Florida and Flight following question(s)

Lawnchair

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lawnchair
Ok so here is a few questions.

I am planning a flight from Calgary (CYYC) Western Canada mid Feb destintion KHWO (North Perry FL.) Flying VFR via KISN (Williston ND) to KRDK (Red Oak IA) cheap fuel then to KDCU (Decatur AL) and finally into Florida KHWO. IN Canada we can fly flight following but we could fly a week without seeing another airplane due to the vastness etc.

Question 1) Would it be advisable to get flight following for the whole trip even thru the first portions of the trip or only when approaching Florida? Has anyone have any pireps on my flight plan stops?

Quesion 2) Looks like my flightplan will more of less take me down the center of Florida, any specific routes I should inquiry about to get to the KHWO FLL area. Or will I receive vectors on appropriate routes from ATC?

Questions 3) Is there a certain FLight level I should enter Florida I intend to fly 9.5 to 11.5 thoughout the trip looking for favourable upper winds etc. Ofcourse observing all airpaces etc.

Questions 4) Airport security, If I am away from the airport (going on cruise) what if any security advise do I need to know for my airplane while parked?

Question 5) I have been looking on the web for prefered routing into Florida can't seem to find any, obviously not searching the right sites any recommendations? I am using the Jeppeson Flightstar flight planning and reconfirmong using the FLtplan site as well.

Also looking at anti collision equipment, is this need? Or just a toy which is nice to have ie. added safety blanket. I am sure I'm missing tons if some of you wouldnt mind adding alittle or alot of advice to this canuck on his first venture to the south. :fcross:

Question 1) Would it be advisable to get flight following for the whole trip even thru the first portions of the trip or only when approaching Florida?
You'll definitely need it for the border crossing into the US. Beyond that, get it if you can, but particularly on the route from Calgary to Williston, you may not get that all the way at lower altitudes.

Has anyone have any pireps on my flight plan stops?
Williston is where we stopped for US Customs on our way back from Red Deer in 2009. Excellent place to stop. Customs is relaxed and easy, and the FBO there let us have a car to go into town to find lunch.

Quesion 2) Looks like my flightplan will more of less take me down the center of Florida, any specific routes I should inquiry about to get to the KHWO FLL area. Or will I receive vectors on appropriate routes from ATC?
That route down the middle of Florida is full of MOA's and R-areas, but if you're getting flight following, ATC will let you know which are hot.

Questions 3) Is there a certain FLight level I should enter Florida I intend to fly 9.5 to 11.5 thoughout the trip looking for favourable upper winds etc. Ofcourse observing all airpaces etc.
If you're VFR, just stick with the standard odd+500/easterly and even+500/westerly, and you'll do fine.

Questions 4) Airport security, If I am away from the airport (going on cruise) what if any security advise do I need to know for my airplane while parked?
Contact the FBO at your destination airport ahead of time, tell them what you're doing, and they'll let you know. Some sort of prop lock wouldn't be total overkill, but I've never seen the necessity of more than a key lock on the cabin door (or, in my Grumman case, the canopy). A canopy cover would be an excellent idea, too, both to keep out the sun and to keep out prying eyes.

Question 5) I have been looking on the web for prefered routing into Florida can't seem to find any, obviously not searching the right sites any recommendations?
If you're VFR, it really doesn't matter.

Also looking at anti collision equipment, is this need? Or just a toy which is nice to have ie. added safety blanket.
Just a "nice to have."

Biggest concern, I would think, is making sure you understand and properly use the eAPIS notificatinon system to cross the US border (both in and out), and that when you land at Williston, you taxi to and park in the "box" in front of the Customs building, and wait for them to come out to meet you.

Fly safe,
Ron

4) security; my tactic is a generous insurance policy. You can't prevent every crime even with the most elaborate devices.

Have a great trip, sounds like fun!
Airnav.com has some fuel prices, hotels.

Rob, flight following is acquired by asking for it from the ATC controller for the area you are in - usually they will give it, but if they are busy then they won't... ATC frequencies are found on VFR charts, or better yet from an IFR low level enroute chart - does not have to be a current chart since it is not being used for navigation so beg an old one from the guys at the airport...

In ALL states watch for Restricted and Prohibited and MOA airspaces... Either go around or talk to ATC to get permission for Restricted and MOA (forget about Prohibited, you won't get permission)... Some MOA and Restricted have a floor where you can fly under them without needing ATC...
Using FF cannot hurt, it may not help, especially on a CAVU day... I would never tell a pilot not to use it... I rarely ask for FF except for crossing the Great Lakes, etc...

