Want To Buy Flight Simulator for my Home

PilotPetey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peter K.
New to this forum and to flying. Recently received my private license and would like to practice as much as possible when at home. Will eventually purchase a single engine plane (possibly new or within 5 years) but need hours and skills before such an investment. Willing to spend money on a decent simulator but would prefer to find a used one if possible. Also not a IT hardware wizard so not about to build my own. Need advice and also searching to see if any available for sale. Preference would be in SouthEast US region.

Are you wanting a desktop simulator or something you climb into?

I am looking for something that can help with increasing my comfort level with the instruments, yoke, rudder pedals and throttle. Lead a busy work life and airport is not close so spending money on rental hours instead is not an option. Not looking for a entry level (cheaply made or old) simulator, but willing to spend up 10K to secure a decent one that has been lightly used. Would prefer one with side monitors for more realistic visuals, and sitting in a position more like flying would be a bonus; but a really decent desktop (well under 10K) would be considered.

Also looking for any feedback on what simulators others found useful for training (single engine through instrument rated).

cockpit-1.jpg

http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/features-2/projection-display-solutions/icarus-180-avenger

Just got an email about this today. Not sure how much it cost, but you have to call to get the price. The frame part is under $600, so it seems it would be pretty reasonable to add the yoke, etc. All that there if you scroll down. And you can combine it with their virtual private pilot course for lessons to practice with. But I would spend the money toward flying like others have said.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/shop/virtual-cockpit-ultimate/

https://www.gleimaviation.com/cockpit/

https://www.gleimaviation.com/2018/...&utm_campaign=avnews20180202&utm_medium=email

Also looking for any feedback on what simulators others found useful for training (single engine through instrument rated).

I spent 13 hours in a Red Bird full motion ($70K) for my instrument. I learned more on my home set up and got more value out of flying the actual plane.

buy a high performance gaming computer in order to process the graphics (~$2k), then buy 3 big UHD monitors (~$1,500?), then buy the yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals hardware (~$1k?), then buy the x-plane simulator software ($100). There you go. A totally legit simulator setup for under $5k.

buy a high performance gaming computer in order to process the graphics (~$2k), then buy 3 big UHD monitors (~$1,500?), then buy the yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals hardware (~$1k?), then buy the x-plane simulator software ($100). There you go. A totally legit simulator setup for under $5k.
Or 40 hours or actual flying.

I'm not being a smart aleck. I have a simulator as described. I almost never use it. It's useful for a few things, but not to keep stick and rudder skills up to date.

In totally agree but this guy was asking about how to acquire a simulator.

I can see a simulator,if your practicing approaches,but to get comfortable with rudder,brakes and such ,there’s nothing like actually flying,a real aircraft.

I've been wondering the same thing as I begin to pursue my instrument rating. I used to be really big into Flight Sim (and I learned a lot from it), but that was over a decade ago. I still have my yoke and pedals; I'd just need a new PC and a copy of Prepar3d. Trying to decide if it's worth the coin to get a new PC (kinda need one anyway) to practice instrument flying, as well as trying some things I'd never want to attempt in a real plane.

I am looking for something that can help with increasing my comfort level with the instruments, yoke, rudder pedals and throttle. Lead a busy work life and airport is not close so spending money on rental hours instead is not an option. Not looking for a entry level (cheaply made or old) simulator, but willing to spend up 10K to secure a decent one that has been lightly used. Would prefer one with side monitors for more realistic visuals, and sitting in a position more like flying would be a bonus; but a really decent desktop (well under 10K) would be considered.

I'm a Sport Pilot student. I use X-Plane 11 with a Saitek yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant run off a Dell laptop onto a flat screen TV. I used it initially as a glorified 'chair flight' system; getting used to flying the pattern, setting RPMs, maintaining altitude, etc. It helped a ton.

I haven't tried things like stalls or slips so I can't tell you how accurate those are. I fly E/G airspace so I haven't played with the ATC functions.

