Flight stream for the obsolete...

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
Since my MX20 is starting to get a little hinky, I had a thought. Not sure if it's a good one or not.

Noticed that eBay has an RS232 blutooth transceiver for like $50. Since my GX 50 is Capstone compliant and pre-dates Garmin's proprietary data stream, how difficult would it be to rig up a Flightstream like dealio that would send flight plan data from the GX via Bluetooth to a Nexus 7 running Avare mounted in a panel dock? Would make a nice touch-screen MFD with weather and traffic from ADS-B, for a fraction of the price of a replacement mfd, and I could keep my oldie but still goodie GX 50 usable for a bit longer.

Sound practical? I have no clue as to what goes on under the hood of Avare, except that it's the only open source efb. Would this be a major development project?

Are you a software engineer? If not, good luck. If you are, don't tell a soul cuz Garmin is gonna burn you at the stake if you do.

Are you a software engineer? If not, good luck. If you are, don't tell a soul cuz Garmin is gonna burn you at the stake if you do.

Either that, or they will be forced to hire you.

FS210 requires Garmin Connext software to talk with other devices. Panel devices require firmware version to communicate with the FS. With what your on panel being sold old, I think you're in for more challenges than you may realize. The Garmin firmware needs the ability to talk to FS, and where is that going to come from? Comm signal is one thing - the bits across the comm signal are another.

Back