Flight Training artical.

erichardwick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
HeadInTheClouds
Just thought I'd share something i read last night in flight training magazine. Artical was titled how to predict wake turbulence. On my on going adventure towards my PPL, i found this to be very intresting and useful info. Did anyone else read it? What was your thoughts on it? Has anyone ever experieced wake turbulence first hand?

I read that article as well and thought it interesting, did not realize it was that big of a deal?? I would be interested in hearing what you pilots have to say?

Not really a friend got rolled quite a bit at altitude in cruise when a large military aircraft passed over head likely on the way in or out of Maguire AFB. He said it scared the crap out of him. Smooth clear day and BAM! almost knifes edge or so it seemed.

I am pretty concious of that stuff and have declined a cleared to depart as a student in a small gruman trainer following a DC-9. As I've flown more I will always not the touchdown and take off point of larger aircraft and plan my takeoffs and landings accordingly.

I recall once flying in a Seneca into KBOS behind a 757 we stayed high and fast and chopped and dropped just after his point of touchdown. Interesting ride to say the least.

Good on you by the way for researching this stuff.

I've never experienced WT but my husband has as a Pax on board an airliner. On take off the 7*7 (whichever one it was?) first rolled right then left then right and Kevin thought "Oh boy, we've bought it now' They were only about 200-300 AGL - As he was exiting the plane the pilot was standing there and Kevin looked him in the eye and said "Great recovery" - they just nodded to each other and smiled. Don't think the other Pax had any idea what happed.

I don't fly into lg. airports often but when I do I'm very aware of the WT issue -

I've been blasted by both a Blackhawk and a large transport plane on approach to Mcguire, it was rough to say the least. Remember, not just fixed wing make it, that blackhawk threw our 152 around in the sky.

Yes, once while landing as a non-solo-student. We were issued the "caution wake turbulence" by ATC during our final into class C. I forget the details of the conversation with my CFI, but it was something like. Me: "should we be concerned"...Him: "it'll be close. keep going". As soon as we crossed the threshold we were pitched to the left, corrected, pitched to the right, full power added, call to ATC with aborted landing notice. Him: "guess you gave them a show", referring to the airliner passengers on the taxi way.

I still maintain that it was a test to see if I would abort a landing.

W-T was drummed into me from just about week one..it's a big deal, and can get your a** if you are not totally aware of it, especially since you cannot see it or feel it until it's upon you.

Same here... more like week 3 though, since that's when I started training at KDET. Lots of smaller jet traffic there, you really had to be aware of it. On my first solo, I did a go-around rather than land immediately after one of them departed. Tower was very understanding, but it did mean 4 trips around the pattern instead of 3. :)

Back