Flight Service Stations FSS are great to talk to as they can give you weather, any new TFR that pops up from some scumbag politician out grubbing for money, etc. Don't be shy, FSS is there to help you and cheerfully will (your business keeps them on the payroll :) And if you can't seem to raise ATC on the frequency shown on the chart, then FSS is your best friend - they can even get ATC on the landline if they have to...

Flight Levels in USA are compass heading rule... For VFR thousands plus 500:
0 to 179 degrees, use odd number thousands plus 500; 3.5 - 5.5 etc
180 to 359 degrees, use even thousands plus 500; 4.5 - 6.5 etc.

Leaving the airplane: talk to the line boy, say when you will be back, and lock the plane...

For routing, draw a straight line from A to B on a large scale chart... Then look for Victor Airways (blue lines) that parallel your route... Airways are nice because they have VORs marking each end, etc. They tend to go near/to major airports which is comforting if you need repairs, etc. Knowing where you are on a Victor is nice if the GPS suddenly blows up... Don't over plan the route... Weather may deviate you anyway... Just go roughly straight line as best you can...

As far as anticollision receivers - save the money for booze in the cruise... Again, I would never tell a pilot not to use one, but I don't choose to spend the money...

OK, once you have gotten to Florida and know how easy it is to fly in the USA, let me suggest on the way back, when out in open country that you drop down to 1500 AGL and sight see... This is a beautiful continent that we live on, so see it! Yes, it is legal in the USA to fly low when away from populated areas... I frequently bump along at 500 feet on nice days... Further, you are likely to be against the wind going home and lower is better...

BTW, the markings on US charts for FSS frequencies are a bit arcane... Bone up on that before the trip...

feel free to ask questions...

cheers

denny-o (older than dirt)

It will be warmer in Florida than Alberta in mid-February. :thumbsup:

One thing you might note is that CTAF is the general equivalent of MF at airports without an operating tower in the US but is is not mandatory. Therefore there can be traffic which is not saying anything even if they are equipped with a radio. Speaking of traffic, I have found in talking to Canadian pilots (we hang out at CYYC quite a bit) that the traffic volume in the US is something that is unfamiliar and more worrying to them than it is to US pilots. I had someone from up there tell me that he doesn't like flying around Southern California because, "There are so many airplanes and some of them don't have TCAS!"

Have a good trip!

Ok so here is a few questions.

I am planning a flight from Calgary (CYYC) Western Canada mid Feb destintion KHWO (North Perry FL.) Flying VFR via KISN (Williston ND) to KRDK (Red Oak IA) cheap fuel then to KDCU (Decatur AL) and finally into Florida KHWO. IN Canada we can fly flight following but we could fly a week without seeing another airplane due to the vastness etc.

Question 1) Would it be advisable to get flight following for the whole trip even thru the first portions of the trip or only when approaching Florida? Has anyone have any pireps on my flight plan stops?

No Pireps on your stops but with regard to flight following the best thing I can say is it won't hurt and my guess is it will be easy to get as the area you are flying over will for the most part unitl you get south be somewhat remote. if you do get FF chances are in that part of the country you won't hear from them too much during the flight. Soooo in an unfamaliar area I'd say its a good idea but not critical.

Can't help ya there but if you buy an AFD for Florida it will give you some preferred routes. If your going VFR the route won't matter so long as you stay clear of TRFs,restricted and prohibited areas and get the proper clearance for controlled airspace which should be no problem if your on FF.

Nope good plan but if Wx won't allow that you can go pretty low in Florida

Call the FBO in advance and see if they have any requirments such as prop locks. I'd be more concered about someone stealing stuff FROM the plane rather then the plane itself so I would not leave gear in the plane and would cover the panel so folks can't see the fancy equipment you might have. Airport theft is rare since it is usually such a restricted enviornment but it can happen. Take precautions and let the FBO know of your plans and you should be just fine.

Question 5) I have been looking on the web for prefered routing into Florida can't seem to find any, obviously not searching the right sites any recommendations? I am using the Jeppeson Flightstar flight planning and reconfirmong using the FLtplan site as well.

Also looking at anti collision equipment, is this need? Or just a toy which is nice to have ie. added safety blanket. I am sure I'm missing tons if some of you wouldnt mind adding alittle or alot of advice to this canuck on his first venture to the south. :fcross:

I wouldn't buy anything for this trip that you don't already have except perhaps something with Weather but not even that is necessary. A Xaeon is nice for anti collision but by no means necessary.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Enjoy yourself.

