Flight today to Penn Avionics

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
You may recal my blog post or my post regarding my flight last weekend to Reading with my family where Reading reported my Mode-C all over the place,.. even down to MINUS 600!!

Well, this afternoon was the time to fly the plane from KLOM - K0QN to get the Mode-C looked at. I arrived at Wings Field and began my preflight. Once setup, I went into the terminal and called Philadelphia Clearance Delivery to let them know that I'd be making the flight. The Squalk on the transponder works fine, just the Mode C, and being close to Phili and within the Mode-C Veil, I figured it is best to call than hafe to fill out an ASRS form.

The gentleman was very nice on the phone and after I told him initially that I was going to fly without Mode C to get it fixed, he just asked basic information like I was filing a flight plan. N#, Airport departing, going to, altitude, how long, and what time I expected to depart. He told me to remain clear of the Bravo (I was going under the 3000 foot shelf at 2500) and gave me a Waiver Number of 090809 (today's date) since I was the only one today that needed a Waiver.

I departed RY 6 at Wings and then turned around to head to Brandywine. Called up Phili Approach briefly to verify the Mode-C was out, and they reported it jumping around, so I turned it back to the ON position and squalked 1200 as I decended into Brandywine for a RT pattern RY 9. Made a nice landing and parked over at Penn Avionics. Ken met me there, and I explained the trouble to him and he thinks he knows what to check. Should be done by the weekend.

Lots of nice looking panels in progress over at Penn Avionics,... :ihih: even picked up a catalog to drool over as Bob picked me up and took me back to my car at Wings.

Wow Rob, I could have saved Bob the trouble. I stopped at West Chester on my way home from work tonight to drop off my daughter's Cell phone charger. I even stopped at OQN on the way back home (at around 5:30).

Wow,.. we were about to pull out of the parking lot! I landed at 4:58, dropped the keys off after closing up and tieing down about 5:20, and then walked around to the flight school parking lot side to meet Bob. We must have just missed one another.

Might pick up the plane Friday or Sunday, depending on weather and when we get the call from Ken.

My transponder gave me fits on the way up to 6Y9. Switched to a squawk code but it still transmitted VFR. Cycled it, and it transmitted code after a long delay. had ot switch again and the same thing happened. Changed course entirely, didn't want to go over Lake Michigan with a faulty transponder and no one knowing where I was. Took the longer route over the straits of Mackinac. The thing worked fine on the way back, though.

Back