Flooded Cars/Planes

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
I saw this article in AAA and thought I would share. I know its geared toward cars but I thought maybe it could be used with airplanes too.

Prepurchase Inspection Tips

1. A title search of the vehicle identification number (VIN) is a good first step. CarFax, a free telebased service that researches and follows the history of a car can determine if an insurance claim was ever filed and if it was registered in a state hit by last year's hurricanes.

2. Along the vehicle's body look at the seams and around the edges of the windows for a high water mark or specks of dried mud.

3. Water stains, mildew, sad or silt can be seen or smelled under carpets, floor mats, head liner cloth and behind the dashboard.

4. Carpeting and upholstery can be vigrously shampooed, but a hot day will bring back the musty smell.

5. Carpeting and upholstery should last for many years in any given car, it maybe warning sign it has been replaced. Check to see if it fits properly and shows a true color match.

6. Even the best detailer can't get all of the mud from behind the dash without damaging fragile wiring or other sensitive components.

7. You can never really get all the moisture out of an engine, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, which suggests looking under the hood for signs of oxidation. Pull back rubber boots around electrical and mechanical connections to search for rusting ferrous materials, copper parts with a green patina, plus aluminum and alloys displaying pitting or a white powder.

8. Check the oil and other fluids for cloudiness indicating water contamination.

9. Inspect for mud or grit in alternator crevices, behind wiring harnesses and around the small recesses of starter motors, power sterring pumps and relays along with hints of rust or flaking metal along the undercarriage that you wouldn't expect in a later-model vehicle.

10. See if all the switches and gauges are still functioning properly.

11. Try out the heater and the air-conditioner, turn them off and on several times. Look inside the vents for evidence of mud or water. Also activate the lights, wipers, turn signals, cigarette lighter and radio. Mud, silt or grit residue can be discovered in the trunk, spare tire well, and in the head lamp and tail lamp housings.

12. Look for any rust on screws in the console, glove box, interior body part panels, under the seats or any other area moisture wouldn't normally breach unless the car had been immersed in water.

I'm thankful that aircraft are acompanied by maintenance logs that tell the entire story. Or at least we hope.

SkykingC310 said:
I'm thankful that aircraft are acompanied by maintenance logs that tell the entire story. Or at least we hope.

Hope on. In the case of damage you'll see a list of part numbers for parts that were replaced and something like "repaired X, Y & Z" for parts that weren't. If it was a Major Repair there'll even be a 337 describing what was replaced and repaired. But usually there will be no indication of what caused the damage in the first place in the logs. Flight-related damage will be in the NTSB files - but hurricane damage typically won't be. When contemplating a used aircraft these days one wants to check the insurance salvage sites - a google search on the N-number will usually turn up any entries.

Regards,
Joe

From the Socata Pilots Web page, here's a great AP picture of a few of the lucky ones at Bloomsburg, PA (N13)

High and dry by the thinnest of margins.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• water planes Bloomberg pa.jpg
    water planes Bloomberg pa.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 33
OH Flier said:
From the Socata Pilots Web page, here's a great AP picture of a few of the lucky ones at Bloomsburg, PA (N13)

High and dry by the thinnest of margins.

Gary Gembala

Was that taken this past week?

I received the post on our Socata Page in the past couple of day so I expect it is a current or very recent photo.

Gary Gembala

HPNFlyGirl said:
Was that taken this past week?

Roger. On one of the fora someone posted a picture of the same airfield from a few years ago. Different flood, same effect - about half the number of planes though.

Hmmm....here it is, 2004:

017-large.jpg

Regards,
Joe

Last edited:
Joe B said:
Hmmm....here it is, 2004:

That's the one I was thinking of.
At least they have it down pretty well on where to put the planes when it floods.

Back