Flight to an Offshore Volcano

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
A few days ago I had my last New Zealand flight before I move back to Canada. I certainly ended on a high note. I had a 3.4 hour flight from Ardmore airport near Auckland to White Island, an active volcano 27 nm off the east coast of New Zealand's North Island.

I made the flight solo in a Grumman AA1C. I was a bit nervous about the overwater portion and really couldn't get high enough to remain in gliding distance of land, so I nominated a SAR time 15 minutes in the future and just kept updating it. I also kept a close eye on the fishing boats. One thing I like about the Grumman is that you can slide back the canopy in flight, so there's no risk of being trapped in a ditching situation.

I shot a short video looking into the crater. It was shot at 500' and 100 knots. If you look closely, you can see my head scanning instruments and for traffic, though.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0415 view to front.JPG
    IMG_0415 view to front.JPG
    614.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0423 into crater.JPG
    IMG_0423 into crater.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 30
very cool chris, im on super slow computer for the weekend. will have to check out the video on monday.

Nice, I like the reflections off the glass that are often present in cockpit videos and PIX. It'd be fun to taxi a seaplane around there.

Back