I am planning a flight from Calgary (CYYC) Western Canada mid Feb destintion KHWO (North Perry FL.) Flying VFR via KISN (Williston ND) to KRDK (Red Oak IA) cheap fuel then to KDCU (Decatur AL) and finally into Florida KHWO.

Cool!

Well, I certainly wouldn't recommend against it. If you're going to be at 9,500 or 11,500 you probably won't see much traffic at all. I would almost bet you won't get a traffic call from ATC until at least Missouri - But you never know, and there are airplanes anywhere you go. One of my closest calls was out in the middle of nowhere in far northern Wisconsin. Certainly, though, Florida has a LOT of traffic, and the farther south you get in general this time of year there'll be more traffic. Seems some people are wimps and don't want to fly when it's cold out and take advantage of all this nice thick air! :D

I have been to Red Oak - Nothing spectacular, a fairly average small airport IMHO. I was there in the middle of the night, the terminal was accessible after hours.

It looks like the only thing you really have to worry about are the restricted areas south of Orlando (R2901A&B), though you will be clipping a few MOA's as well. If you want to avoid all that, and you have a GPS, you could punch in KDCU - CTY - LEXJA - LBV - KHWO for the last leg, that'll keep you clear of all airspace (MOA's, restricted, class B & C) until you get near the destination.

I would stay high - there is a lot of traffic down low in Florida between all the flight schools doing training there and all the retirees going out for a $100 hamburger. So, 9,500 or 11,500 would be a good place to stay.

Call the FBO. However, with all of the paranoia over terrorism since 9/11, airports in populated areas of the US are generally fairly well-patrolled by local police and security is pretty good.

There isn't really any such thing as "preferred routing" for VFR traffic.

Also looking at anti collision equipment, is this need? Or just a toy which is nice to have ie. added safety blanket.

Safety blanket. All of it depends on both you and the other guy having operational mode C transponders, so none of it guarantees anything - Keep your eyes outside.

I am sure I'm missing tons if some of you wouldnt mind adding alittle or alot of advice to this canuck on his first venture to the south. :fcross:

Don't get too set on your plan. You're going to be covering a huge distance and you're going to be getting into some areas with moister climates that can generate some weather. Luckily, on a long trip like this you can go fairly far out of your way without significantly increasing the total distance of the trip. We have LOTS of great airports to choose from here (especially after you reach KRDK), so don't hesitate to alter your plan as necessary.

Also, make it a 2-day trip. Even in your Baron it'll be about 12 flight hours one-way. Add an hour per stop and you're talking a REALLY long day, with the busiest, most complex airspace at the end - You're just asking for it at that point! Take your time and enjoy it - Do 2 or 3 legs the first day, and the remaining ones the following day. In fact, it'd be a good idea to leave at least 3 days in advance of the cruise so that you don't have the time pressure to get there. There's plenty to do in Florida on that third day if everything goes well. :yes:

Finally, I would not hesitate to use all the resources available to you - I can't tell you what you'll encounter that's different as I haven't flown in Canada, but you may find some good information from AOPA or the Canadian equivalent. Also, make use of ATC - It's free here :D - And the controllers are generally excellent and will often help you stay out of trouble if you let them. (Hint: When a controller says "Say Intentions" that's code for "I think you're about to do something really dumb." ;))

Fly safe, enjoy, and tell us all about the trip when you get back! :yes:

One thing you might note is that CTAF is the general equivalent of MF at airports without an operating tower in the US but is is not mandatory. Therefore there can be traffic which is not saying anything even if they are equipped with a radio. Speaking of traffic, I have found in talking to Canadian pilots (we hang out at CYYC quite a bit) that the traffic volume in the US is something that is unfamiliar and more worrying to them than it is to US pilots. I had someone from up there tell me that he doesn't like flying around Southern California because, "There are so many airplanes and some of them don't have TCAS!"

I'd believe that. After flying in Canada (especially in the uncontrolled areas), the congestion that one will observe in Florida will be rather insane.

Flight following is a good idea for sure for the whole trip.

Winds, well, you'll have to check those to see where you'll get the best ones. It can be surprising at times. If your Baron is anything like my 310, it has a headwind that follows it around everywhere it goes. Very annoying.

Glad you dropped in - don't be a stranger!

Canada is, of course, an inseparable part of what we call, "America."

Absolutely get flight following, it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes for traffic, ESPECIALLY in Florida

I would take CTY LAL LBV direct KHWO, but if you want the beach route, just head to the coast about 50 miles north of Daytona (KDAB) to avoid those restricted areas and then you just follow the shoreline and as long as you are above 4000 feet, you won't even touch any airspace, though you will have to descend when you get close to KHWO because it's under a 3000 foot Bravo shelf
Ask the FBO ahead of time they might have a hangar for you, but honestly just lock your door and you'll be fine. North Perry is a fine little airport and isn't very dangerous at all.
You can come between Orlando Bravo and Tampa Bravo then down by Lake Okechobee or by the coast.

