Florida avionics recommendation?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
In another thead, a poster is discussing adding a KLN-89B to a dated panel. I have a similar situation in my Arrow, would like to add a non-WAAS IFR approach GPS.

I have spoken to about four shops in Florida alone and they all are quoting $2800 and up in labor only to install any GPS. Two fellows in that thread paid 1/2 that or less.

Can anyone recommend someone that can do this job for more like $1500 labor? Anywhere in Florida or Southern GA would be OK though I prefer going no further north than Daytona > Orlando > Tampa area.

Thanks

CE Avionics in Sanford, Sarasota Avionics in various cities (Tampa, Sarasota, Venice), Quest Avionics in Ocala. I'm not sure who all else is out there, or what their rates are, these are just a few places I know of.

In another thead, a poster is discussing adding a KLN-89B to a dated panel. I have a similar situation in my Arrow, would like to add a non-WAAS IFR approach GPS.

I have spoken to about four shops in Florida alone and they all are quoting $2800 and up in labor only to install any GPS. Two fellows in that thread paid 1/2 that or less.

Can anyone recommend someone that can do this job for more like $1500 labor? Anywhere in Florida or Southern GA would be OK though I prefer going no further north than Daytona > Orlando > Tampa area.

Thanks

My buddies dad has Peninsula Avionics on TMB. Are you pricing that install without buying it from them? Often when you buy and install, they give you a break, especially with companies like Garmin who set prices that must be sold at, they take the discount they would give you on the gear and take it off the install.

My buddies dad has Peninsula Avionics on TMB. Are you pricing that install without buying it from them? Often when you buy and install, they give you a break, especially with companies like Garmin who set prices that must be sold at, they take the discount they would give you on the gear and take it off the install.

Oh jeez, no thanks.

Oh jeez, no thanks.
No, I meant with your comparing the prices you're getting quoted for install vs what other people are reporting for cost of install as it can be seriously affected by a purchase of equipment. What did Jim hit you at over at Peninsula?

Considering the work and time involved in an IFR install $2800= 30hrs, and that's pretty close especially on an older plane where they're going to run into who knows what. Seems like a close number to me.

Last edited:
No, I meant with your comparing the prices you're getting quoted for install vs what other people are reporting for cost of install as it can be seriously affected by a purchase of equipment. What did Jim hit you at over at Peninsula?

Considering the work and time involved in an IFR install $2800= 30hrs, and that's pretty close especially on an older plane where they're going to run into who knows what. Seems like a close number to me.

Jim thought I was an idiot for not wanting to drop $40k :rofl: He showed me the panel in his Cherokee 6.

Jim thought I was an idiot for not wanting to drop $40k :rofl: He showed me the panel in his Cherokee 6.

So, you went to an avionics shop did ya? :D Last one I flew to to get a CDI looked at was trying to install an Aspen in my plane.

You need to find some dude that hangs out around at the airport without a brick and mortar store that pulls a trailer around. That's what I did.

So, you went to an avionics shop did ya? :D Last one I flew to to get a CDI looked at was trying to install an Aspen in my plane.

You need to find some dude that hangs out around at the airport without a brick and mortar store that pulls a trailer around. That's what I did.

That is what I am hoping to find.

That is what I am hoping to find.

There is an issue of "where do I go to when it's not right?" so make sure if you do that, they come with some really good references from someone you trust. Not everyone in the aviation business is exactly honest. Also, they may not have the equipment to certify the installation, so make sure you know what's involved and they have the necessary gear.

There is an issue of "where do I go to when it's not right?" so make sure if you do that, they come with some really good references from someone you trust. Not everyone in the aviation business is exactly honest. Also, they may not have the equipment to certify the installation, so make sure you know what's involved and they have the necessary gear.

My guy did excellent work, came highly recommended and was well known by everyone in the neighborhood, Speed was not one of his virtues though.

My guy did excellent work, came highly recommended and was well known by everyone in the neighborhood, Speed was not one of his virtues though.

Like the saying goes, good, fast, cheap; pick two. I'll sacrifice fast or cheap.

Back