Florida flight training and living.....?

ArnoldPalmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ArnoldPalmer
So, we got back from a 5 day vacation in sunny FL. Even though we did not get to see it all - we did spend a lot of time in Tampa and Orlando. We loved it! Loved it so much, that we are seriously thinking of making the move from MN to FL.

If we did move, I would pursue a career in aviation. Either CFI-ing on a full time basis or building time to make it to the airlines. Currently at almost 190 hours and should have my instrument rating soon. The missus is a nurse, and should have no problem finding work. I currently work in higher education....

Considering this: where in FL would be a good place to move to and get the rest of the ratings knocked out? Cost of living is a major factor. And anyone have insight on what full time CFIs make in the area?

Living in Florida is much different than vacationing there, so keep that in mind. Some of my family lives in a suburb north of Tampa that's home to a few small fields (KZPH and X39).

One of my old CFI's teaches at LIFTair in Venice, (KVNC).

So, we got back from a 5 day vacation in sunny FL. Even though we did not get to see it all - we did spend a lot of time in Tampa and Orlando. We loved it! Loved it so much, that we are seriously thinking of making the move from MN to FL.

If we did move, I would pursue a career in aviation. Either CFI-ing on a full time basis or building time to make it to the airlines. Currently at almost 190 hours and should have my instrument rating soon. The missus is a nurse, and should have no problem finding work. I currently work in higher education....

Considering this: where in FL would be a good place to move to and get the rest of the ratings knocked out? Cost of living is a major factor. And anyone have insight on what full time CFIs make in the area?
Be prepared for lots of hot, sweaty, summers in the plane! And also late afternoon thunderstorms. I'm not sure where you currently reside, so it could be a considerable change. I'm not to familiar on specifics on where it's good and cheap to live(Being that I'm in South Georgia), but them not having a state income tax is nice. As far as pay goes, I definitely wouldn't expect any more than average. As I'm sure you know, there isn't exactly such a thing as "full time" instructing. Since there's always weather and maintenance delays, along with random cancellations. So I would definitely not count on being a CFI 1 for any definite income.

There are a lot of people making living teaching flying. In fact, I hear there are instructor shortages.

Florida is nice for about six months. The summers get very hot.

I am also thinking about living and instructing part-time in Fla. when I retire from commercial flying, but those hot Fla. summers might steer me to Southern California.

I like smaller coastal towns like Melbourne or Daytona.

Last edited:
Don't forget the sink holes. And retarded drivers. But, there is no income tax which would be nice. Consider that a 6% pay increase.

Some hospitals in FL hire RNs on a seasonal basis - work while the elderly snow birds are in the area. Don't know if they provide those nurses full benefits.
Might be an option for your wife.
Maybe you could work same schedule as CFI in FL and do summers in MN.

Do be aware that FL in February is not FL in August. My time in FL in summer is to sweat and swat bugs.

I like Cedar Key......but ain't no CFI'ing goin' on here.

Last edited:
He's from MN. So yeah, it gets hot in FL in the summer, but you also don't have 8 months of gloom and cold to deal with.

Having lived up in the NE (similar winters to MN) and now back down south, give me the freaking heat.

Except when bike week or the 500 are going on. It's a mad house.
Those are the best times of the year in Daytona. Unless you are an old fuddy duddy. Bike week is coming up soon. The Daytona 500 is running today, and we are battening down the hatches before the influx of bikini season (aka Spring Break) in a few weeks. I had lunch at a restaurant across from Daytona International Speedway yesterday. If you time it right the crowds are thin, and parking is free if you are patronizing a business in the area.

The East Coast is hot, but not as hot as the West Coast, and definitely not as hot as Orlando. The Atlantic breezes help alleviate some of the heat.
Cost of living and housing in the Daytona area is relative low, but that is changing rapidly. I think this would be a good time to buy down here.
As for the OP, Embry Riddle is a major employer. There is also Daytona State College, UCF, Stetson (nearby), Bethune Cookman, Keiser College and FSU has a Medical Campus nearby.

With two interstates (I95 & I4) and a very nice, small but growing airport, the City has a lot going for it, although sadly, politics, and a bunch of old-timers that don't like change have curtailed that for a long time. But big changes are coming. It is not as "redneck" as North Florida and not as crowded as South Florida.

There is also a lot of flight training going on here, with a lot of flight schools, but most of the people I know don't count on that for their primary income, and you may need to take "English as a second language" to land one of those jobs. If you speak Chinese or Indian you may have an advantage.

A nurse would have NO PROBLEM getting hired here.

Also, Polk State U in Winter Haven started offering aeronautical degrees 3 or 4 years ago. Might be worth checking out. There's a large hospital near the campus that always needs nurses.

I flew into DeLand today for lunch...... OMG. It was meat bomb Armageddon. TFR popped up around 1pm. Coming in around 11 Dayton approach was workin'. Couldn't get a word in and on the way out, they denied flight following to me.

