Flight school options in the DFW area

Leachman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Leachman
Hi all- Super new, 1st post here, and pretty new to forums a well. In a nutshell: 43 yrs of age, been a business owner for 15 yrs, time to scratch the lifelong itch and make the career change. 20 yrs ago after graduating college had my hopes for a military pilot career were shot down due to lasik eye surgery, I am ok with going the commercial route now. We are moving from Colorado to the DFW area very soon (hopefully within 2-3 months). Have the option to live anywhere but would like to base the geographical location around the flight school of choice since I plan to attack this full time (would prefer just NW or W of Ft worth if possible). Plan to live off savings (and conservatively) during flight school and CFI/hour building time. Fortunate enough to be able to do so at this time.

Anyone have any experience with, or recommendations for flight schools in this area? I have been researching a few and doing some homework but I have learned to always learn from those that have gone ahead of you, so I would love to hear and learn from you guys who have the experience that I lack. Thank you!

Daniel

Howdy From Denton!!!!

There are many to choose from that can accomplish your goals. And they are located all over the DFW area. And some of the answers are going to depend on if you want to pursue this as Part 141 or Part 61, and what your long term desired result is.

While I do understand your desire to select a geographical location to live based on proximity to the flight school, do know that some of the more active Part 141 schools are in places where house costs and apartment rents are on the rise and can be pretty steep. So you might need to compromise and accept a reasonable commute. Added details we will need to know is if you and your partner are planning to purchase a home, rent a home, or rent an apartment.

Rather than take up a lot of space here, let me invite you to link with me and a few others next time you are visiting the area. This way several of us can answer your questions (or confuse the [bleep] out of you) all at once. I'll send you my details by private message. Then you can tell me who you have been looking at and we can fill in the details.

Last edited:
Hi AggieMike88- As far as part 141/61, I am not dead set yet. I do not want to go to a pilot factory where all they care about is your $, and then more of your $, where they post minimum fees that are not realistic. I have read some pretty scary stories out there. That being said, I do not want to sacrifice good quality for taking for ever to achieve my goals from a real slow operation either, and I know weather plays a big part in time. As I mentioned, I am able and fully intend to take this on full-time un-distracted. My goal is to fly commercially as a new career but with a family (married with children), I need to consider the most expedient (almost hate to say that) route so to speak (In that I can't live off of savings forever) but I don't want any short cuts or safety and quality compromise and I am willing to work and do whatever it takes. I am dedicated, good at studying and don't mind it since I love learning new things. As far as lodging, we are ether going to buy or rent a home so the school-type lodging is not an issue for me. Hopefully I will be there within a month for a "scouting" trip...would love to link up and chat more. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

For your initial stuff, look at Fox Aviation in Justin, TX (talk to Tamara Griffith). She is a well respected Part 61 instructor who offers a very fair package deal for your private.

I also have a connection or three to some CFI's at KDTO, including one newly minted one who might be ready for a student when he gets tired of messing with the Richardson PD and high end fishing tackle he manufactures. (*cough* @JCranford *cough*) I have plans to add my name to this list, hopefully by Thanksgiving.

KDTO is a good airport. Not buried in the DFW Bravo, quick access to the practice area, close to some other airports for pattern work, In The Pattern who offers aircraft rental for reasonable, a few clubs, and lots of good to know aviators.

If you chose to live and train on "the west side", check into the City of Argyle. Housing and living costs are reasonable, and if you're bring a kidlet with you, has one of the better school systems.

Regarding long term goals, there are a few operations in the DFW area who will hire pilots once they achieve 500 hours. So your initial plan might be Private Pilot, fly for fun for a bit to build up experience and the required XC time, Instrument Airplane, and then fly some more for fun and experience to get close to 250 hours. During that time you'll work on checking the flight experience boxes of the Commercial Pilot certificate. Once those are checked and 250 hours is pending, study and train for the Commercial Pilot.

Passing 250 hours, the opportunity to get paid for flying and not be a CFI does exist, but aren't plentiful. Fortunate the demand for CFI's in the DFW area remains strong, so once you have those credentials, you just need to find the right school that fits your personality the best. As a CFI, most schools are stating the opportunity to fly 100-120 hours per month... and pay you for that time. Many of these schools also offer perks that include additional ratings (such as Multi-Engine and CFI-I) at a reduced cost. Now you have a method to earn your next 500-750 hours quickly, and get paid for it.

Once you obtain 800 to 1000 hours, have lots of IFR time, some Multi-Engine time, and a few other requirements, you become very marketable to some of the 135 operations such as Ameriflight. Alternatively, you can remain a CFI and work your way up the school's ladder to do more than just primary students.

