Flight video cam options on the cheap...

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I decided that I need a camera to take with me on my Vegas trip. I'm leaving Thursday and I'll be flying and mountain biking, both of which warrant video.

I had a hero 3 black but it was sold a while back. I want to quick pick something up to take with me. I don't like used electronics, so must be new. What are you guys' recommendations?

My only requirement is a microphone input(either the 2.5mm jack or USB mic input) so I can split into the cockpit audio. Other than that, as long as it takes pretty good video(I guess 720P would be the minimum) then I don't care what it is.

Technically budget doesn't matter but I'm trying to be cheap here so the less expensive, the better. Don't need flat-out junk.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I had settled on the white hero 3 but can't find one in stock anywhere.

I'm going to attempt to locate one in Vegas when I get there.

I have an audio splitter already but adding the USB to charge the battery is a great idea. I'll need to keep that in mind.

I did. Both stores, as well as every dealer in the area as listed on the GoPro site. No joy.

I did. Both stores, as well as every dealer in the area as listed on the GoPro site. No joy.

Amazon has it on stock if you can wait 1 or 2 days for shipping.

A side question....

Who can recommend a HD video camcorder with zoom that's small and reasonably priced? I have a gopro but really need something with a good optical zoom. I use a Cannon SLR with video but getting it to focus while zooming has always been difficult.

I had a canon video cam with a HDD and it was pretty decent. Not 1080p quality but if still made nice video and was reasonably small.

Amazon has it on stock if you can wait 1 or 2 days for shipping.

I fly out tomorrow morning. I suppose I'll call around right away when I get there and if I can't find one, I'll do that. I have several friends to ship it to, and I'm not renting the airplane until Tuesday.

probably too late, but Target carries the white gopro.

Back