Florida: Reviews / Recommendations

KeyWestPhotog

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingMan
For those that have the luxury of being able to fly throughout Florida for fun, where are some spots that each of you feel should be on each of our "Bucket Lists"?

Key West: (KEYW) If you are flying into here, you will be dealing with Island Flying City Services. Adriana, and Mike are outstanding to work with, just remember these folks get tourists on a daily basis that come in with attitudes so if you fly in here, and you do not have an attitude you can expect to get customer service beyond belief from these two. (Just my personal experience of dealing with them on a weekly basis, and seeing what they go through, just while I'm at the FBO).

Restaurants: Best Happy Hour (The Boathouse) Their drink prices are OK, but their Happy Hour menu on the food can't be missed! Make sure you get the Cheese Bread, you'll thank me! Seafood (The Flaming Buoy Filet Co) Cuban (El Siboney) I don't recommend eating Cuban food anywhere else but here, while in Key West.

Transportation: Most folks call ahead on UNICOM and ask for a Taxi. I DO NOT recommend renting a car/van if you are here just for the day and you are staying in town. To really have fun on a day trip here, RENT a scooter, and enjoy bouncing all over the island, instead of paying rediculous Taxi fairs. (another option is to just call me, and see if I happen to be free that day!)

Last edited:
Key west is one.
So is Cedar Key. And the pilot store at FXE.
In Georgia I like Jekyll Island and St Simons Island.
I also like Apachicola.
And I almost forgot Everglades City
There are just too many to list. I love living in Floriduh!

Key west is one.
So is Cedar Key. And the pilot store at FXE.
In Georgia I like Jekyll Island and St Simons Island.
I also like Apachicola.
And I almost forgot Everglades City
There are just too many to list. I love living in Floriduh!

Ditto on KFXE. Jet Runway Café and the pilot shop.
Everglades City, X01. Any restaurant will shuttle you for free (just a tip).
Marathon, KMTH. Free shuttle on the weekend. Keys Fisheries is great.

More later.

Pensacola, for great beach and the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola.

KVNC. Venice great restaurant on the water a mile walk or free shuttle. Sharkeys

+1 for JetCafe at FXE....a little pricey but the food is really good.

The airport Tiki restaurant in FPR is open again as well...

Pic from yesterday's FL flying...

k203nm.jpg

Last edited:
If you can get here before 2 PM I Enjoy the restaurant at Sebring, KSEF.

Fort Lauderdale - KFXE - Banyan is just outstanding. If only other FBO's would use them as the "standard".

Here is a shot from the sim that is inside the pilot shop.
Banyan Simulator.jpg

If there was such a thing as a "Must do Checklist" for Pilots... Banyan is easily on that list hands down.

Top Notch customer service, $44 rental car fee (entire day), no service/handling/parking fees. Saltwater Aquarium to fill your time if you are waiting for any reason. iPad/iPhone charging station if you forgot your cables! Great TV lounge to relax in, and I didn't even look at what else they had to offer.

**MUST DO (If you have kids)**
Museum of Discovery & Science - This thing is amazing, not only the 3D iMax, but start off upstairs in the "Space & Aviation" area. They have over 10 simulators with full working throttles, switches, and etc... All of them are the type where you get inside a replica of the aircraft and/or cockpit. I feel left out that this stuff wasn't around when I was a kid. Their Push/Pull rod exhibit will really show you about aircraft and the materials they are made out of.

Last edited:
KVNC. Venice great restaurant on the water a mile walk or free shuttle. Sharkeys

Expect a looong wait on the weekend evenings. Up to 2 hrs.
Good places I've enjoyed

X60 Williston
Pyper Kub Cafe and Restaurant352-528-0376

7FL6 Spruce Creek
Downwind Cafe 386-756-8811

KXFL Flagler
Highjackers 386-586-6078

KAMG - Alma, GA - not quite FL, but I can highly recommend the place as a fuel stop on the way in/out
Cheap fuel, and very nice restaurant at the golf club nearby. Blueberry Plantation

Pensacola, for great beach and the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola.

Hooah.

Destin has potentially the most scenic beaches around.

Took a Citabria out yesterday and was 500' and 200 yards off the beach. Could see parasailers, sea turtles, and sharks. Absolutely beautiful.

The Island Fish Company is a great resturant in Marathon. On the water, great sunset, great food.

