Florida pan handle airspace

tecprotb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim RV10
What's is up with the airports and airspace in the pan handle of FL.? what a mess. How many airports can you jam into a tight space?
Flying in and around Destin (KDTS) is tough enough, Now I need to fly from Destin to Jacksonville what a pain trying to find the best airport around Jacksonville that has good GA services?

Destin really isn't all that bad. It gets kinda busy but it essentially just a big class C airspace. I know some people think its a chore but Eglin and Tyndall are typically very accommodating when they can be. But if the restricted space is hot, then you are SOL.

I don't think anyone does anything if you fly into Mexico a little coming into Brown. Anyone ever hear of that? I mean, if you just clip it and don't land in Mexico, and come back into the US. They just figure that's how things go sometimes. They give you that leeway.

I think you are thinking of Spain but The Adams–Onís Treaty of 1819 gave Florida to the U.S

You may be looking at a much older sectional. :)

I was parked almost right beside you this weekend, I left this morning around 8:00 AM :D I normally file IFR, but even VFR, the controllers are very accommodating, just listen and follow directions, you'll be fine! :D
Several good GA airports in the Jacksonville area, I guess it will depend on what part of town you are staying in. ;)

What's is up with the airports and airspace in the pan handle of FL.? what a mess. How many airports can you jam into a tight space?
Flying in and around Destin (KDTS) is tough enough, Now I need to fly from Destin to Jacksonville what a pain trying to find the best airport around Jacksonville that has good GA services?

St. Augustine, Flagler, and JAX all have been good to me in the past. So hopefully at least that end of your trip will be less stressful! Honestly, I used to make it a point to fly towards JAX because I liked talking to their controllers... They are super friendly. The one guy there will regularly converse with pilots!

Day of week & time of day factor in heavily too. If you go early on a Sunday morning it may be very clear sailing.

I lived in Jax Beach for many years and did all of my primary and instrument training at CRG. Jax is a huge area, not unlike the metroplex , depends on your final destination.
If you are going to PV - SGJ is awesome. Downtown I would do CRG, west side Herlong is great for GA and Amelia Island has it's own solid airport for that area to the north.

Day of week & time of day factor in heavily too. If you go early on a Sunday morning it may be very clear sailing.

I went through the Tyndall MOAs at night once and they were very quiet then also.

I agree with those who say that travelling that airspace is not a problem at all, the controllers are very accommodating.

Kheg good bunch of guys there as well

I agree that getting into and out of Destin is no issue, but reading the sectional and on online course can look like it will be intimidating.
Both Jacksonville and Destin both have a lot of airports Public and Military.
I'm wondering if most local pilots have taken the online course?

The "course" mentioned in the previous post is pretty fast and easy to do.

Have flown the corridor many times,nothing to it. The various controllers are great.

I guess I take it for granted since I trained in this airspace and also make my living flying in it every day but... what exactly is a pain ?

It's real simple - you need permission to enter and fly the N/S corridor. You need to make advisory calls to travel the E/W corridor.

It is funny however listening to the CTAF all day - ya'll ATITPPA guys would have a heart attack !!! don't get me started on position reports,,,,

I fly out of KECP but I'm only a student and don't know my head from my butt but the airspace doesn't seem to bad to me so far.

Back