FlightAware Solicits network of homebuilt ADS-B receivers

RoadRunner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Roadrunner
Incredible, and a very shrewd idea. In an effort to add precision to flight tracking, FlightAware has published detailed instructions for hacking together an ADS-B receiver using Rasberry Pi, then adding it to their network. REally clever but also amazing how cheaply you can build a receiver.

PiAware - build your own ADS-B ground station for integration with FlightAware
FlightAware

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piawar...lightfeeder&utm_content=wing&utm_term=request

Yep, this has been offered for awhile now.

Take advantage of inept government system design to publicise the private travel of your fellow citizens. Oh yay.

They’ve been asking people to install those for years now. It’s not new. It allows them to feed otherwise blocked aircraft (by FAA per request) into their database.

Of course, the root cause problem is that ADS-B doesn’t utilize any form of encryption, which would have been cheap and easy to implement, but we all know ADS-B is a pile of crap, engineering-wise, so it’s just another in the long list of engineering screwups in the overall project.

I'm only surprised this "news" didn't come from ForeFlight Fanboy#1. (some guy named Mike who attended a university in College Station)

I've had one for years. But FlightAware still follows the block list for even their home ADS-B receivers. On the other hand ADS-B Exchange doesn't do any blocking at all, but they also get no data directly from the FAA, only people with their own receivers.

Flightaware does still allow blocking of aircraft, so I don't really have a complaint there. The big thing it has allowed Flightaware to do is increase coverage beyond what the FAA has, as well as track aircraft that are not on IFR flight plans. You can now see any airborne ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, even guys just out in the pattern with no radar coverage. Flightaware has even gone so far as putting receivers in space to allow tracking over the oceans and most of the globe. I think their thought process is to help bridge that gap and help prevent, or at least find, flights like MH370.

Flightaware does still allow blocking of aircraft, so I don't really have a complaint there. The big thing it has allowed Flightaware to do is increase coverage beyond what the FAA has, as well as track aircraft that are not on IFR flight plans. You can now see any airborne ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, even guys just out in the pattern with no radar coverage. Flightaware has even gone so far as putting receivers in space to allow tracking over the oceans and most of the globe. I think their thought process is to help bridge that gap and help prevent, or at least find, flights like MH370.

AFAIK FlightAware has paid for exactly zero payloads on spacecraft.

They did it to track Malaysian airlines? What a crock of crap. They’re selling the collected data.

And they’re not censoring the collected data when they sell it, either.

THEY’RE A DATA COMPANY.

People who install receivers for them should ask for a cut of their gross revenues, not a “free” subscription.

Total stupidity.

AFAIK FlightAware has paid for exactly zero payloads on spacecraft.

They did it to track Malaysian airlines? What a crock of crap. They’re selling the collected data.

And they’re not censoring the collected data when they sell it, either.

THEY’RE A DATA COMPANY.

People who install receivers for them should ask for a cut of their gross revenues, not a “free” subscription.

Total stupidity.

Maybe they didn't directly do it, but they partnered with a company that did to provide global coverage.

https://flightaware.com/aireon/

Every online company is a data company, not shocking. Facebook does it, Google does it, Amazon does it. You don't even have to be an internet user to have your information splattered all over the internet, as I once proved to an older co-worker of mine. Welcome to the new world.

Maybe they didn't directly do it, but they partnered with a company that did to provide global coverage.

https://flightaware.com/aireon/

Every online company is a data company, not shocking. Facebook does it, Google does it, Amazon does it. You don't even have to be an internet user to have your information splattered all over the internet, as I once proved to an older co-worker of mine. Welcome to the new world.

I work for an “online company” that damn sure isn’t collecting or selling anyone’s data or tracking people’s locations. Care to amend your clueless statement?

And no, it’s not a “new world”, people have been using other’s data without permission to pay their mortgages for longer than the Internet has existed. Ask any bank.

I looked into the box from them. So let me get this straight...... I buy the equipment, hook it to you and you get the info free of charge and make all the money on my back? Well, I'm not that smart, but I ain't that stooopid either.

If you are in an area with an ADSB hole, they will send it to you for free though. But good luck on that unless you live well into the "bush".

Back