Flight To Ohare

maximus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MAXIMUS
I am planning on making a trip to ORD next friday. Anyone have experince going there? IFR or VFR? Reservations? Any other information that would help

Maximus

Are you going in a ship capable of 170 kts? When you do they put you on the ILS 4 at PLANO at 8,000 and put you in line. If not, they'll circle you SW and plug you in at the last moment...if there is a space.

Sigh.

bbchien said:
Are you going in a ship capable of 170 kts? When you do they put you on the ILS 4 at PLANO at 8,000 and put you in line. If not, they'll circle you SW and plug you in at the last moment...if there is a space.

Sigh.

No, I am going in a piper arrow. Do you think there will be space to plug me in?

Maximus

Not between 0700 and 1000, nor 1500 to 1900 for sure. Maybe in the mid-day, though.

I'm going into ORD Wed morning, exept it is in a king air 200, Signiture is a little pricey, I think we pay around 150.00 for the 200. I have seen Mooneys and such parked there, You have to fly fast then stop short. 170 then make the first turn off, ask for a progresive when you taxi, it can be a bit confusing.
Have fun it is a neat thing to do
Joe
cfii multi-comm

Seems to me that someone on the AOPA BBS flew into ORD with a C182 or similar within the last year. I don't recall who it was, maybe someone on here does, or possibly saved the thread or his report when it was over.

bbchien said:
Not between 0700 and 1000, nor 1500 to 1900 for sure. Maybe in the mid-day, though.

Well it looks like Ohare is out then. I will go to midway and have my passengers take a shuttle to Ohare.

Maximus

maximus said:
Well it looks like Ohare is out then. I will go to midway and have my passengers take a shuttle to Ohare.

Maximus

You could fly into Schaumburg and if you buy some fuel, drive your passengers to O'Hare using the FBO's courtesy van.

It may look close, but it could take a half hour anywhere near rush hour. Take the "Elgin-O'Hare" to Route 53, north to the NW tollway, east to O'Hare.

It'll much less of a hassle than getting to O'Hare from Midway or Palwaukee.

I would fly to the south and west around the Chicago Class B at 2700 feet via the Chicago Heights VOR and DuPage airport to the west. I have no familiarity with the supposed corridor down the Eisenhower, squeezing by Midway. I like flying a thousand feet higher anyway.

Mind the 1900 foot MSL Class B shelf you have to duck under. Don't wander far enough east that you hit the surface shelf, meaning don't cross route 53.

Read the departure procedure in the FBO. There is exactly one guy who lives in Roselle east of the airport you WILL report you if you fly over his house.

I do not know if O'hare has slot reservations? If flying into O'hare is anything like flying into Atlanta Hartsfield it should not be a major problem. I always file IFR and fly IFR but I make sure I let the controller know if I can maintain VFR and avoid having to "get in line" on the approaches. I normally just ask to circle and coordinate with the tower for the "squeeze." Now they do expect you to "keep your speed up" and land short. I can normally give them about 140 kts. to the numbers and this keeps them happy. Keep in mind this is Atlanta, but I guessed it would be somewhat similar. If I can offer up one more piece of advice let me say this, I do not know your experience level, and I do not mean to insult as you may be far more experienced than I and able to handle KORD find alone, but I would not call flying into one of these high density traffic airports a single pilot operation at least not on the first flight in. This comes into play the most during taxi / grounds ops where you really have to maintain SA on the surface by keeping up with position on diagram and taxi the airplane around a lot more planes and vehicles than you may be used to. I would have definately been way overwhelmed had I been SP on my first flight into ATL. Anyhow have a good trip whatever you choose and GO CUBS.

Maximus, when I have pax for ORD I go to Millionaire Midway, get the $20/day day car rental, drive up Cicero to I290, west to 294, north to ORD. It's a good deal. Do beware rush hours, though...then the Orange line and Blue line to ORD make the most sense.

mikea said:
You could fly into Schaumburg...

Max, do you specifically need to get to ORD? Schaumburg is indeed the closest on the ground especially during rush hour, but if your destination is somewhere else there are lots of choices (PWK, DPA, 06C,3CK,MDW etc).

Wow, I guess Baltimore's Class B is pretty great, after all!

Back