Beautiful day to fly in FL though. Not a cloud in the sky and smoooooth.

He's from MN. So yeah, it gets hot in FL in the summer, but you also don't have 8 months of gloom and cold to deal with.

Having lived up in the NE (similar winters to MN) and now back down south, give me the freaking heat.

I feel the same way. I'll take hot summers over winters up north.

Another thing to consider-- cost of living is much less in central FL (Orlando, etc) and Gulf Coast FL (Naples, Ft Myers) than it is in S FL (Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miami.)

Since returning to S FL after a few years in North Carolina, I was shocked by the hangar rents (I pay $635/mo and had to hunt for that.) Airspace is crowded and requires the utmost diligence and a good nav system. Add to that right now the incessant Trump TFRs for most of Palm Beach County, and it's a crappy GA situation here.

I did my flight training in Florida back in the early 90s. At that time it was something like 23 flight instructors per room for living, all sharing rent and barely scrapping by. That is how much money they did not make.

Also consider just about every low time pilot in the world goes to Florida hoping to find a flying job to build time. That is how employers can get away with low low salaries. I do not know what the instructor situation is now but I can't imagine that it is not much different now.

I am originally from Texas, so I thought the summers were a lot cooler than what I was used to.

I live in Sarasota FL and I can say that it's hard to find a good, reliable CFI on any kind of regular schedule in my area. I went through 8 different CFI's for my instrument rating and about 5 or 6 for my PPL and CPL.

One of the school's here at KSRQ signed up with a university, so forget about regular people actually getting time in. They are too busy instructing university students. Like anywhere once those instructors get about enough time to apply for airlines, half the staff go and a massive shortage is felt.

Then there are other schools in the area that have plenty of instructors but get no people renting. It's a crapshoot.

I looked into it when I was pursuing my CFI and turns out Tailwheels at KLAL pays about $35K per year for flight instructors, which ain't bad for a part time gig during retirement or if you have nothing to do. Don't know what the school's pay in KSRQ but I'd guess its the same or less.

There are a few schools up in the Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater area, not many, but most all of them are staffed out the wazoo. Your best bet would be to get a plane of your own and instruct on your own, freelance. If you can't do that you may have to be patient and wait for a slot or if you get a slot be willing to fight for students.

Since returning to S FL after a few years in North Carolina, I was shocked by the hangar rents (I pay $635/mo and had to hunt for that.) Airspace is crowded and requires the utmost diligence and a good nav system. Add to that right now the incessant Trump TFRs for most of Palm Beach County, and it's a crappy GA situation here.

I'm betting near metro areas of NC the hangar rates are pretty expensive. I know most have a waiting list just like here in Florida.
If I move back, getting on a waiting list will be the first thing I do, probably have to do it a year or 2 before I planned to move.

Nope, you have 8 months of unrelenting heat and humidity. Plus you have a bunch of torqued off people driven crazy by the constant heat, crazy traffic, and general BS.

Florida is great to visit, but after living there for 5 years, I'm not sure I'd move back. But, I also happen to like winter...and seasons.

In addition to finding a CFI opening, you also need to consider population density. I've lived in Tampa, Orlando, Treasure Coast area and the panhandle. Personally, I dread having to drive in Tampa or Orlando now. It's not as bad as SoCal, but some of the areas where it's close. I've sat in traffic for 30 minutes to go 6 miles. No thanks.

Between Titusville and Vero Beach, there are a bunch of flight schools. Pace of life is a bit slower there (If that's what you like) than Tampa or Orlando.

I am a MN dude too, and I love this state... except for January and February. Really you can keep March too, but it's not as bad as the preceding months.

My ultimate plan is to figure out a way to live down there for January and February. The worst parts of MN would be over, I'd come back to 20-30 degree days, slowly warming to the 40s, then just up from there.

It's a great plan for me, but I haven't figured out the logistics yet...

It was 81 degrees here in central Florida today.
Perfect.

I spend eight months in KSRQ ,living is cheaper,flying is good, as summer approaches ,you fly early morning or late afternoon. It rains every day in Florida ,just watch the weather ,land and let the storm go over you. Plenty of CFI OPPORTUNITIES IN FLORIDA.

Winter flying in Florida is a very pleasurable experience, with temperatures in the mid 70's or low 80's with a comfortable humidity.

Summer flying has to be completed in the morning, and even then the startup and taxi are pretty nasty due to the heat unless you have AC fitted.

Over about 2000ft things get comfortable again.

