Flight Simulator and "Real" Aviation

BruceAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BruceAir
Check out Jay Hopkins' column in the June 2005 issue of Flying magazine. It's about how pilots of various background and experience use Microsoft Flight Simulator (and X-Plane, etc.) to complement their "real" flying and training.

I wonder how many PoA regulars have similar experiences to report.

It's a subject close to my heart, and, of course, I'm not an impartial observer (see my Flight Simulator links page) given my long association with the product (n.b., Hopkins described my role incorrectly in his column and didn't check with me, but that's a minor complaint).

I don't have the article, but here's something that doesn't come immediately to mind when thinking about flight sims. I find it helpful, so I thought I'd throw it in for what it's worth.

MSFS is good for becoming familiar with an airport. When I knew I would start training out of Baton Rouge I just cranked up MSFS and drove around on the ground for awhile learning the taxi ways and runway layout.

First day out I knew I could get from here to there without a lot of ???'s, getting in someone's way, or just generally making the life of the controllers and other traffic worse for me being there.

Hmm - I don't think my buddy's site, one of the first flightsim sites, is on your list: www.flightsim.com

Edit: Oops - my bad - it is there...

Last edited:
It is, via the link to the FlightSim Network, and it's in my collection of links, which you can download via the link at the top of the page. It's also on the Community link on the official home page, which is also referenced on my page.

I have been using MSFS a long time (started when it ran on DOS) and I have found one thing to be true. You only get out of it what you put into it. If you use it as a toy it will not teach you hard IFR skills. However, if you use it with an old set of low enroute/charts and practice your approaches, holding patterns, etc there is a lot that can be learned. I'm not IFR rated but I like to think I am on the game. I put the mins down to 3-400 feet off the ground and see how good of an approach I can make. I think on average I use it about 2-3 hours per month.

>...practice your approaches,...

Is there a way to make approaches without having the IAP's? I snooted around in there a little bit, but didn't see any approach plates in MSFS.

Just go to the AOPA website and download the IAP's for whichever airport you want.

Flight Simulator contains a database of airports and navaids. Just as in the real world, if you pull out an approach plate, set the airplane's position, and tune the radios, you can fly an approach (except for RNAV approaches defined by waypoints in a database, approaches in the real world and in Flight Simulator are just descriptions of where to fly when receiving signals from the ground).

I have created several IFR Practice Flights that put you in an aircraft in various places, ready to practice holds, approaches, DME arcs, and the like. You can find these Flights and background information about how to use them on my Web site.

My Web site includes links to several sources of charts, many available free online, and if you read the information on my Flight Simulator page, you'll find links to lots of information to help you answer specific questions.

Wel Bruce i have MSFS 98/2002/2004, and Xplanes and use them alot, mostly Xplanes now Dave G.

Checkout vatsim.net. There is a free plug in that allows for ATC simmers to control you in MSFS. They have strict ATC training, and sim ATC equipment. You also hear the other pilots on frequency, it's amazing how dedicated these people are to the hobby.

I got bored flying the same old practive IFR sessions where I always knew exactly what was going to happen next. It's really a great thing for proficiency to mix it up with ATC. Some nights the ATC and other pilots sound exactly like the real thing. Other nights you get student ATC, which increases workload, but that can be a good thing for practice.

A little geeky, sure.. but fun!

ErikU said:
Checkout vatsim.net. There is a free plug in that allows for ATC simmers to control you in MSFS. They have strict ATC training, and sim ATC equipment. You also hear the other pilots on frequency, it's amazing how dedicated these people are to the hobby.

I got bored flying the same old practive IFR sessions where I always knew exactly what was going to happen next. It's really a great thing for proficiency to mix it up with ATC. Some nights the ATC and other pilots sound exactly like the real thing. Other nights you get student ATC, which increases workload, but that can be a good thing for practice.

A little geeky, sure.. but fun!

I have to second this suggestion - Squawkbox 3 just came out - and it's hands down the best way to experience flight simulator. If you mention in your flight plan that you want to practice approaches using IAP, ATC will be more than happy to oblige - they seem to prefer to talk to pilots that actually know the system.

One warning - there are a LOT of people who don't really know what they're doing, so expect some weird, weird, weird radio calls at times.

Back