Or if you're really feeling frisky you can ask Orlando Approach to transition west to east and they will have you overfly KMCO which is a fun little flight, they will take you to the coast then you just follow the coast down.
If you mean strobes, sure, anything to get yourself seen, the more the merrier.

Also be on the lookout for Alert areas, that usually means EXTREMELY high areas of traffic by student pilots such as west of North Perry, West of KTMB down SW of KMIA

Airspace around KDAB (and the ormond airport under the Charlie shelf) is filled and I mean FILLED with student pilots because of both Embry Riddle as well as the ormond airport, that place is a freaking Indian pilot mill I swear!

So basically, just have fun, enjoy the flatlands and be on the lookout for planes constantly, unless you're 4500+, then you really don't have THAT much to worry about.

Good luck! If you need any tips on the area around KHWO let me know, this is where I grew up

yep have Nav equipment, actually state of the art panel. All great info I think I have narrowed down the route to take. I do appreciate all the reponses..:thumbsup:

yep have Nav equipment, actually state of the art panel. All great info I think I have narrowed down the route to take. I do appreciate all the reponses..:thumbsup:

Or you could avoid the late evening when the outages are scheduled.

once you get by the coast just follow it down it's simple... besides the GPS outages here should be 4000 feet plus.

]I would take CTY LAL LBV direct KHWO, but if you want the beach route, just head to the coast about 50 miles north of Daytona (KDAB) to avoid those restricted areas and then you just follow the shoreline and as long as you are above 4000 feet, you won't even touch any airspace, though you will have to descend when you get close to KHWO because it's under a 3000 foot Bravo shelf

If you just head down the beach from Daytona, you're going to be in a ton of trouble about 30 miles south of Daytona. For some reason, NASA isn't too keen on people flying right by there billion dollar space shuttles.

If you just head down the beach from Daytona, you're going to be in a ton of trouble about 30 miles south of Daytona. For some reason, NASA isn't too keen on people flying right by there billion dollar space shuttles.

uh.... I said follow the coast! There's a restricted area about a mile or two off the coast so stay inland. The big restricted that covers the peninsula is for launches only...

I've done that route at least 10 times on flight following and not. It's absolutely OK, just look at the sectional closely

uh.... I said follow the coast! There's a restricted area about a mile or two off the coast so stay inland. The big restricted that covers the peninsula is for launches only...

I've done that route at least 10 times on flight following and not. It's absolutely OK, just look at the sectional closely

Well, seeing as you said "if you want to take the beach route" and most people would consider the coast to well, be the beach. But whatever. Just be aware that there are large restricted area's south of Daytona.

Well, seeing as you said "if you want to take the beach route" and most people would consider the coast to well, be the beach. But whatever. Just be aware that there are large restricted area's south of Daytona.
I guess that's true. But I figured he'd look at the route on the sectional and make his own fine tunings... I mean the CTY LAL LBV KHWO route I gave nearly clips a MOA, but I'm sure he'd check up on it and everything afterall he is the PIC

Just stay 2 miles or closer to the beach (I personally prefer staying on the land side) and you should be ok. There are a TON of airports up and down there so be vigil and I'd definitely get flight following because the amount of traffic there is crazy

Canada is, of course, an insufferable part of what we call, "America."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There, fixed it for ya <snicker>

denny-o

For whatever it's worth, I know of cases where US citizens pretended to be Canadians, but never the other way around.

One addiitonal question. So I am finalizing my flight plan, and it has come to my attention that most of the route borders larger airports, which I intentionally did. But having done this I do save money on fuel, would you perfer to land at the smaller centers or have the bells and whistles of a larger FBO?

Personally, I prefer the smaller airports where I don't have to mix in with the Boeings and get to pay less for fuel. It is important to check both Airnav.com and 100LowLead.com to be sure they have your kind of fuel, though.

One addiitonal question. So I am finalizing my flight plan, and it has come to my attention that most of the route borders larger airports, which I intentionally did. But having done this I do save money on fuel, would you perfer to land at the smaller centers or have the bells and whistles of a larger FBO?
Check airnav for landing fees.

I try to land at wherever there are no landing/handling/parking fees.

With that said, If I'm using the FBO services, such as crewcar or tiedown, etc, then I just pick whatever is closest to where I want to go and pay the fee to help them out

Back