Flight to England

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
SO I have been wanting to do this since forever. A trip in the mooney to England. Next spring I am going to take the time off. Who wants to go with :)
:yes:

Michael, you needn't even go out of your way, I'll come to your door. Last year I was offered a Pt 91 copilot ride in a 337 to England and Switzerland. I turned it down.

Michael said:
SO I have been wanting to do this since forever. A trip in the mooney to England. Next spring I am going to take the time off. Who wants to go with :)
:yes:

What's the routing? Drop me of in Iceland, I need to get arrested there.

Stop in at BNA to pick me up nd I'll even help with the fuel (kind of me don't you think :))

Last edited:
lancefisher said:

On the "red" board there was a thread on the "World's Hottest Cop" and she was from Iceland.

If you're serious I have a contact in Essex that can put you in touch with some local pilots when you arrive.

AirBaker said:
All is lost..... :(
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/376/228125.jpg

228125.jpg

Google for " Unnur Birna Vilhjálmsdóttir "

Hot would be an understatement. Currently Miss World 2005

Day-am! I'm with Ed. I've never wanted to be arrested so bad in my life. If word gets out they're gonna' have to build a bigger jail.

Michael, I've gone as far as Newfoundland but also have relatives in England. When are you going and for how long? Maybe we can get get a convoy. Would love to try it.

This wont be untill March of next year (2007) Figure i better start saving now.
Convoy sounds fun.

In March the weather will be awful, both on the cross (Nfld/Greenland/Iceland) as well as in England! Want to try in August?

Well, August will bring PM Thunderstorms. whats wrong with March besides winds?

What is your remaining useful load after fuel (is a ferry tank required) and survival equipment?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
What is your remaining useful load after fuel (is a ferry tank required) and survival equipment?

Len
depends on how many people are going. with full fuel and 2 people, I will have plenty of useful left. I have read about others making the crossing thru the northern route (greenland) who didnt use a ferry tank. 3-4 hours was their longest point over water. i figure with the mooney, 3 hours should be tops. I have about 5 hours worth of fuel available to me.
yes survival equip is required!

Michael said:
This wont be untill March of next year (2007) Figure i better start saving now.
Convoy sounds fun.

Sounds like we all need to chip in for a DC-3, and fly that puppy to England!

Michael said:
Well, August will bring PM Thunderstorms. whats wrong with March besides winds?

Michael, you obviously have spent far too long in the sun!:D

Labrador, Newfoundland and Greenland are still in the dead of winter in March (as is Chicago LOL!). Snow/sleet can run into May although that is unusual (I was once salmon fishing in Nfld on June 8th in the middle of a blizzard - had to warm your hands up before you could change a fly). Once it starts to warm up you can get extensive fog banks/rain over areas affected by the Labrador current, and in that neck of the woods you have a loooong way to go to find an alternate. Fog and rain can continue into July. The real summer in that area is August/September, that's when you can usually count on VFR.

bstratt said:
Michael, I've gone as far as Newfoundland but also have relatives in England. When are you going and for how long? Maybe we can get get a convoy. Would love to try it.
It's not "'get get' a convoy"; it's "we got us a convoy!"

As in, what's your -20, good buddy, I'm headin' east of the choke and puke on 80 picking up the back door of my rattlin' low boy buddy and mo-bile fillin' station. Looks like we got us a convoy! Hammer down and C'mon back.

Must be the canuck inya:)

That reminds me: a friend of mine has a GAS GAS franchise. If you ride motorcycles or used to or ever wanted to or know some who did, does, or wants to, go to GASGAS.COM and check it out.

Richard said:
It's not "'get get' a convoy"; it's "we got us a convoy!"

As in, what's your -20, good buddy, I'm headin' east of the choke and puke on 80 picking up the back door of my rattlin' low boy buddy and mo-bile fillin' station. Looks like we got us a convoy! Hammer down and C'mon back.

