Flipping the V

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
How much of a project is it to flip the "V" of a Bonanza dual yoke? Right now the "V" is down, and its tight on my legs.

Just so we're clear:

Up:
Baron+reduced+size+010.JPG

Down:

N2255A_Full_Panel_WAAS400_web_DSC_6618.jpg

I thought the V was a substitute for bird. :D

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult as it would be time consuming.

Will the yokes clear the floor if you spin it?

It's not a huge project. You'll need to swap your yokes side to side when you flip it, but the actual removal and re-install of the V isn't very hard.

It's not a huge project. You'll need to swap your yokes side to side when you flip it, but the actual removal and re-install of the V isn't very hard.

The shaft length is different side to side, so you’ll need to leave the yoke, or the triangular shaped mounting plate for the large rams horn yoke on the same side it came from. The sprockets May also need to be inverted to make it work.

It’s not a hard job, but outside the scope of preventive maintenance.

Is there a "right way" this should go? How did they come from the factory?

I'd ask for a 10AMU discount right off the top if someone sold me that thing all inverted like that. ;) Lord knows what other MX oversight they've allowed :D I keed I keed

Wouldn't you also need to then re-do the wiring for all of the buttons/switches on said yokes? PTT, etc will need to be pulled and run to the opposite side.

I don't think I've ever seen a Bo with the V pointing down before, I wonder how that happened in the first place?

I don't think I've ever seen a Bo with the V pointing down before, I wonder how that happened in the first place?

Of the ones I've seen it's pretty common. I went to Controller and looked at the V35Bs and out of 10, 2 had a single yoke. Out of the other 8, 3 were down.

Of the ones I've seen it's pretty common. I went to Controller and looked at the V35Bs and out of 10, 2 had a single yoke. Out of the other 8, 3 were down.

Wow... Weird. Presumably they all came from the factory the same way? Why would someone flip them down in the first place?

Wow... Weird. Presumably they all came from the factory the same way? Why would someone flip them down in the first place?

I imagine it has to do with better panel vision if pointed down. Maybe not as 'in the way' of some things pointed down. The yokes would be higher obviously

Wouldn't you also need to then re-do the wiring for all of the buttons/switches on said yokes? PTT, etc will need to be pulled and run to the opposite side.

Typically they are wired with coil cords (the chain and such inside the V is not conducive to running wiring in it!), so you might need to cut some zip ties or remove some adel clamps depending on how the cord runs, but you shouldn't be needing to re-run wiring or anything). You'd just pull the yokes, pull the V, invert it, do whatever aligning of the chain and cogs you need to do once inverted, re-attach the V and bolt the yokes back on (they'll now be on the opposite side of the V they started on). I agree with one of the posters above that this would not be preventative maintenance.... you really don't want your yoke coming off in your hands at rotation (or probably any time).

The shaft length is different side to side, so you’ll need to leave the yoke, or the triangular shaped mounting plate for the large rams horn yoke on the same side it came from. The sprockets May also need to be inverted to make it work.

It’s not a hard job, but outside the scope of preventive maintenance.

Right, I was assuming (based on the 2nd picture) it was the large ram's horns.

Back