Once you peg 1500 hours, Envoy (aka American Eagle) and many of the other regionals become a possible choice. Envoy is definitely actively recruiting. This year to date, 5 pilot acquaintances were offered FO positions, including one who is in his mid 50's.

So, yeah, there is lots of opportunity out there.... And it sounds like you got the right attitude to figure out the first steps toward the successful end.....

Last edited:
Speaking of those first steps, one thing you can be doing know is starting off with the "general study" for your Private Pilot Knowledge exam (aka "the written").

Search www.faa.gov for the PDF's of the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (also known as the Pee-hack) and the Airplane Flying Handbook. Both of these will be the primary texts for both our private pilot certificate and others to come. So starting to read those now is a good thing.

Also search the iOS App Store or Google Play Store for the FAR/AIM app from ASA2Fly.com. You always are going to need a copy of the Federal Air Regulations / Airman Information Manual to refer to. Having it as an always up to date electronic version is much MUCH handier than the the paper version (and significantly less weight too).

GetImage.ashx

You can also investigate ground school solutions such as Gold Seal (https://www.faa-ground-school.com), King Schools, Gleim, www.ASA2Fly.com, Sporty's and others. But it's often advised to hold off making a purchase for this until you determine which school and instructor you will use. Many times they have a preferred system and it would save money not to guess wrong when purchasing one system only to be required to purchase a different one.

Gold Seal has an extensive instructor database with full contact info. You do have to sign up to get to it (to keep the bots out), but that only takes a few seconds and is free. Once you're logged in, click the "Find a CFI" menu item and select Texas as the state. You'll get a huge list sorted by city name.

Gold Seal has an extensive instructor database with full contact info. You do have to sign up to get to it (to keep the bots out), but that only takes a few seconds and is free. Once you're logged in, click the "Find a CFI" menu item and select Texas as the state. You'll get a huge list sorted by city name.
How well kept is your info in regards to the instructor actively accepting students?

I like the idea for sure. And happy to hear you have this resource.

But I tried an FAA search back when I got started in 2009 and over 90% of the CFI’s listed in my search results were either not current, had moved on to 121 jobs, or had no more interest in teaching. Frustrating to no end.

If your system is better at separating the sheet from the chaff, that would be something to add to my resource list.

How well kept is your info in regards to the instructor actively accepting students?

I like the idea for sure. And happy to hear you have this resource.

We do try to maintain its currency as best we can. We do occasional email sweeps asking if instructors are still active and have current data. There are roughly 1500 instructors listed. A lot are active using Gold Seal. They show up with a little "crowd silhouette" icon next to their names.

You should log in and poke around in there a bit.

If you chose to live and train on "the west side", check into the City of Argyle. Housing and living costs are reasonable, and if you're bring a kidlet with you, has one of the better school systems.

>>Hi Mike. Did you mean Aledo for the west side? For the kids I have heard positive things about the school systems in both Argyle and Aledo...Argyle seems more north and Aledo west...just double checking your reference. Also there is a school called Nationwide Aviation in Hudson Oaks, just east of Weatherford who uses the Parker County airport pretty close to Aledo. Also looked at Marcair who uses the Alliance airport northern ft worth. Copy on the reference for Fox aviation in Justin.
Daniel

>>Hi Mike. Did you mean Aledo for the west side? For the kids I have heard positive things about the school systems in both Argyle and Aledo...Argyle seems more north and Aledo west...just double checking your reference. Also there is a school called Nationwide Aviation in Hudson Oaks, just east of Weatherford who uses the Parker County airport pretty close to Aledo. Also looked at Marcair who uses the Alliance airport northern ft worth. Copy on the reference for Fox aviation in Justin.
Daniel
Aledo can be part of "the west side". But I was referring the the general concept of anything along I-35W and westward. I have no specific info for Aledo.

Marcair.... get references from other pilots..... When they were at 52F, they were a good outfit. But after their move to KAFW, I've been hearing hit and miss stories.

No data on Nationwide, this is the first I have heard of them.

Also look at Huffman Aviation (Jake Huffman) at KFWS, Fort Worth Spinks airport. I know a few pilots who have lots of good things to say about Jake and his crew.

One comment about your journey.... Keep in mind that nothing requires you to stay with a single school from start to airline right seat. While there are a one or two perks with different schools for doing that (such as the Cadet programs), going from place to place to find the best instructors for you and your way of learning also works. In some professions, such as being a lawyer, attending Harvard or another top school could make a difference career out come. But in aviation, rarely does someone apply preferential treatment because you went to "OverpricedFlightSchool.com" versus "PodunkPart61.net".

So researching these different schools is a good start, but finding the right guy/gal who really has a passion and talent for teaching aviation and meshes will with your style of learning is the more valuable win.

Back