Flight service survey?!?!?

rocketflyer84

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
RocketFlyer84
Called flight service (WX Brief) this morning and was bombarded with a survey that you're forced to complete before they play the normal menu and let you push a number to get to a human. What kind of nonsense is this? Anyone else getting this?

Asking me to do a voluntary survey when I done or something is fine, but when we call sometimes we're trying to get a message to someone fast (i.e. just landed at an uncontrolled airport when IFR). Someone didn't think this through.

Last edited:
Yea I got it. It took a matter of 15 seconds to complete, so I didn't mind and I haven't gotten it since.

Yea I got it. It took a matter of 15 seconds to complete, so I didn't mind and I haven't gotten it since.
Tell that to the guy stuck in a hold in bumpy IMC with anxious passengers who can't get released for an approach because someone decided it's more important for me to take a survey. ;)

Last edited:
He means that he has to call and cancel before the guy holding can get cleared for an approach.

Dang, that sure does sound like a major screw-up.
If you report it via the proper channels, I would be curious to know the outcome. Just don't try to report it via 1-800-WXBRIEF. :)

Called flight service (WX Brief) this morning and was bombarded with a survey that you're forced to complete before they play the normal menu and let you push a number to get to a human.

Agreed. It was unwelcome the last quick flight I made where a VFR flight plan had to be filed to satisfy the FAA on a ferry flight. All I needed to do is activate the plan on the ground before takeoff (total flight time was going to be 15 minutes). So I rolled up to the taxi hold short after finishing with clearance delivery and made the phone call expecting to activate quickly with no weather briefing. I had to pull around into the ramp area as I had to wait to get to a briefer at that point.

Agreed. It was unwelcome the last quick flight I made where a VFR flight plan had to be filed to satisfy the FAA on a ferry flight. All I needed to do is activate the plan on the ground before takeoff (total flight time was going to be 15 minutes). So I rolled up to the taxi hold short after finishing with clearance delivery and made the phone call expecting to activate quickly with no weather briefing. I had to pull around into the ramp area as I had to wait to get to a briefer at that point.

Try out the LockMart text message service. Just don't subscribe to alerts or they are going to slam you with them.

I did that recently for a CAP ferry -- 70 miles, so CAP requires a VFR flight plan. Activated it in the run-up area in 10 seconds, then closed it right after shutdown in another 10 seconds. Pretty impressive, really. And yes, it does confirm you really did close it....no phone call surprises in 30 minutes.

You have to file your flight plan with 1800wxbrief to get the service. It will NOT work with Foreflight. But it's worth it IMO.

Doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me.

Back