Flight to Denver

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have a meeting in Denver coming up and was thinking about flying myslef there. I would be heading to the west form Chicago. I have the charts and have been working on the best course.

I took the AOPA mountain flying online class but I would like to know what else I might expect form getting near the Rockies?

BTW I am not looking for general flight planning questions or the ilk. But what types of hazards one encounters as the near the eastern edge of the mountain, problems with high alitude ops (yes I will have O2 with me), and simple stuff like do I really use full rich when taking off and landing?

Scott

As you mentioned you are just 'near' the mountains. So the hazards are less and mostly altitude related.

We do get some nasty winds, windshear and turbulence at times. If the jet stream is over Colorado and low it can be calm for the first 1000 feet or so and then you get beat up. The near surface wind can be from the east while at 8000 they are strong from the west. The closer you get the foothill the more terrain induces turbulence you'll find. Jeffco (BJC) is famous for nasty winds. But again only when the wind is blowing. We also get Chinook (Santa Ana, foehn) winds. These can be bad at the surface but smooth out as you climb.

This time of year the clouds usually have ice so IMC is not possible. Later it might be cold enough but now the freezing level is 7-9000 feet msl.

I always lean on take off in my normally aspirated Mooney. I trained in Piper's and was taught to lean on day one.

Main things are the reduced performance, higher TAS, and the other associated density altitude effects. That and watch the wx. Climb to 6000 when you leave and you'll be at pattern altitude when you get here.:)

There are no mountains between Chicago and Denver. You will have the same weather issues as anywhere.

However, you are right on to ask about leaning. This time of year your density altitude won't be much different from actual altitude, but that's over 5000 ft. Running full rich at this altitude will noticeably rob you of power, as your mixture will be much richer than at sea level. I used to do a full power runup and lean before takeoff. Now, with greater familiarity with my plane, I use fuel flow. You can also use EGT---if you're 150-200 degF rich of peak, you're in the region of best power. That would normally be around 1300 degF at full power.

Your first landings at high DA can be disconcerting because you will sense the higher GS that goes with your higher TAS. (Fly your normal IAS for approach and takeoff.)

Have a great trip!

DoubleD said:
There are no mountains between Chicago and Denver. You will have the same weather issues as anywhere.

Having 6500 MSL within about a thousand feet of the ground does take a little getting used to though. Remember that the area forecasts give cloud bases in MSL and what might look fabuluos over Iowa can be pretty tight in eastern CO. You'll also find that cities and airports tend to be a lot further apart out that way. And although they call Chicago the windy city, I've never been in central Nebraska when it wasn't a lot windier than I remember Chicago being.

I know you said no specifics, but I can't resist putting in a club for Front Range Airport if you're coming to Denver from the east. You'll avoid the mountains and all the airspace issues. It's cheap, equally distant from dowtnown as DIA, and they have excellent burritios in the GA terminal and Enterprise cars on site at good rates. Any time I've gone to Centennia or one of the other regional places, I;ve wished I had gone to FTG.

Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
I know you said no specifics, but I can't resist putting in a club for Front Range Airport if you're coming to Denver from the east. You'll avoid the mountains and all the airspace issues. It's cheap, equally distant from dowtnown as DIA, and they have excellent burritios in the GA terminal and Enterprise cars on site at good rates. Any time I've gone to Centennia or one of the other regional places, I;ve wished I had gone to FTG.

Jon

That is ok thanks for the input. I have not decided on what airport to use. It will depend on where the hotel is that we will be meeting in and where I can easily get a taxi from. I won't need a car as these meeting tend to run M-Th 8am to 9pm.

I'll keep Front Range in mind.

Scott

smigaldi said:
That is ok thanks for the input. I have not decided on what airport to use. It will depend on where the hotel is that we will be meeting in and where I can easily get a taxi from. I won't need a car as these meeting tend to run M-Th 8am to 9pm.

I'll keep Front Range in mind.

Hmmm, Aren't I having a deja vu experience with this thread? I posted an answer on the red board, so as you know I am based at Front Range and will recommend it as well. Eric and others pretty much summed it up well. If you want to hangar the plane FTG may be your only option. APA and BJC are more expensive alternatives. If you're going dowtown or the Tech Center, there is no reason ot go to BJC. APA is thte most convenient and FTG is out near DEN, so its aboout a 45 min drive to downtown.

4CornerFlyer said:

Jon

Which airport would you use if you were driving from there to Dillon? I've used Centennial (it was OK), and have considered Jeffco, but never went there. I'm flying a Baron so 5000 ft runways are the minimum at your altitude.

lancefisher said:
Which airport would you use if you were driving from there to Dillon? I've used Centennial (it was OK), and have considered Jeffco, but never went there. I'm flying a Baron so 5000 ft runways are the minimum at your altitude.

Lance, I'd probably use Jeffco, it's closer although the gas is the highest in the area right now. Plus coming from the NE you'll get down sooner. DEN is between you and APA. I heard guys begging for lower with little success until they are clear of DEN routes.

Eric

lancefisher said:
Which airport would you use if you were driving from there to Dillon?
I've never timed it but I think Dillon is a closer drive from BJC since it's already on the west side.

BJC is an OK place normally but right now they are rebuilding the A taxiway. The construction hassles are not insignificant. Project will be on until Nov.
Walt

Walt said:
BJC is an OK place normally but right now they are rebuilding the A taxiway. The construction hassles are not insignificant. Project will be on until Nov.
Walt

Thanks Walt, I forgot all about that. They do have a good web page with taxi diagrams. But it is torn up. Guess I'll find out on the 5th.

Back