Florida flying

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
It appears this trip from NY to FL in the 182 for next month is now a good possibility, the weather-gods permitting! :yesnod:

So having reviewed the postings on both this site and AOPA Forums regarding flying in FL (and most of the info seems to be from several years ago) I have a few questions.

I will be parking the plane at, and operating out of, OCF in Ocala for the week or so I'll be there, since that's where my friends live. I intend to do a fair amount of flying around the state while I'm there. As I am a VFR-only guy, take that into account.

My friend has indicated a strong desire to fly to the Keys. I've studied the info, and I'm ok with the plan. I know about the tethered balloon, flying south of the highway, Navy approach, etc.

!. In getting from OCF to EYW, would it be better to fly to the east coast, then south, or go over the Everglades via LBV, DEEDS, DVALL, MNATE, then southwest to EYW? I do not relish the idea of becoming alligator lunch, though I suppose that would be mitigated by flying at 8.5 or 10.5 through the 'glades. Or another option seems to be to go west of the Miami class B along the interstate. If taking the east coast route, how likely am I to get a class B transition from Miami? Or, I could just go over the top. What's the best option here?

2. We have talked about a trip to the Ft. Myers or Marco Island areas before heading to the Keys. When flying east-west across the 'glades, is I-75 or the Tamiami Trail suitable for emergency landing in the event of an in-flight emergency? I've driven on the Tamiami Trail out to Everglades City, but that was a few years ago and I can't recall if it would be suitable as a landing site.

3. I'd like to take a day to visit the Kennedy Space Center, since I've always wanted to, and it's never worked out yet. I was one of those kids who got up in the middle of the night to watch the Apollo missions on TV! Since I'm guessing I can't land on the shuttle runway (dunno why not, seeing as they're not using it much these days) it appears TIX (Space Coast Regional) would be the best choice. What are the options to get from there to the visitor's center? The innernets don't really answer this one.

4. Is Cedar Key worth a half-day?

5. Anything else which folks consider a "must-see" while I'm in the area?

6. In mid August, are there still near-daily afternoon thunderstorms in FL?

Finally, to those who noted my previous post about this trip and offered to meet up for lunch or drinks while I'm there, thanks, and I'll likely be in touch closer to departure time.

What are the options to get from (TIX) to the visitor's center?
Just rent a car. They have a secondary FBO, Jet Center, which say they'd rent for something like $40. Main FBO with a fancy name may be a bit more, but same thing really. Unfortunately, I had to cancel, so I expect a PIREP since you started this thread.

From what I remember in Central Florida yes you may have to deal with the afternoon storms If i remember correctly they can go through september.

Cedar Key is well worth 1/2 day or even more if you like kayaking and wild-life.

I'd choose your route to Key West based on weather that day. I flew down to Marathon from Orlando and flew down the center of the state (more or less, staying out of the MOAs around Sebring) because there was heavy haze on the east coast that morning. I flew back up the east coast and had no problem with transiting the Miami Class B at 5500. I chose to follow U.S. 1 rather than cross Florida Bay. YMMV.

By the way, the shuttle landing strip is towered during the week and you can go over and fly a low approach down the runway under their control. It's pretty cool and I'd do it on your way to TIX.

John

Cedar Key is awesome. Great shopping and seafood. No gas or other services there except for ground transportation. Runway's short but no real obstructions.

TIX has a really good aviation museum. Of course Kennedy has the space museum. Lakeland has two good aviation museums. One at the airport and fantasy of flight out in town. Obviously you have the usual attractions in central FL (Seaworld/Disney) that you can go to.

Never flew myself to Key West. Had a big flight planned in 2008 but TS Fay cancelled that. I rode a King Air down there once. Beautiful area. Enjoy your trip.

FMY/ Page has cheap fuel. Usually about the cheapest in FL. SS is "only" $4.71. If you wanted to stay a night get a rental car and check out Sanibel and Captiva island.

X01 wouldn't really add any time to your trip to the keys from FMY. Great local seafood restaurants. You can buy fuel or pay $5 to use bikes to ride into town only about a mile ride. Their fuel is usually pretty cheap as well.

I flew to KEYW in march and ended up going direct from naples. That leg only took about 35 minutes and you may need to go that route to avoid thunderstorms if you go later in the day.

2RR River ranch is pretty unique also. I think they have a rodeo on the weekends and a golf course with club rentals if I remember. You can rent a cabin or camp out in the wooded area walking distance from parking.

1. I recommend flying OCF CAVIS GUCEL EWY. Ditching in the water or onto a uninhabited beach (as most are south of Everglades City) will be much preferable to going into the Everglades. Forget wild animals, just the survivability factor of landing. I wouldn't recommend doing this route late in the day or at night though. ATC service along the route is pretty good if you are above 3000 feet.

