flight School Auction

Jr Hampton

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jr Hampton
Anyone ever attend a sale off of a flight school ? Curious to see what planes go for..

Anyone ever attend a sale off of a flight school ? Curious to see what planes go for..

Might make for a good deal, might not. Often times public auctions get stupid, especially seizure auctions.

A friend of mine bought a '99 172, an Arrow and a 150 all for the price of the Arrow. Took some feery permits to pick up the planes but it was a good deal overall.

If the aircraft have been seized,they probably haven't been maintained. Since the FBO had an idea it was coming. You have to know what your looking at.

If the aircraft have been seized,they probably haven't been maintained. Since the FBO had an idea it was coming. You have to know what your looking at.

As a person who has worked for a seizure custodian for a major government contractor in aircraft and maritime equipment for the government as well a bank repos, I would never by an expensive piece of equipment from a seizure auction except as salvage. They see the absolute minimum of care and sit a minimum of a year before release for auction, sometimes it's half a decade or more depending on the court history.

This is most likely not a seizure auction though.

Last edited:
As a person who has worked for a seizure custodian for a major government contractor in aircraft and maritime equipment for the government as well a bank repos, I would never by an expensive piece of equipment from a seizure auction except as salvage. They see the absolute minimum of care and sit a minimum of a year before release for auction, sometimes it's half a decade or more depending on the court history.

This is most likely not a seizure auction though.

DAM! you are the person with the most interesting jobs in the whole internet.

Might make for a good deal, might not. Often times public auctions get stupid, especially seizure auctions.

Ain't that the truth.....

Many years ago I bought a C-402 that was a government seizure. No logbooks for the airframe, but someone was building back possibly for logbooks. It had two newly overhauled engines and two new props that all came with new logbooks.

It had also been painted recently. It had no passenger seats just pilot/copilot seats, no radios but all flight instruments.

I bought it, sold both engines and props, sold some of the other parts, then the rest went to scrap.

It was a pretty sweet deal for me, I made enough money to pay for my CFI and CFII and actually have enough left to eat well. I went into the bidding knowing I would never get that plane in the air, I just wanted to part it out.

This is (was) a good school. Where I got my ticket. Very familiar with their stuff. Wish I had 50K floating around.. :(

Back