500lbs of stuff I can take with me and full fuel in my Comanche. I don't rely on anyone to be in a hurry to find me.

Gotta agree on the SPOT... 'will be following some flyers Saturday as they go Phoenix-to-Johnson Creek ID.

Spot is great but it could be destroyed in a crash

You need to set it off on the way down. ;)

If the spot is destroyed in the crash you won't need it. :rofl:

But, and most important, SPOT also tracks your flight with precise way points while enroute. There is a record of your flight for all you care to share it with to see.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102&referrer=Homepage_BannerBottomConnect

Here is the info video on tracking before you crash. ;)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/spotne...video-track-progress-&catid=6:video&Itemid=50

Last edited:
The Delorme in reach gives you two way text messaging with the rescue center or anyone else...

SPOT, with the tracking feature, is kind of expensive. You can get a good PLB like the McMurdo or ACR for $200 and change. There are also cellphones so a simple text message to a buddy that you are departing KDAG for KBVU with full fuel is just about as good as a bunch of breadcrumbs on a Google Map.

I think the tracking stuff is kind of gimmicky and way over rated. Same goes for constantly sending messages that you are okay but it's your money so spend it as you please. For most of the flying out west, unless you've got long range tanks, you're going to be following the highways anyhow.

I've got 500lbs of stuff I can take with me and full fuel in my Comanche. I don't rely on anyone to be in a hurry to find me.

All the way to Alaska and back, with mandatory survival gear, food stuffs, and personal clothing did not total 200#. We carried two cases of water, dehydrated food pack for two people for a week, and required camping, survival equipment.

T-41B aircraft.

I keep an 8 gal water tank (one of those blue things) in the baggage area of the cherokee. Perfect not only for water but also CG/W&B.

Powdered water is a heck of a lot lighter.

SPOT, with the tracking feature, is kind of expensive. You can get a good PLB like the McMurdo or ACR for $200 and change. There are also cellphones so a simple text message to a buddy that you are departing KDAG for KBVU with full fuel is just about as good as a bunch of breadcrumbs on a Google Map.

I think the tracking stuff is kind of gimmicky and way over rated. Same goes for constantly sending messages that you are okay but it's your money so spend it as you please. For most of the flying out west, unless you've got long range tanks, you're going to be following the highways anyhow.

I carry a SPOT going XC in gliders and airplanes. The Mrs. can see where I am, especially on flights with no radar coverage, no FlightAware.

I send an "Ok" message on landing so she knows I am on the ground. For soaring, we don't always land out in cell phone coverage, the SPOT can send a programmed message with coordinates through the Satillite to whom ever you designate to "come with trailer".

Someone mentioned spot destruction in a crash. Someone mentioned PLB, both have the same issues, possible damage and need to manually activate. The PLB will use the SAR satellites, the SPOT relies on your paid service for emergency 911 notification.

There was an article on SPOT activation. Family knew a pilot would be departing remote strip and due back. Not returning they checked his SPOT tracking page, last few automated reports where in the same location near the departing airport.

They notified SAR responders. Aircraft found off departure end of runway. SPOT had gone through the windshield, out of reach of pilot to find and activate 911.

Point, people need to know to look for you, and need to know how to find data on where you might be.

The OP is flying a 172. ;)
But it is an older 172 (ie, it doesn't weigh as much) and it has a 180hp STC. And I can only carry 40gal fuel. I have about 825# useful load and about 475 after we climb in. I guess I need to make sure 40 gallons is sufficient. With 8 gallons reserve, 32 gallons will get me over 400 miles. It looks good on paper.

SPOT, with the tracking feature, is kind of expensive. You can get a good PLB like the McMurdo or ACR for $200 and change.

$85 on Amazon, plus $150 a year for service (with tracking). Not bad for something you can use everyday, plane/car/boat/biking/ATV/hiking, and loan to a friend. No need to "set it off", as it's sending the breadcrumb trail every 10 minutes.

BTW, the SPOT is now officially used by the FAA in Alaska... you let them know where you are going and they monitor the breadcrumb trail.... if it stops somewhere other than your destination, they send out S&R.

I spent the morning following some flyers going from Phoenix to Johnson Creek in Idaho. I was able to know exactly when they were landing, and even got a picture from the Johnson Creek Webcam!

Last edited:
I started a similar thread on the Red Board. One of the thoughts there was that if you do go on the wrong day you can get some pretty serious downdrafts if you aren't a couple of thousand feet above the mountains. For safety someone suggested that the I 10 route would be the best although other places work. Just be careful not to get too close to the mountaintops when there is downdraft potential.

Back