Flight separation chart

JoeDeBoer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JoeDeboer
Where might find a flight separation chart? FAR/AIM ? Online? I know it's west is 3500ft AGL and east is 4500ft AGL right? But is there a chart? Thanks!

Where might find a flight separation chart? FAR/AIM ? Online? I know it's west is 3500ft AGL and east is 4500ft AGL right? But is there a chart? Thanks!

It's not a chart and it's not two specific altitudes.....for magnetic course VFR flights, even + 500 going west, odd + 500 going east.

14 CFR 91.159

Since nobody else mentioned it, I'll note that those cruise altitudes are MSL, not AGL, though they are really only required when you're above 3000' AGL.

It sounds trivial, but I trained in Atlanta which is right about 1000' MSL on the surface. So, if you were truly flying east at 3500' AGL you'd be at 4500' MSL and running right into traffic properly flying west at that altitude. Along those same lines, even if you were flying east at 3500' MSL you would still want to keep your eyes open because since you're not quite 3000' AGL yet traffic may be going in all directions around you.

Since nobody else mentioned it, I'll note that those cruise altitudes are MSL, not AGL, though they are really only required when you're above 3000' AGL.

It sounds trivial, but I trained in Atlanta which is right about 1000' MSL on the surface. So, if you were truly flying east at 3500' AGL you'd be at 4500' MSL and running right into traffic properly flying west at that altitude. Along those same lines, even if you were flying east at 3500' MSL you would still want to keep your eyes open because since you're not quite 3000' AGL yet traffic may be going in all directions around you.

And more importantly, if you're flying along at a course of 181, someone may be coming at you at 359, at the same altitude. That's very close to head-on.

Excellent point!

Back