Flooring/Interior STC (PA-28R)

Jack C-137

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jack C-137
I'm going to purchase an Airplane within the next 24-36 months and until I fall in love with another airplane (right after this post I suspect) It'll be a Piper Arrow.

I'm planning to buy the right airplane that won't need any significant upgrades for the foreseeable future. However there is always exception: I hate carpets- like all carpets. Every carpet that has ever existed in any structure or conveyance that has ever been or will be made is inhearantly disgusting. The worst of all carpets is the carpet found in the floor of airplanes. I can't abide have something I hate attached to something I love.

Does anyone know who offers an STC or upgrade for aircraft flooring? Like a good durable all weather floor that will resist the tyrannies of mud and oil and dropped Snickers bars. Something that would be comfortable sharing a paragraph with words like "garden hose" and "Clorox Wipes." Does that sort of thing exist for PA28Rs?

I'm going to purchase an Airplane within the next 24-36 months and until I fall in love with another airplane (right after this post I suspect) It'll be a Piper Arrow.

How does one fall in love with a brick, anyway? :)

I’ve seen a number of working airplanes with that black bumpy spay on bedliner looking stuff on the floor.

No idea what they actually used, whether it’s approved and non-toxic when it burns, etc.

You can pretty much install anything you like in an aircraft interior as long as it meets the burn specifications and you’re okay with whatever chemicals it dumps into the air when it’s on fire for you to breathe.

I’ve also seen a number of airplanes with pristine carpet and an owner who will kill you if you brought a Snickers bar anywhere near the thing. And if you dropped something in it and it made a mess, you got to vacuum it up post-flight with the vacuum machine mounted to the hangar wall behind a wing, just for that purpose.

Carpet doesn’t HAVE to be nasty.

And those same owners would simply have replaced the carpet if it got seriously soiled by something. It’s easy to pull up the floor carpet in most airplanes. In our Cessna it’s velcroed in and comes out at every annual inspection to get to the inspection plates in the floor.

Couldn’t tell ya if the Arrow is one of the ones that’s difficult, though. Never seen that carpet removed but I assume it comes out for inspections annually as well.

Back