Flight to Mexico

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
This weekend I am flying down to Rocky Point, Mexico with some friends, Looks like we are taking 3 planes, and 9 people total, should be a blast. I have Baja insurance for Mexico flying, and am following two pilots who fly there regularly. However, I have never flown outside the continental US. and was wondering if there is any words of advice, or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Michael said:
This weekend I am flying down to Rocky Point, Mexico with some friends, Looks like we are taking 3 planes, and 9 people total, should be a blast. I have Baja insurance for Mexico flying, and am following two pilots who fly there regularly. However, I have never flown outside the continental US. and was wondering if there is any words of advice, or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
Just be prepared for your re-entry into the USA. Make certain that all aircraft paperwork is in perfect order, and that your pax have acceptable Identification. Also, plan extra time for your Customs visit. My last one took over an hour for the two of us. We were the only ones there, and they didn't examine our luggage. The never ending interview :vomit:

Make sure the airplane's insurance covers you in mx Mike. This is a separate issue from whether or not you have purchased the "Mexico Insurance".

The Flight Plan is not a SAR function whatsoever. Once you file, they couldn't give a flip if you flew straight into a whale's mouth in the Pacific ocean. It is just a paperwork-filing task to give their people a job. Crash and you are on your own.

AOPA has a whole section on Flying In Mexico somewhere on their website. Or ask Dave S, he was there this winter.

Make absolutely sure you REALLY KNOW who is in your plane. Upon return if there is so much as a sprig of maryjane in anyones possession (expect drug dogs) YOU WILL LOSE YOUR AIRPLANE TO CUSTOMS FOREVER and probably go to jail.

Last edited:
I 2nd the suggestion you make sure your pax have all their papers in order. It's really important you do this.

And per Dr Chien's experience, be sure to bring your cam corder and fresh batteries for same.

Richard said:
I 2nd the suggestion you make sure your pax have all their papers in order. It's really important you do this.

And per Dr Chien's experience, be sure to bring your cam corder and fresh batteries for same.

Whats the camcorder for?

Michael,
Baja Bush Pilots website also has everything you wanted to know about
flying to and from Mexico. I was there in April, it was smooth and easy
going down. US FSS gave us some grief coming back, but customs was
relatively easy. As others have said, just make sure all the paper work is
done. All the forms are available online and the BBP site has links to customs
etc. By the way, I got the Customs sticker before I left by ordering it online and had it overnighted to me, one less thing to deal with coming back when dealing with customs. If you need anything else, just let me know. Have Fun
Don

www.bajabuspilots.com

Last edited:
Michael said:
Whats the camcorder for?

Dr. B caught an attempted planting of "contraband" by corrupt customs officials, on videotape.

It (the video) helped to clarify events.

SCCutler said:
Dr. B caught an attempted planting of "contraband" by corrupt customs officials, on videotape.

Actually, my Vice squad partner was the wise one. Without which I would have been toast. It was a plant, pure and simple and caught on tape. "We (customs) will SEIZE whatever we want...."

SCCutler said:

Oh My. :hairraise:

bbchien said:
Actually, my Vice squad partner was the wise one. Without which I would have been toast. It was a plant, pure and simple and caught on tape. "We (customs) will SEIZE whatever we want...."

So its not a good idea to take any valubles down there like my laptop? what about GPS ect?

Michael:

I didn't have any real issues going to Cozumel last year. Did my homework by reading up on the AOPA board. Get the 800 number for U.S. Customs. Make sure they get advance notice before you return-one hour if possible. If you're returning to a point that's not staffed all the time, the officers must commute over--they get real miffed if notice is short. If they are not there when you arrive, you will have to sit in the plane until they arrive and they won't be happy campers.

Even if the Mexican officials tell you they notified customs; have someone do it directly anyway. If you can't use a phone on the ground, call FSS and ask for help as far from the border as possible. Show U.S. Customs "Advise Customs" was on your flight plan.

Mexico has some fees you should be aware of. Gas must often be paid for in cash- not credit cards, travelers checks or other instruments; US dollars or Pesos.

Check the currency rate here and there if you're going to purchase much; you may get a better deal from your local bank than a Mexican hotel or retailer.

I benefited in Cozumel and New Orleans by having three teenaged nieces that liked to flirt with the customs guys. One is pretty striking and wore a halter top. No baggage was checked at either place.:rolleyes: Wonder why?

Have a great trip.

Dave

Last edited:
Michael said:
So its not a good idea to take any valubles down there like my laptop? what about GPS ect?
No, that's OK. The danger is from AMERICAN customs, and involves you life and livelihood. Theft in mexico is just material stuff.

Dave Siciliano said:
I benefited in Cozumel and New Orleans by having three teenaged nieces that liked to flirt with the customs guys. One is pretty striking and wore a halter top. No baggage was checked at either place.:rolleyes: Wonder why?

Have a great trip.

Dave

So next years trip you can bring them down to Florida to see the beaches. Do they like Fire Fighters?

Sorry couldn't resist I am a 19 year old single guy! haha

robsingles said:
So next years trip you can bring them down to Florida to see the beaches. Do they like Fire Fighters?

Sorry couldn't resist I am a 19 year old single guy! haha

Hey Rob. Far as I can tell, they like everyone! Over the years, I've learned not to venture into the arcane area of trying to predict where the female psyche will go! So, I don't know 'bout firemen specifically.

Uncle Dave just provides support, encouragement and the airplane! :D

Dave

A 800 # for US customs? Please fill in the rest of the digits. What does it do for you? I always needed to call the EXACT local number for customs at the intended airport of entry ( a real PIA !).

what about the radio license? i've read that if you have your PP, it doesn't matter, but seems like a technicality the mexican officers could get you on if they wanted to.

Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Rob. Far as I can tell, they like everyone! Over the years, I've learned not to venture into the arcane area of trying to predict where the female psyche will go! So, I don't know 'bout firemen specifically.

Uncle Dave just provides support, encouragement and the airplane! :D

Dave

How about Police Officers? I will have that academy finished by July? ha. I appreciate the humor taking the right way! Certainly are lucky to have an uncle with sweet airplane taste!

Michael said:

Thanks in advance.

Michael, read Dan Checkoway's log. He's made the trip twice in the last year and has lots of good tips to share:

http://www.rvproject.com/2004_mexico_trip_log.html

And, HAVE FUN!

Back