flight training age

Most instructors save crashing until the second lesson.

Sounds like he/she should have spent more time explaining / preparing. You can do some really stupid **** and not crash. Trust me on that one.

You can also crash and walk away completely unharmed, trust me on that one...:rolleyes2::D

You know? Rereading this thread brought to mind something that might be worth mentioning.

The first time I climbed in the pilot seat of a plane was in the front seat of a WWII era Aeronca Champ. As I recall, it had no artificial horizon, and just bare minimum steam gauges. It didn't even have a radio. It was about as dirt simple as anything that I know of.

Maybe that's why I didn't relate to the inner feeling that you were telling us about. It might be worth seeing if you can find an instructor with a Champ or a J3 Cub as your trainer for the first few hours. I didn't solo in it, but I did my first six hours. It took much of my concentration to handle the rudder pedals. When I went to the 150, my rudder control was completely automatic, taking one ring away from the multiple ring circus. Another six hours in the 150 and I solo'd. I REALLY think it would have been longer to solo had I started in the 150.

If you COULD find such a plane for instruction it might alleviate alot of what you felt. You sit in front of the instructor with no one rubbing elbows. The controls are so sparse, you might not have the control and indicator overload that crept into your mind.

Just a thought. Stick with it and good luck,
Doc

Pat,

I experienced some of the same sensations on my first flight. When I first got into the airplane (a C152) I thought you have got to be kidding me. This thing is sized for a kid!

Taxiing was another adventure. I knew kind of how to steer from playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, but in the real airplane I felt like I had two left feet. I didn't know where the pivot point was for the toe brakes so I was just horsing the pedals around like I was back on a farm tractor.

Prior to the second lesson I told the CFI that I wanted to take more time during the pre-flight and figure that plane out before hopping in. He obliged and we went through it from nose to tail. We also went into the hangar where a plane was disassembled and looked at the control rigging, etc. That day went a long way to making me more comfortable with the airplane.

I am still with the same CFI and now wrapping up my instrument rating with him.

Hang in there. You're not alone with your concerns.

You know? Rereading this thread brought to mind something that might be worth mentioning.

The first time I climbed in the pilot seat of a plane was in the front seat of a WWII era Aeronca Champ. As I recall, it had no artificial horizon, and just bare minimum steam gauges. It didn't even have a radio. It was about as dirt simple as anything that I know of.

Maybe that's why I didn't relate to the inner feeling that you were telling us about. It might be worth seeing if you can find an instructor with a Champ or a J3 Cub as your trainer for the first few hours. I didn't solo in it, but I did my first six hours. It took much of my concentration to handle the rudder pedals. When I went to the 150, my rudder control was completely automatic, taking one ring away from the multiple ring circus. Another six hours in the 150 and I solo'd. I REALLY think it would have been longer to solo had I started in the 150.

If you COULD find such a plane for instruction it might alleviate alot of what you felt. You sit in front of the instructor with no one rubbing elbows. The controls are so sparse, you might not have the control and indicator overload that crept into your mind.

Just a thought. Stick with it and good luck,
Doc
I am with you on this. Frankly, at risk of sounding like some sort of snobbish throwback, I think if you plan to fly anything with rudder pedals, you ought to try a few glider flights. Tailwheel flying woke up my feet, but glider flying really taught me how to dance.
Granted, the inputs, and the reasons for them, are often different than flying any typical nosewheel airplane, but the basic principles are the same, and the less leeway you have, the more the lessons stick.
then there's glider flying as it applies to "flying the wing"... but that's another discussion. :D

Tailwheel flying woke up my feet, but glider flying really taught me how to dance.
Granted, the inputs, and the reasons for them, are often different than flying any typical nosewheel airplane,

How so? :dunno:

I've only had one glider flight, but after doing it and thinking through it after the fact, I didn't think the reasons for the inputs were different - Just that the different responses emphasized the same reasons!

For example - Lots of adverse yaw in the glider. Well, that makes perfect sense - With the long wing, the higher arm from the CG that the ailerons have will result in a much higher yaw moment. Very different response than I'm used to, but the reason for the rudder input is the same.

I started when I was 61. It took me a lot longer than most folks, but I saw it through and got my ticket. I'm 68 now, still flying.

John

Back