Florida/Bahamas

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
I have some work in Orlando in March and have never been to that part of the country (I'm in Seattle). I would like to take a few extra days end perhaps explore the Bahamas from the air. Is that feasible? Any suggestions on where I could rent from? Does anyone rent a Bonanza down there?

Thanks!!

-Erik

I have some work in Orlando in March and have never been to that part of the country (I'm in Seattle). I would like to take a few extra days end perhaps explore the Bahamas from the air. Is that feasible? Any suggestions on where I could rent from? Does anyone rent a Bonanza down there?

Thanks!!

-Erik
No Bonanzas for rent anywhere in Central Florida that I'm aware of. If there were, it would have changed my aircraft buying behavior dramatically!! Exploring the Bahamas by air is great. If you're in Orlando, go to Air Orlando and they'll get you set. Airplanes aren't cheap there, but they are top notch. www.flyairorlando.com.

Will an FBO like Air Orlando let you take their rental plane out of the country? I didn't think anyone allowed that.

Most rental places are going to want to have you "checked out" for Bahamas Travel. Meaning they will fly over with you to make sure you can find the island. I was amazed when flying into Marsh Harbor, Abacos, Bahamas at the crashed planes that they just left there off the runway.

Another interesting thing happening, is more & more airstrips in the carribean are not carrying 100LL anylonger. Check the AOPA forums section: http://forums.aopa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Also, you can get some very "shady" treatment at certain places ie....(you must have a handler, no change given-so if the amount owed is $20 and all you have is a fifty, tough.

Usually the Bahama's have been on the up & up. Again, a thorough perusal of the AOPA site is in order.

Beef Island, BVI
1/4/2008 - Was advised by FBO they will discontinue 100LL, as St. Kitts already has. Was told
they no longer want 100LL customers. Also be advised that Great Inagua has no 100LL.

Will an FBO like Air Orlando let you take their rental plane out of the country? I didn't think anyone allowed that.
Air Orlando does allow Bahamas trips, with the following requirements:

Flight to Bahamas
* Private Pilot License
* 75 Hours Total Time
* Total Time and Other Requirements Applicable to the Aircraft Rented
* Prior Bahamas Flight Experience or Air Orlando Bahamas Ground Briefing and Sign-Off

We'll allow the plane out of country, but Mexico requires special arrangement because it's not covered by the insurance policy, so a special rider must be obtained.

Erik:

I go every couple years; last year we flew to Treasure Cay, Marsh Harbour and Nassau. Navigation is pretty simple if one has a GPS. Freeport and Nassau both have VORs. It's good to get a little altitude for communications and to receive those nav aids. There is a book one can purchase called Bahama and Caribbean Pilot's Guide. There is a lot of useful info in there http://www.pilotpub.com/

The AOPA site was helpful; read through the info there before going. I would take the 800 number for U.S. Customs: main number and the number where you intend to reenter the states. Things won't go well if you don't contact Customs before leaving and give them an arrival time. Get a badge number or name of the officer with which you speak. I'd try to leave from an airport that has a land line you can call on. Don't try to notify Customs in the air after leaving an uncontrolled airport (or any airport) unless you have a Sat. phone. Customs wants to be contacted by phone before you leave with the info they require.

Have a great trip. If you follow a few procedures, it's a piece of cake. Everything is pretty expensive there. We're Green Turtle Cay fans--Green Turtle Club is where we normally stay.

Best,

Dave

Erik:

The AOPA site was helpful; read through the info there before going. I would take the 800 number for U.S. Customs: main number and the number where you intend to reenter the states. Things won't go well if you don't contact Customs before leaving and give them an arrival time. Get a badge number or name of the officer with which you speak. I'd try to leave from an airport that has a land line you can call on. Don't try to notify Customs in the air after leaving an uncontrolled airport (or any airport) unless you have a Sat. phone. Customs wants to be contacted by phone before you leave with the info they require.

I wonder why customs is so anal this way about planes. I have travelled back and forth by boat to the Bahama's countless times. When we arrive here, we make a phone call, get a clearance #, and have 24 hours to show up at customs/immigration, during working hours.

Now I don't know about your plane, but the useful load on mine isn't that great. But on my BOAT, I could carry TONS of wrong things if that were my inclination.

So why the extra hassel for a plane?

I wonder why customs is so anal this way about planes. I have travelled back and forth by boat to the Bahama's countless times. When we arrive here, we make a phone call, get a clearance #, and have 24 hours to show up at customs/immigration, during working hours.

Now I don't know about your plane, but the useful load on mine isn't that great. But on my BOAT, I could carry TONS of wrong things if that were my inclination.

So why the extra hassel for a plane?

Can't answer that, but can attest to the fact that if one arrives and has not called, even with the proper flight plan notice, Customs field agents won't be happy.

When I flew into Merida, Mx after Francis passed through, I was unable to find a land line to call out on when evacuating my niece. FBO had closed, the other side of the airport (commercial side) was guarded by Mexican Army troops with automatic weapons; there was no way I was going to try to get over there and back from the GA ramp to try to call Customs late at night. So, I called from the air. The notice never got to the guys on the ramp in Houston; they were mad as hornets; threated to fine me $5,000; ranted and raved for over an hour before they let my niece and I pass through. Worst I've ever been treated in a very long time. I had a copy of the flight plan with the notice on it; notes of calling customs and getting permission before leaving the States and of Flight Service stating they notified Customs for me. Didn't help one bit. Just had to bite my tongue in front of a niece we had just gotten out of an international disaster area until they vented. They also threatened to confiscate the plane.

Best,

Dave

Good info.
I have been dreaming of flying the Bahamas. I have a map with air routes, etc. Now if I could just come up with a few extra bucks...:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back