FlightRadar can tell an autopilot has been changed?

No sure how it could tell what final altitude someone set the AP for.

Also

Autopilot on doomed German plane reportedly set to crash

:rofl:

I didn't know the airbus has a "crash" setting on their autopilots.

It would be nice if the people making this news up would flag it with a color, red yellow or green, depending on how much is BS and how little they know about the subject.

Lubitz, 28, joined Germanwings in September 2013, directly after training which included a stint at a facility near Phoenix, Aiz., and had flown 630 hours. Lufthansa chief executive Carsten Spohr described both pilots as "experienced and trained."

Gotta love the euro zero to hero, frankly I like our progression system in the US FAAAAR better, at 630hrs he might be able to get a job flying a 182 for a drop zone, go to Germany and you're flying a airbus :mad2:

Last edited:
Gotta love the euro zero to hero, frankly I like our progression system in the US FAAAAR better, at 630hrs he might be able to get a job flying a 182 for a drop zone, go to Germany and you're flying a airbus :mad2:

I read that he has 630 hrs in the Scarebus - not that he has a total of 630 hours. . . .

Uh, it's almost impossible here to build hours between commercial check ride and the airlines. I will pass 800 by this weekend. Which means I can apply to the airlines as soon as I pass my multi ride. I DO NOT need anymore hurtles to jump over. I can taste the airlines.

Most jobs require 135 mins either for FAR or insurance reasons. Other jobs I have looked at will tie me up for a few years. It would have been nice at 500TT but I was still in school. So either I fly another two months and go to the airlines or a put myself back two years and go fly for a survey company.

Which seems more logical ???!!!! :rolleyes:

I read that he has 630 hrs in the Scarebus - not that he has a total of 630 hours. . . .

He had 630TT when he finished training. He had under 100 on type.

Uh, it's almost impossible here to build hours between commercial check ride and the airlines. I will pass 800 by this weekend. Which means I can apply to the airlines as soon as I pass my multi ride. I DO NOT need anymore hurtles to jump over. I can taste the airlines.

Most jobs require 135 mins either for FAR or insurance reasons. Other jobs I have looked at will tie me up for a few years. It would have been nice at 500TT but I was still in school. So either I fly another two months and go to the airlines or a put myself back two years and go fly for a survey company.

Which seems more logical ???!!!! :rolleyes:

He had 630TT when he finished training. He had under 100 on type.

Harden up.

That's how I came up, it's EASY to get hours in the US, and it's fun.

Are you really hungry for it? are you in it for the right reasons?

Last edited:
Article states that the operator of the Flightradar [Flightradar24 app] site asserts they can tell when an aircraft such as an A320 has changed its autopilot altitude setting? Is that even possible?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/0...ter-report-that-germanwings-pilot-locked-out/

Is that an ADS-B out datafield?

As I noted in the A320 thread, the squitter output (which FR24 tracks, as does ATC) does include both altimeter setting as well as the requested A/P altitude.
For the A320 crash flight, here is the FR24 data, where you can see that someone has changed the A/P requested altitude from 38000ft to 19ft.
So the short answer is "yes".

Harden up.

That's how I came up, it's EASY to get hours in the US, and it's fun.

Are you really hungry for it? are you in it for the right reasons?

I think I am. I've always loved being in airports and around airlines. I loved everyday of my internship at our local major airport.

Give me a few months of regional flying and I'll harden up. :D This is only the second job I've had in my life. I never worked until late college.

Trust me I believe in the whole start at the bottom and work up. I just don't want to be set back after all my friends made it easily.

As I noted in the A320 thread, the squitter output (which FR24 tracks, as does ATC) does include both altimeter setting as well as the requested A/P altitude.
For the A320 crash flight, here is the FR24 data, where you can see that someone has changed the A/P requested altitude from 38000ft to 19ft.
So the short answer is "yes".

Thanks - that was the question I was asking . . .

Looking at the data at the link provided - the pressure was always reported as 1006hpa . . . should it not have been reset to 1013 when they crossed the Class A alt limit in Eurocontrol?

They use 1013 for the hpa/mb right above 6000 meters?

Looking at the data at the link provided - the pressure was always reported as 1006hpa . . . should it not have been reset to 1013 when they crossed the Class A alt limit in Eurocontrol?

They use 1013 for the hpa/mb right above 6000 meters?

Yes, I noticed that too and thought it was odd. Any flight level expert want to chime in?

I'm surprise that they have it report that info in Europe. I wonder if the U.S. ATC will have access once our ADSB is fully implemented.

I think it's a mode S thing, which predates ADSB. But stand to be corrected.

Yes, but it's supposed to say in a calm voice "I'm sorry, Dave. But I'm afraid I can do that." Of course there might be something wrong with the automation as it keeps calling the pilot a retard on landing.

Yes, I noticed that too and thought it was odd. Any flight level expert want to chime in?

Transition altitude in Spain is generally 6,000 feet. Transition Level on the way down varies with QNH but was probably FL75 with the QNH at 1006. Of course someone intent on crashing isn't likely to reset it on the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transition altitude in Spain is generally 6,000 feet. Transition Level on the way down varies with QNH but was probably FL75 with the QNH at 1006. Of course someone intent on crashing isn't likely to reset it on the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question was not the transition altitude, but the QNH. In the US (in the flight levels) it's always 29.92" = 1013hPa. So what is the 1006hPa in this case, at FL380?

Last edited:
I think I am. I've always loved being in airports and around airlines. I loved everyday of my internship at our local major airport.

Give me a few months of regional flying and I'll harden up. :D This is only the second job I've had in my life. I never worked until late college.

Trust me I believe in the whole start at the bottom and work up. I just don't want to be set back after all my friends made it easily.

I hear ya.

Don't worry about your friends though, many times the path less traveled in aviation is the better one.

Not a 121 guy, that said, most regionals would have been a pay and QOL cut from my first aviation jobs, infact from what many pay and their scheds it would have been a all time low job. Totally get you got to do what you got to do though.

A few stories I read said he had 630 Total Time and 98 in the scarebus....

And, of course, the reporters in a breaking-news story took great pains to ensure that they fully understood what they were reporting and used the precise language that conveyed the entire meaning to the reader/listener/viewer, just like they always do.

I don't understand how this crash was possible. They were operating on a flight plan after all, and as we all know, the leading cause of crashes (according to reporters) is the lack of flight plans.

I don't understand how this crash was possible. They were operating on a flight plan after all, and as we all know, the leading cause of crashes (according to reporters) is the lack of flight plans.

Flight plans are only for those little planes with those irresponsible private pilots...

My question was not the transition altitude, but the QNH. In the US (in the flight levels) it's always 29.92" = 1013hPa. So what is the 1006hPa in this case, at FL380?

This is the interesting question - not the assignment of 96' as the AP altitude.

Because, if the readout was not properly set upon crossing whatever the boundary is - then it calls into question the reliance on the entire data feed if they did properly set it - and it is not properly reflected.

They could have just forgot.

Also - it took the FO an appreciable amount of time to dial in the new alt and get the AP to accept it. . . . . and start the airplane down.

Its called sitting reserve. Its the very bottom. Be careful for what you wish for.

Sorry, actually sitting ready reserve at the airport is the worst of it. Sitting ready reserve for 8 hours then not flying at all. is just complete boredom.

Reserves not that bad if you do it right. I used enjoy watching all the other people going to work each morning !

Obvious misprint. It was widely reported by more respectable news organizations that Otto was set to KILL. ;)

Back