Flooding on the White River?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I've been hearing about the flooding down in northwest Arkansas, especially along the White River. Anybody know if Gaston's was affected? Did Chip float away?

is this what you read, Diana?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340811,00.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — High water pouring down the White River could cause historic flooding in cities along its path in eastern Arkansas, forecasters warned Sunday.

The river, one of many out of its banks across wide areas of the Midwest, could top levels recorded in a devastating flood 25 years ago, National Weather Service meteorologist John Robinson warned.

Spike I get nothing from your link?

But it says the runway is at 479 MSL. What does all this mean. Looks like the lake at Bull Shoals is only up about 7 feet the way I read it so I guess Gaston's should be fine.

I was jsut about to ask you Dianna, it's your party :yes:

Last edited:
Gaston's wasn't hit as far as I know. Being that close to the dam the water there doesn't get out of its banks very much. I own some land directly across the river from Gason's and it didn't get flooded.

As for me, I'm fine and dandy. The lake I live on (formed by the White River) rose so much so fast that our boat dock is stranded out about 50 yards. We'll get it sometime late this spring.

Gaston's wasn't hit as far as I know. Being that close to the dam the water there doesn't get out of its banks very much. I own some land directly across the river from Gaston's and it didn't get flooded.
OK, that's good to hear.

As for me, I'm fine and dandy. The lake I live on (formed by the White River) rose so much so fast that our boat dock is stranded out about 50 yards. We'll get it sometime late this spring.
I wondered about your dock. I'm glad to hear that nothing got damaged at the lakehouse.

I've been hearing about the flooding down in northwest Arkansas, especially along the White River. Anybody know if Gaston's was affected? Did Chip float away?

As you might tell from hearing the spectators, this IS the White River:

Based upon the USGS Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service (really!), not a problem.

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lzk&gage=bsga4&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Not too much of a surprise, as one rarely finds flooding immediately downstream from a major dam.

Say that to Mountain View, AR where my in-laws live. Mountain View sits downstream of Gastons. It did flood. My wife's 50 acres are under water. We don't have a house on it (Yet). I have some pictures at home that I can post but wont be there until Friday. Poor town, within weeks they have had an ice storm, snow showers, a tornado (Same one that went through Atkins), and now a flood.

I flew over to Calico Rock today to look at the damage. Here are some photos. None of the houses you see here are resting on their foundations. Some have been washed several hundred feet down river. Others have washed 20 or 30 miles down river.

Notice the blue thing up in the tree in IMG00035. That's someones pressure tank from their well house. Yes, the water was that high.

It is unbelievably sad to see the devastation. We spoke to several of the people who are trying to dry out and clean up. They aren't wondering where the federal help is and they don't seem angry. They're just doing what they can to get on with their lives.

Attachments

• IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG00030.jpg
    IMG00030.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG00035.jpg
    IMG00035.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG00032.jpg
    IMG00032.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 40
I flew over to Calico Rock today to look at the damage. Here are some photos.
It is unbelievably sad to see the devastation.
Wow, that IS sad. I hope people were able to get their pets out OK.

Dang Chip, I've seen flooding b4 but it always makes me appreciate what we have and sad for those who have lost.

Remember us saying we got a LOT of snow? It's a hand me down to youse guys. You're welcome.

I got 14 inches just last Friday. It's melting fast - back down to grass in the back yard already. The sump pump is workin' good.

On TV, they say the flooding is just hitting Arkansas.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Years ago while in the Coast Guard I worked flood relief duty on the Missouri River. It was sad to see the destruction, but so much sadder to see the devistation done to the people who lost so much. May God bless and help them all, cause the goverment sure won't get there in time.

My father-in-law builds houses and is a general contractor in Mountain View area (Calico Rock Area). He is swamped. I just told him that area must not be living right. :) He chuckled!

What is it with this weather??????????

Tornado warning just south of us, severe storm headed for Dean right now, and flood warnings are back again for us.

Damn Diana, y'all have had enough the last 6 months to last you 6 years.
Keep your head down and stay safe.

Damn Diana, y'all have had enough the last 6 months to last you 6 years.
Keep your head down and stay safe.
Thanks Kevin. :)

We've been surrounded by tornado and storm warnings all day, but it's about out of here for now. A tornado touched down about 20 miles from here...don't know the extent of the damage yet. Looks like Chip is about to get storms down his way.

Last edited:
Diana,

You ought to be in construction, it's been really fun trying to get anything built over the last 4 months or so.

We'd gladly send 1/2 of this stuff to Atlanta.

From the NWS this morning:

DUE TO THE RECENT FLOODING OF AREA LAKES ALONG THE WHITE RIVER
BASIN...ADDITIONAL RELEASES OF FLOOD WATERS WILL IMPACT
COMMUNITIES ALONG THE WHITE RIVER FROM BEAVER LAKE...TO TABLE
ROCK...TO LAKE TANEYCOMO. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS SITUATION AND
LISTEN TO LOCAL EMERGENCY OFFICIALS ON ANY TYPE OF EVACUATIONS.

There's been a lot more rain in the last 24 hours. I hope everybody is OK down there.

I think we're prepared. Going over our Arkansas flood survival kit now:

Toilet Paper......................................check
Bud Light..........................................check
Keystone Ice.....................................check
Budweiser.......................................check

Red Dog...........................................check
Misc. other bottles of alcohol..............check

Plywood boat for wife and booze ......................check

arkflood.JPG

I know it's a little mean, but people do live like this...

Last edited:
As you might tell from hearing the spectators, this IS the White River:
Reminds me of the commercial of the car in the hurricane.

"Slight water damage".....(backspace)....."new paint!"

Dawn's (wife) land, which is 40 acres on the white river...well it just came down Wednesday. It's on the white river in Mountain View...just down stream from Gastons.

Her father got the tractor and the truck both stuck in the mud trying to check on the condition of the land.

Back