Flight School Recommendations in Florida Requested!

K

KennyFlys

I have a couple individuals I met with who are in Austin on business. They flew with me for a couple hours as a discovery ride and have asked for a flight school recommendation in...

Pensacola

Panama Beach

Orlando

I told them there limited choices but we'd try. :)

Thanks for the help!

Would this person be getting a certificate for their own use, or are they planning to become a professional pilot?

Personal use, I can't recommend any flight school more highly than Air Orlando. The planes are a little pricey, but they're worth it.

Sowell Aviation in Panama City Beach (KPFN) is a good spot to look at. Don Sowell has been running it since his father left it to him. His dad was a pilot in WWII, and started the business right after. Been there a long time.

Ken & Keith, Thanks a lot!

Yes, the training would be for personal use and recreation.

Sowell Aviation has been sold for a few years now. ATP has a flight school in the same spot now.

Sowell Aviation has been sold for a few years now. ATP has a flight school in the same spot now.
Ouch, ATP is the last place I want to send this guy. Thanks for telling us, Tristan.

Personal use, I can't recommend any flight school more highly than Air Orlando. The planes are a little pricey, but they're worth it.

I have a friend who lives in Chicago and goes there (Air Orlando) for training. She did one heckuva lot of research and phone-calling. Loves it there.

Fixed that for ya.
I'm not that familiar with Embry Riddle's training other than the entire school is rather expensive and generally well-regarded. I am familiar with ATP's status as a ticket mill and have come across two separate instructors who required substantial retraining by a school that later hired them. I work with another instructor who went to ATP in Dallas for just his multiengine and MEI. It leaved a lot to be desired as far as he was concerned.

Hubby and I went to Daytona Beach for a month of flight training at Phoenix East. Cannot say I'd recommend them to anyone. http://www.pea.com/

BTW, summertime is a poor choice for Daytona. Thunderstorms every afternoon.

That's basic Florida weather. Flying in the morning and evening are fine. And actually, dealing with the t-storm issue from the get-go makes it easier to make the weather-related go/no-go calls later in your career, IMO. At least, it has done so for me.

Hubby and I went to Daytona Beach for a month of flight training at Phoenix East. Cannot say I'd recommend them to anyone. http://www.pea.com/

That's basic Florida weather. Flying in the morning and evening are fine. And actually, dealing with the t-storm issue from the get-go makes it easier to make the weather-related go/no-go calls later in your career, IMO. At least, it has done so for me.
Depends on which coast you are on. West coast had a lot more late night rain and thunderstorms than the east coast. i also have experienced the entire east coast socked in with massive thunderstorms with CAVU along the west coast. That is the winter effect with the colder Gulf waters I think.

Flying in Florida most assuredly got me into another mode when being around thunderstorms. I would often fly with them in the area, they were very predictable and localized. In the MidWest I almost will never go up if they are in the area as they tend to be massive and over a much wider area.

Back