3. I've done this before and the best bet is to rent a car. Call in advance to have a car there. A taxi out and back will be a good wait and more expensive. Get there in the morning and do a maximum access tour or the Cape Canaveral history tour... they are exceptional. On the Cape tour they take you into the blockhouses and launch pads where they launched the early astronauts. The Space Center Visitor Center is for tourists and kids... not bad, but also not the experience of standing under Launch Complex 34.

4. Cedar Key is what Key West was before it became a destination. It's a town that time forgot. There's a good chance you'll either wish you had spent more time in Key West instead, or wish you hadn't gone to Key West at all.

6. This year has so far not seen much of the daily activity, but August can be the peak of it. If you fly in the morning it's relatively easy to work with. Afternoon flights are hot, bumpy, and flying under clouds is often the only reasonable option. One trick that often works is to fly just off the coast and then descend and duck under to go inland.

I've not yet made it to Cedar Key, so I'd go with what everyone else has said.

My route towards the Keys would be down towards Ft. Myers/Naples then over.

If you want to go to Kennedy, I could ideally plan on working over at TIX for the day and offer free transpo around the area.

The FBO at OCF is pretty nice, and I know most of the shops out there of needed. If anything, my father is an A&P/IA so we can help out. I'm not sure what their tie-down rate is, but I could get you into X35 for no tie-down fee and the fuel is under $5/gal self serve.

As for the weather, it has been weird to say the least. Some rain, but not every day. Mostly mid to late afternoons, and cleared by 6pm.

It sounds like you have a great week planned out. Hope to meet up here.

I've not yet made it to Cedar Key, so I'd go with what everyone else has said.

My route towards the Keys would be down towards Ft. Myers/Naples then over.

If you want to go to Kennedy, I could ideally plan on working over at TIX for the day and offer free transpo around the area.

The FBO at OCF is pretty nice, and I know most of the shops out there of needed. If anything, my father is an A&P/IA so we can help out. I'm not sure what their tie-down rate is, but I could get you into X35 for no tie-down fee and the fuel is under $5/gal self serve.

As for the weather, it has been weird to say the least. Some rain, but not every day. Mostly mid to late afternoons, and cleared by 6pm.

It sounds like you have a great week planned out. Hope to meet up here.

Awesome! Thanks for the generous offers. I'll PM you closer to the actual trip. As for X35 vs OCF, my friend lives within the Ocala city limits, so looks like X35 is a bit further out. But I didn't actually check the distance, just eyeballed it, so that might work.

CDK- Judy will pick you up and drop you off for $20/ea way. She should ask if you need a ride after your initial call. Tony's is a nice seafood rest. They have world famous clam chowder. The beach is not impressive. Fishing on the pier is fun. Get your license, rental poles and shrimp/squid bait at the hardware store. 2200' strip is slightly rough as well as parking area.

Shuttle Landing Facility overflight is a neat thing to do. KSC was awesome for me and my son. Not so much for the wife and daughter. Go early, stay late to see everything. Buy tickets on line to save $7.

Florida ATC was very nice and I always got FF.

Ocala is a great place and everywhere in FL is a day trip by plane, so are most of the Bahamas for that matter. Lots of nice horse properties. If you need a quick pit lunch stop, the restaurant right down the ramp from Banyan at FXE is open again and wasn't too bad last time I was there, and then of course there is the pilot shop at Banyan.

Ocala is a great place and everywhere in FL is a day trip by plane, so are most of the Bahamas for that matter. Lots of nice horse properties. If you need a quick pit lunch stop, the restaurant right down the ramp from Banyan at FXE is open again and wasn't too bad last time I was there, and then of course there is the pilot shop at Banyan.

Jet Runway Cafe is a great place to eat. Every time I'm down at our office there, I stop in for lunch. Decently priced for what you get.

Awesome! Thanks for the generous offers. I'll PM you closer to the actual trip. As for X35 vs OCF, my friend lives within the Ocala city limits, so looks like X35 is a bit further out. But I didn't actually check the distance, just eyeballed it, so that might work.

Direct OCF -> X35 is 10nm. By car, it's 15 - 20 minute drive, but that will also depend what side of Ocala your friend lives on. I checked the fuel price at X35 yesterday and they are $4.95/gal for 100LL. A little over $0.80 cheaper for SS @ OCF. Not sure of parking fees at OCF.

Short hop over to XFL will prove to be very tasty for you. Highjackers is a great place to eat and lunch/dinner will be on me.

Short hop over to XFL will prove to be very tasty for you. Highjackers is a great place to eat and lunch/dinner will be on me.

I just ate lunch there last week. It was great food. A tad warm outside on the flightline patio, but a darn good burger.

I work on the helicopter just behind the restaurant. A bit northwest. Next time, walk back and ask for Roy. It will be nice to meet some board members.

I work on the helicopter just behind the restaurant. A bit northwest. Next time, walk back and ask for Roy. It will be nice to meet some board members.

I will do that. I'll be out there again next month.

Back