rene86mx

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rene86mx
Hi,

I'm about to move to San Jose.
Getting my PPL has been one of my biggest dreams since I began playing FS95

Can someone recommend a flight school I can do a discovery flight in a couple of weeks when I go house hunting?

:yes:

Nice Air is a great operation. I haven't used them for training, but their service as an FBO has been exceptional, so I would imagine their training would be good as well. They have great customer service skills.

There are at least four flight schools at KRHV, both part 141 and part 61 (and some of them offer both). Your experience is determined much more by your instructor than the school -- and they share more instructors than you might think. And it's quite personal. I'd suggest walking into each of them and seeing how you like their "vibe." Most of them are in a cluster on Fowler Wy. AFAIK, they all have websites as well.

I fly with Squadron 2 these days, but there bigger and more well known outfits on the field. Personally, I like working with an outfit that has mechanics onsite (as sometimes a problem can be dealt with FAST), but it's not rigorously necessary to learn to fly.

My experience with Nice Air was rather different from John's (I don't think I've been ignored so completely anywhere else), and they are strictly a part 141 school, clearly catering to the Asian market with an obvious emphasis on accelerated training. Not my thing, but YMMV.

A lot depends on goals. If you want to do tailwheels, for instance, there really is only one choice on the field -- Aero Dynamic. If you want high performance or anything that's not a Cessna, Citabria, or LSA, they don't work for that.

Last edited:
Back