Flight track cut out when FF cancelled

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I was flying back from Phoenix last month and was on flight following. I decided to divert to El Centro for fuel. I cancelled FF and landed, picked fuel and then re-established FF for the remainder of the trip.

If you look at my flight track it looks like my track dropped off just as I cancelled FF and picked back up when I picked up FF again. Is this normal? I thought the flight track did not matter on whether you were on FF or not.

Attachments

• Flight track.PNG
    Flight track.PNG
    153.8 KB · Views: 23
Just out of curiosity, what kind of ADS-B are you using? I use a UAT transciever and virtually never show up on FlightAware unless I'm using flight following or have otherwise engaged ATC.

Every single flight I take here around Ontario and Quebec is fully tracked on FlightAware via my ADS-B out. They pick me up just off the runway, and lose me just before I land, even if I'm just flying circuits at an uncontrolled airport and not talking to anyone. I have a Garmin GTX-345, which is dual 978/1090 MHz, so maybe it's the 1090 ES that all the hobbyists on the ground are picking up with their hardware and passing on to FlightAware.

I think it has something to do with the 978 and discreet squawk codes. I have the GTX 345r and I always show up but others I know that use 978MHz don't show up until they set a discreet code and go away as soon as they squawk 1200.

What's more interesting to me is those spikes in airspeed! I don't think I've ever seen that before. 600mph spikes?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of ADS-B are you using? I use a UAT transciever and virtually never show up on FlightAware unless I'm using flight following or have otherwise engaged ATC.

Same here on the tailbeacon equipped planes I fly.

I think it has something to do with the 978 and discreet squawk codes. I have the GTX 345r and I always show up but others I know that use 978MHz don't show up until they set a discreet code and go away as soon as they squawk 1200.

What's more interesting to me is those spikes in airspeed! I don't think I've ever seen that before. 600mph spikes?

My Comanche 180 is very fast

You'll only be picked up with UAT (when not using radar services) if someone in the area is tracking you. If you're near a bigger city, you're more likely to be tracked. I track traffic for both 1090 and UAT within my area. I pick up (and send the data to FlightAware) airliners from 250 miles away when they are at altitude, and little GA planes from 50 or 60 miles depending on obstructions.

If you fly through central Florida, you'll probably show up on flight aware. ;)

UAT

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.44.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 12.46.05 PM.jpg

SkyBeacon is UAT only. FlightAware doesn't track UAT/978 mhz. UAT is different than "standard" ADSB-out (1090 mhz). If FlightAware sees and tracks your airplane at all, it will only be through the FAA's data feed...an ATC service like flight following that you have to actively engage.

SkyBeacon is UAT only. FlightAware doesn't track UAT/978 mhz. UAT is different than "standard" ADSB-out (1090 mhz). If FlightAware sees and tracks your airplane at all, it will only be through the FAA's data feed...an ATC service like flight following that you have to actively engage.
Or feeds like mine.....

Here's an example of FlightAware tracking me via ADS-B on a day that I took off from an untowered airport on a half-hour local flight, without a flight plan, remaining mostly in class G airspace, without talking to any ATU, and probably not climbing above 2,500 ft. I was looking for an example when I was just flying circuits/patterns, but FA lets me go back only a few months in the flight history without a paid subscription. I took off from runway 27, and on the return, overflew the airport for the standard (Canadian) overhead entry, then came back across to join the mid right downwind for 27. It tracked me right around until very short final, then the track vanishes.

upload_2020-12-1_13-52-27.png

FlightAware doesn't track UAT/978 mhz. UAT is different than "standard" ADSB-out (1090 mhz). If FlightAware sees and tracks your airplane at all, it will only be through the FAA's data feed...an ATC service like flight following that you have to actively engage.
Not true. FlightAware most certainly tracks UAT/978MHz as long as there’s a feeder that supports it within line of sight of the aircraft. You also don’t have to actively engage with ATC to receive the data, in fact, you don’t have to be in communication with them at all.

Back