Must be the canuck inya:)

That reminds me: a friend of mine has a GAS GAS franchise. If you ride motorcycles or used to or ever wanted to or know some who did, does, or wants to, go to GASGAS.COM and check it out.
Richard. that post only dropped you .002 on my list of people who know how to use grammar correctly. :yes:

Last edited:
bstratt said:
Michael, you obviously have spent far too long in the sun!:D

Labrador, Newfoundland and Greenland are still in the dead of winter in March (as is Chicago LOL!). Snow/sleet can run into May although that is unusual (I was once salmon fishing in Nfld on June 8th in the middle of a blizzard - had to warm your hands up before you could change a fly). Once it starts to warm up you can get extensive fog banks/rain over areas affected by the Labrador current, and in that neck of the woods you have a loooong way to go to find an alternate. Fog and rain can continue into July. The real summer in that area is August/September, that's when you can usually count on VFR.

August it is then :) I wont argue with someone who knows better.

Michael said:
3-4 hours was their longest point over water. i figure with the mooney, 3 hours should be tops. I have about 5 hours worth of fuel available to me.
yes survival equip is required!

Regarding weight...I don't know specifics I'll use some general averages

900 pounds useful
- 360 pounds fuel
leaves 540 pounds available in the cabin for flight bag, people, cold water suits, raft, food, water, etc. After subtracting out 2 FAA standard people you are down to 200 pounds of available useful load. Last time I looked a two person raft suitable for warm water usage weighed something like 35 pounds.

Regarding fuel...how far are each of the alternates for each intended point of landing?

Not trying to be a kill joy...I think it would be a really neat flight and I've thought about what it would take to do it myself...though I tend to think Cougar (two engines, lots of fuel, big door, big cabin), I also tend to think about an Aztec for the mission.

Len

AirBaker said:
Roger!! - If I wasn't married...
Chris!!!!! You just got married. In fact, I think you are not yet elgible to make such a comment.

BTW: Starting within the hour after I got married I noticed all the hot and available women suddenly appearing from everywhere. Where the heck had they been before??? My only consolation was thinking that all those she-devils were in fact homewreckers who prey on weak married men.

Okay Michael now you've done it. My wife is going to hate you. I think I spent 6 months in my home office, planning, researching, double checking, etc. for my trip to Newfoundland.

August 2007? I better get started on the planning now!

Richard said:
Chris!!!!! You just got married. In fact, I think you are not yet elgible to make such a comment.

BTW: Starting within the hour after I got married I noticed all the hot and available women suddenly appearing from everywhere. Where the heck had they been before??? My only consolation was thinking that all those she-devils were in fact homewreckers who prey on weak married men.

As of October last year... I am no longer allowed to even think about making such a journey! :)

So don't try to convince me...

bstratt said:
Okay Michael now you've done it. My wife is going to hate you. I think I spent 6 months in my home office, planning, researching, double checking, etc. for my trip to Newfoundland.

August 2007? I better get started on the planning now!

Ok, Its a deal. If shes gotta hate someone it might as well be me. Great idea to start planning now. let me know what you come up with, and I'll just follow along :)
This could be big. How many planes do you think we could get to convoy across the pond?

Michael said:
Ok, Its a deal. If shes gotta hate someone it might as well be me. Great idea to start planning now. let me know what you come up with, and I'll just follow along :)
This could be big. How many planes do you think we could get to convoy across the pond?
Sounds like fun, I know, but I don't trust myself to execute a flight across open water in a POS single engine a/c. Once out of sight of land all SE become POS. Call it cold water submersion aversion.

However, it would be an awesome addition to your resume.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Sounds like fun, I know, but I don't trust myself to execute a flight across open water in a POS single engine a/c. Once out of sight of land all SE become POS. Call it cold water submersion aversion.

However, it would be an awesome addition to your resume.

so does that mean your not coming with?
I heard the dolphins up there are real friendly..nothing to worry bout.

Michael said:
so does that mean your not coming with?
I heard the dolphins up there are real friendly..nothing to worry bout.
Hell no! Put me down as two, wouldja'? I mean, riding that long in a teeny Mooney....I'm gonna' have to seriously lose some weight. Emaciated, even.

Can you imagine coming to the end of a long leg only to find your legs are alseep and throbbing from disuse? Say, I think you need to rethink that Bravo.:yes:

Maybe by then Elizabeth will have permenately moved to Italy because of a very lovely compelling reason. We could stay at her castle. Dibs on the turret.

No fair - lack of internet made me miss out on the offer. If you wind up with an open seat and about 280lbs of passenger available, I'll take it in a freaking heartbeat.

Back