Floaters in the Eyes

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
So... my brother just got these and he is the third person in our family to get them... My sister had them for about three months until the went away and tells they come back every once in a while and when they do she gets her eyes checked to play it safe... my other brother got shot for it...I think... and that took care of it.. We are all over the age of 60 (which don't let them fool you it is not the new 30)

My question here is should this happen to me is the a game changer for flying?

So... my brother just got these and he is the third person in our family to get them... My sister had them for about three months until the went away and tells they come back every once in a while and when they do she gets her eyes checked to play it safe... my other brother got shot for it...I think... and that took care of it.. We are all over the age of 60 (which don't let them fool you it is not the new 30)

Nope, shouldn’t be. Unless somehow they obscure your vision.

Have you had your A1C number checked recently ?

Floaters are extremely common with advancing age. They're not usually a game changer, but you should be aware of the red flags that can signal an ophthalmologic emergency. Dark curtain over a part of the visual field; bright flashes, including after eye movements; sudden increase in the number of floaters; as has been said, any time they obscure your vision.

Even in the event of an emergency situation, once effectively treated and recovered, you should be able to recover your medical or go Basic Med. I had a complicated posterior vitreous detachment about 4 years ago that involved a horseshoe retinal tear and a vitreous hemorrhage. Bad visual obscuration in that eye for about a month. The tear was sealed by laser retinopexy, the floaters from the hemorrhage are still visible at times though not an issue. But I got my 3rd class back in a few months, SI, after submitting an 8500-7 that included full Humphreys visual fields.

As part of a diabetic (type 2) wellness check, I had an appointment with a local eye doc who I found extremely thorough. Did pressures, photos of retinas, slit lamp, measurement of vision prescription, the works. And like Azure, I obtained a completed 8500-7 form from her to give to the AME and FAA.

During the exam, I asked for her recommendation for folks over 50. She recommended routine eye check visits for everyone over 50. Frequency depends on medical history and other complaints. Like other "more than 50 laps around the sun" exams, this gives her the chance to compare to past exams and determine if any corrective action is recommended.

So for Ventucky, a general "check up" with a good eye doc in your area might be worth your time/trouble/money. If nothing is found, that's still a finding, and you have also established a baseline for future visits.

Floaters are to some extent normal. For the most part they are caused by the Jell-O inside of your eye creating little fissures with age and fluid that used to be held in place can now move around. New floaters or a sudden increase in the number of floaters can indicate an underlying problem such as a posterior vitreous detachment (Jell-O coming loose from the retina, the 'film' layer in the back of your eyeball). That PVD alone is not much of a problem but in the process, the Jell-O can tug on the retina and cause a tear which would be bad news.

So, they are normal until they aren't. If someone asked me for advice about new floaters, I would advise them to see a good general ophthalmologist for a dilated fundus exam.

Seriously.... this really was my brother... and he had an eye exam yesterday and I had one today....

In talking to him last night he told me he was told this nothing to worry about as it happens in folks our age - 50 + they told to keep an eye (no pun intended) on it and if it gets worse to get in right away.. said it should go away in a few weeks as the fluid works it way out of the eye.. if not learn to live with it.. And he is now on the odd year exam schedule.

My exam was stellar... 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other... and I only need +100 readers... Pressure was good and there was nothing going on inside the eyes. no glaucoma, Macacular degeneration, cataracts, etc.... I had mentioned this to the doctor that three of my siblings had this occur and if it as in our DNA.... her response was she didn't know if there was any evidence of this and that I should be getting my eyes check every other year anyway..

I’ve had floaters as long as I can remember - at least back to me late 20s (I’m 45 now).

I do have glaucoma and go for pressure checks, visual fields etc. regularly (every 6 months).

My ophthalmologist told me everyone seems floaters at some point. Now y’all are freaked me out!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back