I'm currently using it to pre-fly my checkride. It's at an airport I've never been to and I want to run the flight from different runways and try and get my climb-out, checkpoints and landmarks dialed in. The actual scenery is not likely to be correct but major roads and intermediate runways are (and I'm using several runways as landmarks). My hope is that this will make the actual checkride flight easier.

Total cost for the gear (I had the laptop so I'm not counting that) was around $500 with works out to 2 or 3 hours plane/CFI rental so I figure it's not a bad investment.

Downsides:
I fly a Skycatcher and there aren't many good models for the plane. I found one but the avionics package is different from my actual plane. It's good enough for what I'm doing but would drive me nuts if I wanted to learn the actual avionics. If you fly something more popular...not an issue.
Skycatcher has a stick/stoke rather than a yoke but I just use my left hand on the Saitek yoke. I had to define buttons and switches for things like flaps that are, in the 'Catcher, levers. No big deal for what I'm doing.
It is hard to keep the plane straight on the runway and landing is a b...ear...the visuals and feel are so very different from actual flying that I find those phases helpful but not a ton.
The TV screen res is not the best so some of the instruments are difficult to see. An actual big monitor would make a difference but not enough for me to spring for the cost.

I am looking for something that can help with increasing my comfort level with the instruments, yoke, rudder pedals and throttle.

that would be an airplane...

Hello PilotPetey, I work for a university flight program, and we are in the process of selling a Frasca DA-42-360 with G1000 avionics simulator. It is one that you climb inside and very realistic in the cockpit layout. I am happy to send you photos of the device and talk with you about the device if you are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 59
I have a saitek yoke, throttle body, radio/nav panel and switch panel I’d sell if interested. Way to start without going all 5 figures in.
I used it to fly Microsoft flight sim steam edition. Shoot approaches. Buttonology on 450/530w. Simulate some failures.
Was easier to trim then the Redbird I tried our IMO. Mind you my home set up is purely for study. Not loggable.

I found that a Saitek with a flight simulator on a PC is good for practicing instrument procedures. I found it actually hurt when doing primary training. It doesn’t have the feel a real airplane does and interferes with learning to land.

My experience has been different. When I was last taking lessons, my flight simulator helped me with departure stalls. Also, 2 years after my last lesson in a Skyhawk, I had a familiarization flight in a Evektor Sportstar. I actually landed the Evektor better than I had ever landed the Skyhawk. (Two years gap, low wing, vs. high wing, etc.) And, I was good at estimating altitude with the altimeter covered.

I had been flying my simulator between lessons, and the instructor observed that most sim-pilots spent two much time looking inside the cockpit, but I was good about looking outside the cockpit. He was also impressed I hadn't lost much after my last Skyhawk lesson.

I tried a Redbird simulator at Abundant Air at KRHV, and it was easier to fly than my simulator, and most pilots on here say that it's harder to fly a sim than a real plane.

I used to be scared of the ground approaching when landing, both in planes and simulating. Shooting many sim landings has gotten me over the ground fear, and my cross-wind landings are getting better.

Finally, electricity is a lot cheaper than Avgas!

Of course, YMMV

New to this forum and to flying. Recently received my private license and would like to practice as much as possible when at home. Will eventually purchase a single engine plane (possibly new or within 5 years) but need hours and skills before such an investment. Willing to spend money on a decent simulator but would prefer to find a used one if possible. Also not a IT hardware wizard so not about to build my own. Need advice and also searching to see if any available for sale. Preference would be in SouthEast US region.

Check this post out:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/saitek-cessna-pro-flight-simulator.117060/

However, from what I've read, the Saitek yoke has a severe detent at the yoke's neutral position. It is possible to open it up and remove the mechanism that causes the detent. I'd just recommend a CH Products yoke, or if you want to put some big bucks into your HW, you could get a Redbird Gold yoke, and matching rudder pedals. Amazon has both. You can save a few bucks going with a Saitek Throttle quadrant instead of the Redbird Gold throttle quadrant. The first has levers, the last has a vernier throttle; I don't think it makes that much difference.

