Flight service vs. flight following

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
At the end of August I'll be taking my biggest cross country flight yet. I'll be flying from KCHD (Chandler, AZ) to KPVU (Provo, UT). I intend to use flight following for the trip. My question is can the controllers on flight following help me out with weather questions like flight service? Basically, if I am on flight following, but have some concerns about weather coming up, can I ask flight following for help, or should I ask flight service? And then, if I am on flight following, how do I jump over to the other frequency to ask flight service for help?

Yes you can and ATC should advise you of weather along your route without asking. As far as talking to Flight service while on FF, either broadcast over Com 2 or if you only have one Com just ask for a quick freq change and if the airspace isn't too busy ATC should gladly approve it. Have fun on your XC!

Try to do your own homework on weather, obviously, but there's no harm in asking ATC for additional info. Sometimes they'll tell you they don't know and other times they may just be too busy with other tasks to help, but they always seem willing to assist when possible.

..."if you only have one Com.."

Not limited to that situation. No matter how many radios you have you can always tell Center that you want to leave the frequency to check the weather. One of two things will happen: The Center controller will give you the information you need or "Frequency change approved, report back on this frequency."

If you are nearing a sector or Center boundary you might hear "Frequency change approved, report back on xxx.xxx (sector change)" or "...approved, report back on to Podunk Center, xxx.xxx."

Bob Gardner

..."if you only have one Com.."

Not limited to that situation. No matter how many radios you have you can always tell Center that you want to leave the frequency to check the weather. One of two things will happen: The Center controller will give you the information you need or "Frequency change approved, report back on this frequency."

If you are nearing a sector or Center boundary you might hear "Frequency change approved, report back on xxx.xxx (sector change)" or "...approved, report back on to Podunk Center, xxx.xxx."

Bob Gardner
Thats true, good point Bob!

ATC can give you weather, but it's not their primary function. If it's quiet, go ahead and ask. There is a small chance they might say no ('cause perhaps there is a lot of traffic on a different frequency). If you can't get a word in edgewise, use FSS.

Even with two radios, it's better to just ask ATC for leave to go to FSS if you want to do that. It's one thing to monitor an ATIS or something at the same time as you're keeping an ear out for information, it's another to be trying to have a two way conversation with the other guy.

Asking ATC for weather information is with various degrees of difficulty. They oft will have metar for local airports already displayed on their scope, and they can see radar in their sector. Just about anything else is likely no easier for them to get you than it would be for you to get it yourself.

After seeing how they operate at a TRACON tour...ATC can easily pull up the ATIS of other airports and give you those conditions if they are not slammed on frequency. For more in depth info head over to FSS.

ATC can give you weather, but it's not their primary function. If it's quiet, go ahead and ask. There is a small chance they might say no ('cause perhaps there is a lot of traffic on a different frequency). If you can't get a word in edgewise, use FSS.

The last time I visited Seattle Center (which has been a while, admittedly) there was a whiteboard with the weather at regional airports suspended from the ceiling and visible from all operating positions. Kind of a waste of money if they do not intend to use the information.

Bob

The last time I visited Seattle Center (which has been a while, admittedly) there was a whiteboard with the weather at regional airports suspended from the ceiling and visible from all operating positions. Kind of a waste of money if they do not intend to use the information.

Bob

It's all available on their radar display. No whiteboards, no writing backwards with a grease pencil on a glass window, no shrimpboats...

At the end of August I'll be taking my biggest cross country flight yet. I'll be flying from KCHD (Chandler, AZ) to KPVU (Provo, UT). I intend to use flight following for the trip. My question is can the controllers on flight following help me out with weather questions like flight service? Basically, if I am on flight following, but have some concerns about weather coming up, can I ask flight following for help, or should I ask flight service? And then, if I am on flight following, how do I jump over to the other frequency to ask flight service for help?

All of the above. What's your planned route and altitude? I'm just curious, it doesn't change any of the above advice. There's likely a chance you won't get "continuous" flight following with the Center. You may be out of Radar coverage from time to time.

What's bringing you to happy valley?
My sister in law is getting married in Salt Lake. We have family in American fork and will be visiting with them as well.

All of the above. What's your planned route and altitude? I'm just curious, it doesn't change any of the above advice. There's likely a chance you won't get "continuous" flight following with the Center. You may be out of Radar coverage from time to time.

The basic flight path is to cross the canyon at the TUCKUP corridor and the head over to the I-15 and transition cedar city then follow the interstate all the way north. I've made the flight to cedar city and had flight following the whole way. I flew at 10,500 and 11,500 last time and that seemed to work out well.

Back