Flightline 760A

John A Krumrine

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JohnK
Has anyone installed a Flightline 760A radio in their airplane? I installed my last week, and the radio portion seems to work ok, but the integrated intercom doesn't work at all. Anyone else have anything like this happen? Thanks for any recommendations.

Has anyone installed a Flightline 760A radio in their airplane? I installed my last week, and the radio portion seems to work ok, but the integrated intercom doesn't work at all. Anyone else have anything like this happen? Thanks for any recommendations.
John, looking at the installation manual, it appears Pin 5 on the connector has to be grounded for the intercom to work.

Also, paragraph 6.6 describes the setup procedure for the intercom VOX sensitivity.

You can always call them for help. 1-800-235-3300.

Attachments

• Flight Line FL-760A VHF Transceiver.pdf
    296.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks Stan. So the wire in pin 5 must be grounded separately, or does that mean that the #5 pin wire should go to ground? I wish their directions were a little more clear. I'll try grounding the #5 pin wire tomorrow and let you know how it works out. The radio seems pretty straight forward. I still only get static, but I believe that's a result of the airplane sitting in my garage. The first day I connected the harness, I did hear some voices, so I think the radio portion is fine. Once it works, it appears to be a great little unit.

John, you're right; the instructions leave a lot to be desired. The connector pinout illustration on page 5 describes pin 5 of the connector as: "Intercom (ground to activate)."

Looking at the attached schematic of the external connections to the FL-760 (not the FL-760A), the only way to make the microphones "hot" for the intercom is to 1) ground pin 5 through a push-to-talk switch, or 2) ground it all the time and program the VOX (voice activation) sensitivity as described in the manual:

Automatic voice operation control gain for intercom.
① Push the “MOD” button and select the VOX.
② Turn on the dial switch and Select the 00 to 80.
③ Push the arrow key, enter the VOX sensitivity.

If grounding pin 5 and then setting the VOX sensitivity as described above doesn't work for you, call them and get some tech support.

Attachments

• Flight Line FL-760 External Connections.jpg
    Flight Line FL-760 External Connections.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 18
John, you're right; the instructions leave a lot to be desired. The connector pinout illustration on page 5 describes pin 5 of the connector as: "Intercom (ground to activate)."

Looking at the attached schematic of the external connections to the FL-760 (not the FL-760A), the only way to make the microphones "hot" for the intercom is to 1) ground pin 5 through a push-to-talk switch, or 2) ground it all the time and program the VOX (voice activation) sensitivity as described in the manual:

If grounding pin 5 and then setting the VOX sensitivity as described above doesn't work for you, call them and get some tech support.

Well, I tried these ideas, and I was hopeful, but unfortunately, there is still a gremlin in the works. I disconnected the harness and sent it off to Aircraft Spruce today for evaluation--$19 postage. I did establish that Aircraft Spruce makes up the harnesses for these radios. If they determine there is nothing wrong with the harness, I'll try to go to Flightline direct. AS won't let me return anything because of their 30 return window that I just learned about. This inexpensive radio could get expensive very quickly.

Well, you gave it the old college try; sorry it didn't work. The Flightline manual is woefully underwhelming. My guess is that most folks who buy the FL-760A use it as a second com radio and have an external audio panel with intercom, so the internal FL-760A intercom has to be enabled by grounding pin 5 if the FL-760A is the only com and the airplane doesn't have a separate audio panel/intercom.

Last edited:
After sending back my Aircraft Spruce made harness to A S, they sent it back saying everything checked out ok. I still had same problem, so I contacted the Company that supplies the radio to A S. They asked me to send them the radio and harness. After they checked the harness they found numerous problems with the harness. I am now attempting to talk with the "right" person to get a replacement harness that works. Bottom line is if anyone else has bought a FL760A and purchased the pre assembled harness and had problems, you might want to get someone other than A S to check you harness.

So, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I just started working with a guy in his plane who has one of these radios. I actually also had one back in the day in my Cessna 120, but it's been a while. Are there others using this radio now?

Hello guys, new to the website. I stumbled by these postings. I have installed on my newly finished RV-8 this radio. It was working fine and never had used for flying until I recently had been testing all systems for final inspection (AWC). The radio is now "dead". I guess I am going to have to troubleshoot the whole set up. I wonder if there was a spike that had shorten the radio's circuitry... I don't even know if the radio has warranty anymore...

Back