I moved to Florida six years ago and I don't regret it for a second! I moved from Ohio because I was tired of the cold, snow and gloomy weather all the time. Sure you have four months of heat. You learn to work around the heat. We do have sunshine and lots of it. I live in Palm Harbor which is considered the Tampa Bay area. There's plenty to do in this area. There's always something going on. It's a great place to live. This is not a cheap place to live. One bedroom apartments are around $1000 and a two bedroom will be $1200-1300. Like others have mentioned, vacationing here and living here are two different things!

please stay were you are,we are full up and dont need or want any more:eek:

Just don't go over to the "Forgotten Coast" area...nothing to see there...move along, move along...;)

Forgotten Coast - nothing there?
Hardly: snakes, alligators, armadillos, no-see-ums, mosquitoes, Hurricanes, Crackers, .......

By the way, Florida golf courses give a whole new meaning to "water hazard"....

upload_2017-3-2_16-34-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-2_16-34-8.png
    upload_2017-3-2_16-34-8.png
    422 KB · Views: 3
In addition to finding a CFI opening, you also need to consider population density. I've lived in Tampa, Orlando, Treasure Coast area and the panhandle. Personally, I dread having to drive in Tampa or Orlando now. It's not as bad as SoCal, but some of the areas where it's close. I've sat in traffic for 30 minutes to go 6 miles. No thanks.

Between Titusville and Vero Beach, there are a bunch of flight schools. Pace of life is a bit slower there (If that's what you like) than Tampa or Orlando.

Amen to that last bit.

I lived in the Destin area from 1995 up to 2015 when I got divorced. As much as I loved the area you couldn't pay me to go back and not just because my ex is there. The traffic is absolutely terrible. It will take you literally one hour minimum up to two hours just to drive from one side of Destin to the other for a total of 5 miles. Been there done that got all the Tshirts.

After divorce I lived in Port Orange south of Daytona for a year while I added on my airplane ratings. I'd been visiting the Port Orange/Daytona area since I was knee high to a grasshopper since I have lots of family there. Traffic is a little better there but you couldn't pay me to fly out of Daytona, I mean its great for your radio skills but if you want to pay 1/2 hour per flight to taxi, that's cool.

Currently living in Cocoa, did my Instrument Helicopter out of Titusville years back, brother lives in Melbourne, spent last summer flying out of Merritt Island and have been in and out of almost all the airports from Palm Coast down to Vero and over to Lakeland and Fort Myers more times than I can count for work. Its a lot more chill south of Titusville.

Having lived in Florida for 30 years, last 21 continuously, and having learned to fly and flying now , frequently in Florida, it is my opinion it is one of the best states to learn to fly in the nation. I cannot comment of job availability for CFI's but I can assure you Nurses are in critical short supply in this state. There are many aviation schools and airports in the state. There is a reason "The Army Air-Force" chose Florida to train pilots in large scale, (in WWII), in Florida. They also left many airports behind , which have become Municipal airports. I'm based at one (KLAL), which used to be called "Drane Field", during WWII.
If you decide to come down , I would like to welcome you and your wife to our state. You are both highly educated and needed in our state. I fly all year round, Fall, Winter and Spring, it is a flying paradise, In summer I avoid thunderstorms but still fly, especially early mornings. Thunderstorms in summer usually happen in the afternoon. If you decide to move, again welcome. I assure you that would be the sentiment of most Floridians, especially, highly educated folks like you and your wife.

Cheers

30 Years. Hmmpf. All these danged carpet baggers wandering in. :)

I've been here for 57. But all that stuff about flight training here is true. There are schools all over the place and many that cater to foreign students. (There's a nice one based a Crystal River (KCGC), Nice small town. Anytime you're on the radio here you'll hear a variety of accents. (And, frankly, many for whom english proficiency-even in the context of ATC-is still not there.) There's a variety of areas to choose and lifestyles to match. And no state income tax. But traffic and water issues are getting worse in the more cosmopolitan areas. So buyer beware.

John

If you decide to move, again welcome. I assure you that would be the sentiment of most Floridians, especially, highly educated folks like you and your wife.

Well, yes, they will be welcomed, even by us native-born Crackers, assuming they satisfy a few more criteria. They must agree to the following:
  • If they meet other northerners (aka "damn Yankees") who insist on telling us how much better things were back up nawth, they must be willing to explain in no uncertain terms that I-95 and I-75 have northbound lanes and the complainers should use them immediately.
  • They must be eager to cheer for the Bucs, the Jags, and the Dolphins except when they're playing one another; cheering can then be determined by the newcomer's geographic location in the state.
  • They must spend some time visiting and learning about areas that aren't theme parks. Florida has lots of history, and some beautiful and unique places. St. Augustine, the Everglades, the Suwannee river, the springs and cave systems of north Florida, Bok Tower in Lake Wales, Ravine Gardens in Palatka, the Ford and Edison estates in Ft. Myers, and many others are worth visiting.
  • Attending Sun-N-Fun is non-optional.
  • An appreciation of fresh seafood is required.
  • They must make at least one trip to Key West and visit Mallory Dock at sunset. A bowl of conch chowder and a slice of real key lime pie afterward is also essential.
  • At least once, they must watch the sunrise over the Atlantic and the sunset over the Gulf on the same day.

Back