Florida Question....

jhempel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jhempel
I am planning a flight down the east coast of Florida in the near future. What is the best route to avoid trouble in the corridor between Orlando and Cape Canaveral? It looks like a busy place. I'm trying to avoid making the 5 O'Clock news!

I am going from KFFC to KBCT. The route down the coast is almost exactly the same as going west of Orlando and flying down the center of the state. I would like to fly the coast because it looks like much more fun.

Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

I've just filed on the airways down the coast and done fine. If IFR, the even odd altitudes are different there: they keep you at one going north and south and the other east/west and I always mix em up.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I've just filed on the airways down the coast and done fine. If IFR, the even odd altitudes are different there: they keep you and one going north and south and the other east/west and I always mix em up.

Best,

Dave

Thanks for the tip, Dave. That sounds simple enough.

I am planning a flight down the east coast of Florida in the near future. What is the best route to avoid trouble in the corridor between Orlando and Cape Canaveral? It looks like a busy place. I'm trying to avoid making the 5 O'Clock news!

I am going from KFFC to KBCT. The route down the coast is almost exactly the same as going west of Orlando and flying down the center of the state. I would like to fly the coast because it looks like much more fun.

Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

J:
You're direct route will take you slightly west of Orlando and that's probably less congested and a pretty simple route. Perhaps over Gainesville (GNV). That will keep you west of the Cecil and Palatka restricted areas and the crowded JAX area, and then swing slighly back east to avoid the Avon Park restricted stuff.

You "can" run right down the coast over JAX, St. Augustine, DAB, etc. Just a lot more calling to do, but they work you pretty well. The area between the cape and Orlando really isn't bad at all, and can slide easily under the class B and talk to no one.

Also... there's lot of neat stops down there, lunch, gas: Greystone (bring your wallet), Ocala, Lakeland, Bartow (gas and lunch), River Ranch.....

Have fun.

Thanks, for the tips. It does look like the route down the center provides cheaper fuel at a couple of stops and a few more choices for lunch on the way.

It looks like it would be worthwhile to stop at SEF for cheaper fuel on the way down and avoid the higher prices at BCT. I should be able to fill up at SEF and have enough to go to BCT and back, if we don't run out too much while we are there.

We have flown the beach from JAX to DAB on a previous trip. I'm sure we will fly the beach around Boca after arrival.

Now on to the rental car search.......

Back