Flight school to Take PPL in tailwheel?

N92TX

Filing Flight Plan
USA, near a Refinery or chemical plant for work
Display Name

Display name:
SLindstedt
I am looking for flight training in tailwheel aircraft. I want to obtain my TW endorsement while completing my PPL training. I am open to just about anywhere in the country, but looking for the "most" affordable planes/cfi to complete training. I have found a less expensive option in MT, they just don't have tailwheel aircraft. Anybody mind sharing prices in their area?

Around the 200 mark in KBRD. Is a Citabria. I believe there is an option in KFAR for around 230, IIRC.

jallen0, I had found Blueridgesportflight when I was looking at a Sport license, May hit them up to see what there cost is for the PPL without the lodging. I travel the country for work and stay in my 5th wheel "home", so I will take my house with me to wherever I get my license. Thanks for the info.

As another note, I have found a place in MT that is $132 instruction+plane(wet) and $93 solo plane (wet) in either PA28-140 or C172M You have to join their "aviator club" to get that rate. $250 to join and $60 a month, but I plan to complete this in less than a month. Figure I can get it done for less than $7K including tests,check ride,etc and an RV park to call home for a few weeks. And as a plus I have family in that neck of the woods!

Gee Rusty, I Didn't say anything about "whacking it out". I would actually like to do the majority of my PPL training in a tailwheel if possible, I have been led to believe TW training makes you a better pilot, more of a "stick and rudder" trained pilot. I know the majority of schools do not have TW aircraft for training, one reason being insurance, and well as you said "bad things can happen".

I really applaud you for researching it out and figuring that out. If you go onto fly anything you will be a better pilot for learning in a TW, and underpowered is even better... most are...

I did it how most do in a 150 and 172, joined a club w 180hp 172 once i had my ticket, i bought a cessna 140 a little over a year ago, ive learned things i never would have in the club plane. I truly regret not having done it like you did it.

I also think tailwheel will come quicker for you than those of us that few tricycles only for years...you will learn it as all you know so you wont have the bad habits, or more accurately the lack of good habits, we got from the nose-wheel. Learning TW first, Your first time in a tricycle you will be shocked how simple it is...

Oh, Rusty, Thank you very much for the link too! I got a place to park my RV just 17 Miles from that field! looks like wet prices of $110hr dual for TW and $130 dual for the 172's. And you just know the weather should be very cooperative!

I am looking for flight training in tailwheel aircraft. I want to obtain my TW endorsement while completing my PPL training. I am open to just about anywhere in the country, but looking for the "most" affordable planes/cfi to complete training. I have found a less expensive option in MT, they just don't have tailwheel aircraft. Anybody mind sharing prices in their area?

Title of the thread says that you want to do your primary training in the tailwheel airplane but the body of your post says you want to obtain your endorsement after completing primary training. So which is it? If you wait till after, you're going to find a lot more options and a lot more options that are close to you. I was looking for something else and a flight school in the San Diego area popped up as a paid Google ad. They have a Champ for $65 an hour wet. I called them to ask if they would do primary training in it and they would have to check with one of the instructors that was not on site at the time. But that's a crazy low price and I verified that it was correct.

http://www.firstflightcorp.com/

I have been led to believe TW training makes you a better pilot,
Obviously, you ain't never flew with me. :)

Based on my experience and observations (I ain't no flight instructor), starting out in a tailwheel from hour 0 is not much of a big deal (that's what I did, Cessna 120), transitioning to a nosewheel is trivial except for those flap things. They complicate stuff. (I got signed off to fly a Cherokee with about one hour of dual (but that was back in the old days).) Starting out with tricycle gear and then transitioning to a tailwheel appears to take some effort - some unlearning perhaps. So if you want to fly tailwheels eventually, what would make sense to me would to at least do your pre-solo work in a tailwheel airplane. If the instructor needs to transition you to a nosewheel for insurance purposes for solo flight - not a big deal. You won't have any trouble going back and forth.

You won't have any trouble going back and forth.

Truth!

I kept my club share after getting my c140 so I had a 4 seat available... no troubles going back and forth besides sometimes planting the mains a bit firm when going back to the 140 as it sits higher after flying the 172 a bit, and forgetting to pack a lunch when I go to the 172 so I have something to do once the mains are planted! Lol

But he is right going back n forth won’t be a big deal- it’ll make u better

Title of the thread says that you want to do your primary training in the tailwheel airplane but the body of your post says you want to obtain your endorsement after completing primary training. So which is it?
I would like to start my training in a tail dragger, even complete it if I can in a tail dragger. As many things these days, Cost may require a tri gear for my ticket, then add on the TW endorsement later. I too will be talking to Firstflightcorp, its a little bit of a drive from Texas area, but hey there are a number of RV parks near there.

Starting out with tricycle gear and then transitioning to a tailwheel appears to take some effort - some unlearning perhaps. So if you want to fly tailwheels eventually, what would make sense to me would to at least do your pre-solo work in a tailwheel airplane. If the instructor needs to transition you to a nosewheel for insurance purposes for solo flight - not a big deal.

This is what I was thinking. I have a friend that years ago started with a cub, and soloed in a C172...if I recall. It was a tri gear Cessna at any rate. He agreed, tail dragger to start atleast first 10-15 hours.

A lot depends on the instructor. I've trained guys in nosewheel but with tailwheel in mind with less issue than it might seem by some of the previous posts. It's not rocket science, but a lot of rookie instructors give bad habits no matter what airplane they are using.

Suggestion: Find a flight school that has SEVERAL tail wheel airplanes (and skilled TW instructors) — not a school with just one that rarely flys. Good on you to get your PPL in the right kind of airplane!

Back