Flight training question

Ramprat75

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Delta75
Had a question about when is the best time or season to start flight training I currently live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and luckily we tend to have mild weather especially in the winter time. I want to stay away from the rainy season and high wind season. Any advice?

Thanks

“If you dint like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes”

For the flying part, your could start about any time of the year. The winters over the past few years have gotten milder and while we might have a bit more IMC occurrence, there are still many flying days to be had.

The best months are October to early December, but that’s past.

If you are ready to start and have picked an instructor (btw, who if I may ask), I’d get going as soon as you can schedule.

And remember that you can always work in ground stuff when the weather isn’t good for training in the air.

And are you Part of the NTA Facebook group? That’s a good space to link up with other local Aviators.

Start anytime. You want some experience with windy days, even rainy days to an extent. If you can swing it financially 2-3 times a week will move you right along. No less than once a week or you'll regress and end up repeating lessons. Good luck.

I started in December, 30 years ago. (Wow! Can't believe it's been that long.) We have mild winters here, so not a real issue. Tried to fly once a week then, on limited means. The more often you can fly, the better. Get to it!

If other weather conditions allow, there is a lot to be said for flying in cooler temperatures. You'll be spending a lot of time at low altitudes and it can get awfully hot. The cockpit is like a greenhouse.

Whenever you have the time and money to do it.

If other weather conditions allow, there is a lot to be said for flying in cooler temperatures. You'll be spending a lot of time at low altitudes and it can get awfully hot. The cockpit is like a greenhouse.
What he said - no jokey smokey, especially in a trainer plane, and even more so in the south.

I can remember several students with whom I agonized, waiting for some windy/gusty weather so that I could train them in landing under those conditions...I wasn't about to sign them off for their checkrides without demonstrated competency. If you encounter those conditions from the get-go you will be a better pilot for it.

Bob

Had a question about when is the best time or season to start flight training I currently live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and luckily we tend to have mild weather especially in the winter time. I want to stay away from the rainy season and high wind season. Any advice?

Thanks
Now. No matter the weather, no matter the season, start Now. Don't procrastinate. Perfect days are few and far between. Altho yesterday (dec 2) was absolutely perfect in the Denver area. Today, not so great. High winds, snow forecast for the evening, etc.

Back