Flight training (Private) in CLT area, North Carolina?

Rook

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rook
First off, hi all - long-time lurker but new user, first post, etc :)

I moved to North Carolina earlier this year, and live on the west side of Charlotte. I'd previously gotten most of the way through my Private training (approx. 40 hrs so far, all requirements met save an hour of hood time) and, after a short break while I got adjusted here, am now keen to finish up. I've looked at a few training providers in the area - Fly Carolinas, Alpha One, Premier Air, Race City etc - but I'm short of word-of-mouth info. Does anyone have any strong recommendations, whether pro- or anti- a particular provider? Recs for particular CFIs at these providers are also welcome. Thanks!

Yo, can't type much now, will respond later but based on ur question, not sure how much I'll help u.

Hey, anything is welcome. Thanks!

Ok so I don't train or rent out of any of those places. I called fly Carolina several times and didn't ever get a good feeling talking to them. I think alpha one and/or premier are cirrus shops and I know better than to fly those things....race city I think has one Cessna. I've been up there a few times and have always spoken to nice peeps plus it would be cool always flying over lk Norman every flight but I don't know any CFIs there. So like I said, not sure any of this info helps.

Ok so I don't train or rent out of any of those places. I called fly Carolina several times and didn't ever get a good feeling talking to them.
You know, I've kind of had the same feeling. It might be just me, but there's a certain type of slickness in websites and marketing materials that gives me a bad feeling about a place. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Race City or Premier Air, but a lot will depend on the face to face conversations. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You try Monroe executive? I know they have CFIs there and rental aircraft.

I would highly recommend Larry Morris who owns Tarheel Aero Tech out of Concord. Larry is a true aviator with a vast collection of airplanes. Larry is also the designated flight examiner for the concord area. I'm not sure if he has anything smaller than a 182 for instruction but a quick call to him will lead you on the right path. If he can't help you out he will give you the right contact based off his check ride experiences. If you want to further your training he has a G1000 182, and a Mooney M20j he rents. His personal collection consist of an SNJ and a Piper Malibu.

I would strongly recommend Aerowood aviation out of Monroe Executive KEQY. I Live in Matthews and just finished my PPL this past Wednesday - passed my checkride! They have probably 10 CFI's there with various qualifications. They have 8-10 rental aircraft. Very nice to work with and quality training. I have my plane hangered at the airport now.

Russell

I would strongly recommend Aerowood aviation out of Monroe Executive KEQY. I Live in Matthews and just finished my PPL this past Wednesday - passed my checkride! They have probably 10 CFI's there with various qualifications. They have 8-10 rental aircraft. Very nice to work with and quality training. I have my plane hangered at the airport now.

Russell

I agree, a lot of instructors to choose from. Although I didn't do my primary there, seems like a good choice.

If you're still looking, check the CFI database at Gold Seal for North Carolina. A number are listed with their contact info around Charlotte. You'll have to register to get to the CFI search, but registration is painless and free. Hopefully you might hook up with someone to fly with.

www.OnlineGroundSchool.com

Thanks for the help, all! This thread's not only been good for initial training provider ideas, but also for some folks to go to for tailwheel, instrument and other stuff down the road. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

I've got a few instructors I know of up on our end of the Lake (I'm at NC26), but none have aircraft to rent and I've not got any experience with the local flight schools.

I know you're on the west side of charlotte, but if you aren't far from 485, Wilgrove airport shouldn't be too far for you. I did my first intro ride with fly carolina, nice people but not quite the atmosphere for me. Too commercialized. Wilgrove is a lot more laid back, more of a good Ole boys operation. Can't say a bad thing about it, probably the cheapest around too. Finished my private last fall, and now close to taking my IR check ride there too. It's nothing fancy, but wouldn't trade it. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. Eman has some experience out there as well. Whatever you decide, good luck! Here's a look down RWY 17
Screenshot_2016-04-16-21-09-57-1.png

Last edited:
Back