I haven't had good luck getting joysticks to work with FSX:SE, and a yoke is a little closer to realistic.

With a $10k budget you can get a Precision Flight Controls Cirrus II console, Avionics stack and rudder pedals plus two networked computers. One for the outside view on a 4k tv and the other for the instrument panel. X-Plane 11 and Airplane Manager for the seperate instrument panel. Been using a setup like that with mostly used components. When flying is slow it keeps me on my toes. If you need any parts info let me know. The below setup is a mix of some older software simulating an interchangeable six pack and a G1000. Running on three computers. You should just stick with X-Plane 11 and Air Manager to keep things simple. X-Plane 11 has a pretty good G530/430 combo plus a G1000.78D0C943-D448-4723-B3FA-FE72E5FEA5E1.jpeg

if you want this to get used to the rudders and pedals, the only only real way is through flying. Any home simulator is just not going to have the feel of the airplane to it.

I have a Saitek yoke and pedals with Xplane 11 and find it very useful in trying to train my brain to deal with the many things you need to keep track of simultaneously. I also use a VR headset which gets rid of a lot of visibility problems associated with a simulator with a screen. If I wanted to get something simple and not build one I would go for the Redbird Jay. It comes with everything including yoke, throttle, computer, Prepar3D software and monitor. You would want to get the pedals from Redbird as well.
https://retail.redbirdflight.com/products/the-jay

X-Plane 11 now supports VR natively, so you don't need Fly Inside anymore. A Rift or Vive VR headset will be more immersive, but it will be more difficult to use hardware peripherals and you will need a real good video card for that. Multiple monitors instead of VR will allow you to use add-on hardware peripherals easily like rudder pedals, yoke and throttle. There are also fully functional hardware peripherals for the G1000 and G530, G430 etc., RealSimGear makes these hardware panels. But that's probably more of interest to someone getting an instrument rating. XPlane + basic peripherals is certainly good enough for you to practice those PPL requirements a flight sim is good at teaching:

1) Procedures for your PPL: That would be your engine start, runup, GUMPS, etc checklists. Plus the procedures for your Private pilot PTS practical test maneuvers. You can practice setting the maneuvers up, hitting the right RPM's and flap config. for your stalls etc.

2)Familiarization with the routes and airports (runway configurations, taxiways approach etc) for your cross countries. You can use Ortho4xp to build scenery tiles that contain very recent satellite photo scenery for the routes and airports you'll be using. You can pick up all your landmarks and see what the airports will look like on approach. Even after your PPL it's useful to fly a route in Xplane before visiting a new airport.

3) VOR navigation, the sim works just like the real thing.

4) If you're using an integrated flight app like Foreflight you can log your iPad onto your local network and tell Xplane to feed it GPS data so you can use it as you would when your flying. It will even run your app's AHRS.

5) Radio practice, get a PilotEdge subscription and you can practice your radio work with ATC controllers. This can relieve some of the anxiety some new pilots feel talking on the radio.

What is the sim not good for? Stick and rudder skills, which is probably 70% - 80% of what you need for your PPL. You'll have to spend a lot of money to get a sim that can teach this effectively, better just to fly as often as possible to pick this up.

Last edited:
This is the one I built. A DIY desktop with 8G graphic card and SSD, three screens, saitek TPM, Autopilot, multi panel, radio panel, Yoke, rudder, FSX flight connected with my ForeFlight that gives me real flight updates. I can practice any IFR approach real time through tracking along ForeFlight. Total setup without IPad costs less than $4k.

Attachments

• AABE46C5-906B-4DDC-B3CC-49FB6CE69F87.jpeg
    AABE46C5-906B-4DDC-B3CC-49FB6CE69F87.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 72
This is the one I built. A DIY desktop with 8G graphic card and SSD, three screens, saitek TPM, Autopilot, multi panel, radio panel, Yoke, rudder, FSX flight connected with my ForeFlight that gives me real flight updates. I can practice any IFR approach real time through tracking along ForeFlight. Total setup without IPad costs less than $4k.
Request materials, sources, specs, please. TN-Al

Back