Have to try that. Been to Keys Fisheries a number of times and once to Sparky's Landing. Both recommended.

X10

VERY fun place, just land and walk around, great seafood places there too HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Any recommendations? Do you walk to the restaurant or ?? There are no services at Belle Glade, right?

Last edited:
Key West: (KEYW) If you are flying into here, you will be dealing with Island Flying City Services. Adriana, and Mike are outstanding to work with, just remember these folks get tourists on a daily basis that come in with attitudes so if you fly in here, and you do not have an attitude you can expect to get customer service beyond belief from these two. (Just my personal experience of dealing with them on a weekly basis, and seeing what they go through, just while I'm at the FBO).

Restaurants: Best Happy Hour (The Boathouse) Their drink prices are OK, but their Happy Hour menu on the food can't be missed! Make sure you get the Cheese Bread, you'll thank me! Seafood (The Flaming Buoy Filet Co) Cuban (El Siboney) I don't recommend eating Cuban food anywhere else but here, while in Key West.

Transportation: Most folks call ahead on UNICOM and ask for a Taxi. I DO NOT recommend renting a car/van if you are here just for the day and you are staying in town. To really have fun on a day trip here, RENT a scooter, and enjoy bouncing all over the island, instead of paying rediculous Taxi fairs. (another option is to just call me, and see if I happen to be free that day!)
You clearly know the place well!

The attitude advice applies all over Key West. It can be hard to go into chill mode after a 4 hour hot bumpy flight but it's worth the effort.

Siboney - done that and you're right so we'll have to try your other recommendations on the next trip.

I wouldn't call for a cab but rather just ask at the desk (what's the hurry, you're there). Then see if you can share with someone. Saves $$$ and it's usually fun. Stay chill.

Our favorite break from drinking and bumming around is a romantic sunset dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Key. Reserve a table outside at sunset. A great tourist thing to do.

Any recommendations? Do you walk to the restaurant or ?? There are no services at Belle Glade, right?

I'm wondering if he was thinking of X01 Everglades Airpark. It's a big stone crab stop. I hear that those restaurants will pick up up for a nice tip.

I agree with Highjackers at XFL. I work at the airport and we frequent Highjackers because of their good food and decent prices. If you do go there, stop over and take a look at our Astar 350 B3. It is Flagler County Fire Rescue's helicopter. We love to show it off.

I second this. This is a 25 minute flight for us so we do it pretty often. Walk to the beach or have Sharkeys come pick you up from the airport.

Not to mention the cafe in the FBO and the restaurant just don the road. Venice is also great if you're looking to fly in for a beach day. Great place to stroll the beach looking for shark teeth. The og beach is close by too.

Hi guys,
Still a newbie PPL but enjoying some x/c trips around Florida, done Ceder key, Sebring, Venice, we fly out of KLAL and one of the trips on my list is to overfly the Shuttle Landing Facility. I appreciate we have to enter the restricted area around there but other than that is it just a case of calling the NASA tower and asking permission to do an overfly?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question, I just want to get it right before heading over that way.

You contact Orlando approach for entry.

Hi guys,
Still a newbie PPL but enjoying some x/c trips around Florida, done Ceder key, Sebring, Venice, we fly out of KLAL and one of the trips on my list is to overfly the Shuttle Landing Facility. I appreciate we have to enter the restricted area around there but other than that is it just a case of calling the NASA tower and asking permission to do an overfly?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question, I just want to get it right before heading over that way.

Hi guys,

You can also contact the Shuttle Facility tower directly. It's supposed to be manned from 8-5 monday-Friday. Out side of those times it can be treated like a non-towered airport (i.e. self announce on the CTAF). But you must make sure the restricted area is not hot, which is what calling Orlando approach does. My experience is that Orlando is usually too busy to take your request.

It is a very cool flight. That is one big, honkin' runway.

John

You can also contact the Shuttle Facility tower directly. It's supposed to be manned from 8-5 monday-Friday. ....It is a very cool flight. That is one big, honkin' runway.

John

OT warning.......

With the shuttle program terminated I wonder why the sequester didn't close a tower that is not needed...:dunno::dunno::mad2:.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...:)

C'mon N80 use your brain, it's in case the aliens need clearance to visit. Sheesh man, I thought you were smarter than that!
Well as I'm British and therefore classed officially as an "Alien" in the good Ol' US of A I suppose that clearance can refer to me.....:D

Back