Flight to Mammoth

Hello guys. Thanks for all your comments and advice. I truly appreciate it. I decided very last minute (at the airport with the family!!) that the flight with worsening weather conditions (every TAF and other sources were worsening every other hour) was outside my comfort zone. We are diving up there as we speak! Sometimes you’ve got to make the painful decision not to fly (my instructor told me 8 years ago). Be safe!

Hello guys. Thanks for all your comments and advice. I truly appreciate it. I decided very last minute (at the airport with the family!!) that the flight with worsening weather conditions (every TAF and other sources were worsening every other hour) was outside my comfort zone. We are diving up there as we speak! Sometimes you’ve got to make the painful decision not to fly (my instructor told me 8 years ago). Be safe!
This is the decision I was hoping for! The good news is you are only loosing a few hours and you won't be stressed the whole time you are there worrying about if and when you can make it back .

Glad to hear it. Someday you'll get to make that flight, and it is fun when the weather is reasonable.

The weather image that Bruce posted is misleading, it doesn't show precip on the east side of the mountains, but I can almost assure you it will be there but never show up on radar, because it will be too low.

I have a photo of from one day about 10 years ago where I made the same decision as OP to drive instead of fly. As I crested the grade coming up to Crowley Lake, I pulled over and got a great photo of a rotor cloud sitting right on top of KMMH... I'll try to find that and post it later today.

I saw at least one comment above that Aterpster doesn't know what he's talking about. If my suspicion is right (based on similar posts on BeechTalk), I'd bet he knows more than most of us and that he has a solid resume of both commercial airline captain and one of the guys who was actively involved in designing instrument approaches and airspace. Don't be too quick to discount him, he has a wealth of knowledge. I do wonder though, if he is looking at this through the eyes of someone who's flown big iron with much more capability than some others here on POA.

I fully respect him for what he knows, but in this case he is apparently not familiar with all of the risks involved in that local area, particularly in the winter. He also clearly has a rather different perspective on piston single risk management that I have.

Definitely stop at Schat's. The one in Bishop. The one in Mammoth is ok, but isn't the original. There was apparently some falling out in the family a long time ago...

...I have a photo of from one day about 10 years ago where I made the same decision as OP to drive instead of fly. As I crested the grade coming up to Crowley Lake, I pulled over and got a great photo of a rotor cloud sitting right on top of KMMH... I'll try to find that and post it later today.
I had a similar experience in the vicinity of Palmdale one year (except I didn't take a picture of the rotor).

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground."

I fully respect him for what he knows, but in this case he is apparently not familiar with all of the risks involved in that local area, particularly in the winter. He also clearly has a rather different perspective on piston single risk management that I have.
I know the area. I've been going to the June Lake area since before I can remember. I also have flown the Owens Valley in light airplanes quite a few times over the years, albeit never in the winter. I was trying to be helpful. Then again, I wouldn't fly into KMMH in the winter unless in a turbine airplane.

I know the area. I've been going to the June Lake area since before I can remember. I also have flown the Owens Valley in light airplanes quite a few times over the years, albeit never in the winter. I was trying to be helpful. Then again, I wouldn't fly into KMMH in the winter unless in a turbine airplane.

You clearly missed the whole point of the OPs question.

Last edited:
Then I have to be curious enough to ask, why would you recommend a route that you just admitted you would not fly yourself? The parameters were clearly set, piston single in the winter.

Oh come on. You couldn't perform an off field landing along this section of V230? /s

v230.jpg

486a1c1cdd8ca91ec5b78bdd5b7320ea.jpg

Those seem like some sporty winds today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting. Why avoid the middle of The Valley? Also when you say western edge what exactly do you mean? Over the actual ridge?
Hey, so I found personally the most comfortable altitudes in the 9,5 or 10,5 range, depending on direction. It negates the need for cannulas and with some of those peaks going up to 12K-14K I feel like it keeps me "under" the bigger rotors.

Not over the actual ride, if going north then yes, stay nearer to the western edge.. you'll already be on that section to avoid the restricted airspaces and I've got smoother rides there. If you picture a river or rapids the fastest and most turbulent water tends to be in the middle

Good luck! It's a fun, rewarding trip. Cool to leave the palm trees in the San Diego area and land in a snowy wonderland

**and I would actively advise against cross the Sierras, unless you're further north like Tahoe / SPOOK areas where the terrain is lower. You don't want to be crossing where the peaks are 12K or higher. Owens valley has a major highway running through it, several settlements and lodging options, and several bail out points. That's the route to take. No, you can't go that way IFR but it's fine VFR and as long as you're over 6,5K you shouldn't have any issue talking with Joshua approach, they're friendly and usually pretty quiet.

Just saw someone post on FB they did this trip in a Baron from LA. They mention at one point catching a 2800fpm updraft, sideways.

Back