Florida Keys Flight

Jim02U

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim02U
My wife and I recently returned from a 16 day 5345 mile trip from Tucson to Des Moines, IA and Lima, OH, visiting family, then flew down to West Palm Beach, FL where my oldest daughter lives. While visiting there I flew down the Keys to Marathon and back up the west coast past Marko Island and Naples to Ft Myers, where I fueled up at FMY before flying east back to Lantana LNA where I parked during our stay.
Here is a link to photos from that flight, which was definitely the highlight of the trip for me!
https://picasaweb.google.com/115000...onKeysAndFtMyers?authkey=Gv1sRgCKS928-_xIqIVA
I currently own a RV6A, which performed great on the trip. My wife hadn't flown any trips with me in several years and this was her first in this plane. She really enjoyed getting to see so much of the U.S. in so little time. We passed over portions of 20 states, 3 of which we passed over a 2nd time. We had plenty of time (13 days) to visit family in all 3 places. A flying trip I won't soon forget!

Awesome!!! Many more to you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a flight down to MTH and back a few years ago. It's a spectacular flight. Nice pictures!

John

Neat to see one of the tiny Keys on which I stayed 2 years ago (Pic 12). Great flight, congrats on making some more memories. I'm curious how long it took you from departure until you landed at Marathon?

Thanks guys. It was surreal flying down the Keys! Greg, I looked at timestanps of photos and found it took 51 min's from LNA to touchdown at MTH. I was throttled back running 2250-2300 rpms, since I wasn't in a hurry. I flew at 1000' under Miami airspace and down the Keys. I had my wingtip cam set to shoot photos every 5 seconds, so I had a lot to choose from when I got home... :) I didn't shoot as many intervals on the trip back up the Keys, since lighting was better going SW early, but I shot more intervals up the west coast, plus I got a few good shots from inside the cockpit... any horizontal shots.

Sorry, I figured the flight duration wrong... it took just under 1:30 flying low and slow. The total trip was a little under 500 miles. I lifted off around 8:35am and landed at MTH at just at 7am. I didn't want it to end.... :)
Thanks guys. It was surreal flying down the Keys! Greg, I looked at timestanps of photos and found it took 51 min's from LNA to touchdown at MTH. I was throttled back running 2250-2300 rpms, since I wasn't in a hurry. I flew at 1000' under Miami airspace and down the Keys. I had my wingtip cam set to shoot photos every 5 seconds, so I had a lot to choose from when I got home... :) I didn't shoot as many intervals on the trip back up the Keys, since lighting was better going SW early, but I shot more intervals up the west coast, plus I got a few good shots from inside the cockpit... any horizontal shots.

Nice pictures! I got my license at FMY and miss those after work flights up the coast.

Back